Amazon Prime 5% cash back cc

Am I missing something, or are these essentially worthless?
The agreement I received says "Roadside Dispatch rates are pre-negotiated with local service providers" and
For $59.95 per service call, the program provides:
• Towing – Up to 5 miles included
• Tire Changing – must have good, in ated spare
• Jump Starting – battery boost
• Lockout Service (no key replacement)
• Fuel Delivery – up to 5 gallons (cost of fuel not included)
• Winching (within 100 feet of paved or county maintained road only)
That's about the same cost as a year of AAA (or was, last time I was a member). In all the years I was a AAA member, I only ever called them twice, so this would have been a better deal for me.

I agree. I was impressed with the modern appearance... no numbers on the front, for instance. It does appear to be metal but, if so, is non-ferrous -- aluminum perhaps.

It's manufactured the same as the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Marriott "branded" cards". I do like that since the numbers are "imprinted" that the CCV won't wear off. ;)

Also, I have been very impressed with Amazon. I don't have to deal with customer service often, but when I do...it goes off without a hitch. I can't think of any other organization THAT LARGE that can compete w/ their level of service.

And, you think Amazon is big now? Just wait... https://www.flexport.com/blog/amazon-ocean-freight-forwarder/

The agreement I received says "Roadside Dispatch rates are pre-negotiated with local service providers" and
That's about the same cost as a year of AAA (or was, last time I was a member). In all the years I was a AAA member, I only ever called them twice, so this would have been a better deal for me.

Plus the AAA discount on hotels can be substantial and pays for that annual fee if you use hotels a few nights a year.

In response to Capt Tom, my perspective is I really hate Amazon for offering items for sale without proper (or any, in some cases) specifications. I find customer reviews very unreliable and I blame Amazon for making it ok to describe an item as copper when it's made of brown plastic. I do find items that are very hard to buy elsewhere and regular cheap shipping is usually more than adequate for me.

You make a very good point. Things that are important to me (exact size, amperage draw, etc.) often aren't important to whoever writes the Amazon description. You do have to be careful.

But items like that usually have enough customer questions that someone else has asked the same thing. And the questions often add information I wouldn't have thought of. Items with few reviews, few questions and poor descriptions should be avoided.

Although there are a lot of sellers who don't seem to put much effort into their descriptions, I've found that Amazon's marketplace forces most sellers to really care about customer service. Even though many are not native English speakers, and it shows in their writing, they genuinely try to make things right. Competition is a good thing.

As I posted earlier, I applied for and received the new Amazon Prime card. Coincidentally (I guess) I received three emails that indicate my account has been hacked in some way:

1. A confirmation that my new Amazon Store Card has been approved - the name, Joe Kline, is not mine.
2. An order confirmation for two Apple watch bands to be shipped to Leonid Volkov.
3. A notice from Amazon that they have detected possible fraudulent activity and they've rolled back the recent transactions and locked my account.

Not sure what/how this happened but I'm glad they caught it promptly. I've reset my password and I think I'll go ahead and establish two-factor authentication.

Not sure what/how this happened but I'm glad they caught it promptly. I've reset my password and I think I'll go ahead and establish two-factor authentication.

Amazon has done this same thing for me several times (5+?) over several years. My only required action was to change my Password, although I did change Card Numbers with the bank. This is one of the reasons I am such a fan of Amazon.

In fact, one time they did it for no reason (that I could determine). They refunded the purchase price and told me to keep an item I did receive (and was happy with) because of "unauthorized use." No amount of arguing would change their mind... so I finally gave up and kept the money.

Several days ago I ordered this device: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NLKA...TF8&colid=3C1WQ28WQ291M&coliid=I27Z0BN0A22CTQ

Primarily to two-factor LastPass but also for Amazon and our many Laptops.

Things with third parties selling through Amazon have gotten very, very bad. There are quite a few fake items being sold by third parties - name brand peripherals, etc. You also have to be careful when an item is sold by X Company and fulfilled by Amazon.

But on the flip side AMZ generally sides with buyers in disputes. I bought what I thought was an iPad Mini for the wife a couple of years ago and got shipped a Playstation 3 controller instead. Seller did not respond to inquiries (obvious scammer, wasn't the only one to report this) and so I opened an A-to-Z dispute with AMZ. Got money back a week later.

If you're willing to dispute an item from a third-party the worst that will likely happen is that your money will be tied up for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom