Amazon Prime 5% cash back cc

I've got a Amazon Chase Visa card, but only the family Prime, not a paid-for Prime membership. So I only get 3%

However, just checked. I spent a little over $4,000 at Amazon over the past 12 months. The difference between a 3% rebate and a 5% rebate is less than $100, so it doesn't pay to get the Prime in my situation.

What about Prime video as well? If you can't use the Prime holder's card to get the 5%.

Okay, I was reading this article and saw the $70 Gift Card part. I had just been given a $50 Gift Card for applying (and being accepted) for a "Store" card. I wondered what would happen if I apply for the "Credit" card. Well, two minutes later I was accepted ($5,000 limit/14.74% variable APR) AND now have $120 in my Gift Card account.

It is true that Amazon is not in this to make a profit but merely to... I don't know what.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-amazons-new-credit-card-for-prime-members-worth-it-2017-01-12

What about Prime video as well? If you can't use the Prime holder's card to get the 5%.

My family member Prime doesn't get me the Amazon video. To use that, I have to log on with my son's login, since his is the account that actually paid for the Prime membership.

Something strange started happening this morning - I made a couple of Amazon orders using this new card last week totaling close to $300 and everything has worked fine but this morning I tried ordering a $6 item and received notice that payment had been declined. Cancelled the order, ordered it again, and received the same notice that payment had been declined. I logged into my Chase account and can see the previous orders have posted but nothing seems out of order.

My family member Prime doesn't get me the Amazon video. To use that, I have to log on with my son's login, since his is the account that actually paid for the Prime membership.

That's what I was trying to point out. With your own Prime membership you would get both the 5% and the Prime Amazon Videos. You already pointed out that the extra 2% would pay for the Prime membership, so you would get the videos for free.

If you don't care about the videos it's a wash.

Do you already have a Chase account? If so, they can already check your credit regardless if it's frozen or not.

Edit: I can confirm that with frozen credit, it will still "approve" if you have a Chase account. Oddly enough, my initial credit limit is $750. I haven't had a credit limit that low in a VERY long time. I suppose that since I already have in the neighborhood of $150K of available credit cards (including an initial $32,000 on the Chase Sapphire Reserve I got a few months ago) they are getting smart in *not* extending a large line of credit.

For all they know, you could skip the country ;):LOL::LOL::LOL:;)

That's what I was trying to point out. With your own Prime membership you would get both the 5% and the Prime Amazon Videos. You already pointed out that the extra 2% would pay for the Prime membership, so you would get the videos for free.

If you don't care about the videos it's a wash.

Hmmm....
Basically, I could have the Amazon Prime membership, not use my son's Prime Video account any longer and it wouldn't cost me anything in the long run. Thanks for explaining the options to me.

When I signed up for the Amazon Visa last Thursday, I got instant approval with a $5K credit limit. Today, I logged into my Chase account and noticed the new card appears there and the limit has been upped to $10K. That's still the lowest limit card we have, but it does seem as if they're doing additional evaluation after the initial approval. They didn't send an email about this or provide any other notification as far as I can tell.

Hmmm....
Basically, I could have the Amazon Prime membership, not use my son's Prime Video account any longer and it wouldn't cost me anything in the long run. Thanks for explaining the options to me.
Since your son lets you use his account to watch videos, clearly there is no benefit to having your own Prime membership.

Has anyone determined conclusively whether or not the 5% applies to ALL purchases on Amazon.com for Prime members? Earlier discussion on this point seems inconclusive.

Has anyone determined conclusively whether or not the 5% applies to ALL purchases on Amazon.com for Prime members? Earlier discussion on this point seems inconclusive.

Haven't had enough time pass to confirm through an actual transaction, but transcript of chat with amazon rep seems to bear out that ALL purchases qualify for 5% BACK:

Here's a copy of the chat transcript:

Initial Question: question about my amazon rewards card 5% back

10:33 AM PST Kiran (Amazon): Hello, my name is Kiran. I'm here to help you today.
Thank you for being a Prime member.
10:34 AM PST hesperus: hi, thank you, My question is if ALL purchases made through amazon.com with my card will be credited 5%, or if only selected purchases are?
10:35 AM PST Kiran: Thank you for the details.
Could you please allow me 1-2 minutes while I check this for you?
10:35 AM PST hesperus: yes, thank you
10:41 AM PST Kiran: Thank you for being online. I really appreciate your patience in this matter.
10:41 AM PST hesperus: OK, thx
10:41 AM PST Kiran: I'm sorry this took longer than expected.
The 5% cash back is for all the items that you purchase from Amazon.com.
10:42 AM PST hesperus: Ok, so this product, which is from a third party seller, is also going to give me 5% back? Even though it is not fulfilled by amazon? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DSY7L6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DR7HYJVQI5BJ
10:44 AM PST Kiran: Yes hesperus, you will revive the cash back for all the items that you place the order for with Amazon signature card that are sold on Amazon.com
10:45 AM PST hesperus: OK, thank you.

I tried, but Amazon split up the order I placed last Friday and they applied the $70 gift card to the non-prime item, which cost less than $70, so there was no cc transaction and no points. :facepalm: Maybe someone else has paid for a non-prime item in the last week and can let us know for sure.

The rest of my order was entirely prime items and it was also split into two transactions. Chase online shows the points earned for each transaction separately. E.g. the details under a charge of $21.31 show:

Rewards earned with this transaction
+ 5% Back on Amazon.com purchases 106.55
----------------------------------------------------------------
Total Points 106.55

When I signed up for the Amazon Visa last Thursday, I got instant approval with a $5K credit limit. Today, I logged into my Chase account and noticed the new card appears there and the limit has been upped to $10K. That's still the lowest limit card we have, but it does seem as if they're doing additional evaluation after the initial approval. They didn't send an email about this or provide any other notification as far as I can tell.

Same here

Impressed by this thread, since I spend a lot at Amazon.
Signed up last week got "maybe, within 30 days".
Letter in the mail yesterday asking me to unfreeze my credit report so they could evaluate it.
Did a temporary unfreeze, called them and got immediate approval for $8K and the $70 was put in my Amazon account as a gift card.
Great deal!

So I called Chase today to find out why, after two initial purchases on Amazon using this new card that Amazon made my default payment method immediately after approval, subsequent purchases were being declined. I haven't even received the actual card yet so all I know are the last 4 digits of the account number.

They transferred me to the fraud department, who told me that since it was a newly issued card and they hadn't yet determined a spending pattern for me, they froze the account until I called and confirmed that I had opened the account.

I asked why they didn't contact me instead, especially since they had raised the initial credit limit from $7K to $10K just a few days AFTER the initial transactions and then froze the account?

"Because we needed you to call and confirm you had opened the account".

But instead of me not knowing why the card was being declined every time I tried to use it, why didn't you contact me?

"I apologize for the inconvenience, but I've just reactivated your account and you can begin using it immediately".

LOL!

I got the 30-day 'maybe' response. Oh well :(

Given that I'm in my last year of work, and already having more line of credit than I could ever possibly need, I'm not worried. I get 5% back from Amazon w/ my Synchrony card and 1.5% back on all purchases w/ my Schwab AmEx. Works for me :)

Well well well - lookie what showed up in email today! Approved, $70 credit to my Amazon account, $5K LOC. Sweet!

Funny thing is - I think I'm more excited about the $70 cash gift than anything else LOL

We signed up for the "store" card around the time this thread started. Just got approved for the "real" card, too. We probably won't use it, since the store card already gives us 5%, but hey, 70 bucks is 70 bucks.

Anyway, just confirming that you CAN do both.

Well well well - lookie what showed up in email today! Approved, $70 credit to my Amazon account, $5K LOC. Sweet!

Funny thing is - I think I'm more excited about the $70 cash gift than anything else LOL
Nice!

Back in the old days (maybe five years ago), I think I only got $30 for signing up for this card.

But my husband also signed up for one separately, so he also got $30.

We signed up for the "store" card around the time this thread started. Just got approved for the "real" card, too. We probably won't use it, since the store card already gives us 5%, but hey, 70 bucks is 70 bucks.

Anyway, just confirming that you CAN do both.

Independent issuers, so they don't know about each other.

Received both my Chase rewards card and DH's authorized user card in the mail today. Both cards have the same number, and his Amazon account also shows the 5% rewards for this card.

I made an Amazon.com purchase Wednesday evening from a third party seller not fulfilled by Amazon. It finally posted to my credit card this morning, and the Chase website confirms that I got 5% for that purchase.

I also got the card in the mail yesterday, and the Rewards agreement says the following about the 5%:
5% Back for each $1 of eligible purchases made using your card account at Amazon.com. 5% Back is earned only on purchases made at Amazon.com (including digital downloads, Amazon.com Gift Cards, Amazon Fresh orders, Amazon Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third-party merchants through Amazon.com’s marketplace). 5% Back is not earned on purchases from merchants using Pay with Amazon, or purchases made at international Amazon retail sites (including but not limited to Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.co.jp), or any other website operated by Amazon, in Amazon’s sole discretion. This equates to $0.05 in % Back rewards, which is equal to 5 points, for each $1 spent.
The section on 3% back for non-prime members is the same, just with the lower reward %.

Impressed by this thread, since I spend a lot at Amazon.
Signed up last week got "maybe, within 30 days".
Letter in the mail yesterday asking me to unfreeze my credit report so they could evaluate it.
Did a temporary unfreeze, called them and got immediate approval for $8K and the $70 was put in my Amazon account as a gift card.
Great deal!

Same here. Applied with credit frozen, got the "30-day maybe" response, letter came a few days later, did temp unfreeze, called Chase and got immediate approval for $10K. The card was instantly available on Amazon along with the $70 gift card balance. Great deal indeed.

We already get 5% on gas, groceries, and drug stores via an old grandfathered AMEX Blue Cash with no annual fee. Now we'll get 5% on Amazon purchases, which is rapidly becoming our go-to place for practically everything. And we have the Fidelity 2% VISA for everything else.

Thanks for posting this. I have shunned applying for any new cards for several years but in the last 10 days I got the Target Red Card and now this one. Instant approval on both. Guess I'm a sucker for 5% cashback. My LOC is only 5k but that is more than adequate. I don't really spend too much with Amazon but I'm finding more things that I want are no longer in the stores. My gift card bonus is $50.

I think most people's credit limits are quite low on the Chase Amazon VISA. Heck, I think DH's limit was a whopping $1500 until about a year ago they raised it to $3000. Still it was well within what we ordered from Amazon in any month, so it wasn't a practical constraint as we use other cards outside Amazon. My credit limit was higher, maybe $4500? Hmmm - I guess it's good we tend to buy computers and camera gear through B&H in NY.

Back
Top Bottom