Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I guess it's good we tend to buy computers and camera gear through B&H in NY.
Us, too. This 5% thing is, most likely, going to be a game changer.

This is becoming like going to an Auction where you have to mentally add (subtract, in this case) from what you are actually going to pay. I hate that. (Just like I hate the custom of Tipping.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Us, too. This 5% thing is, most likely, going to be a game changer.

This is becoming like going to an Auction where you have to mentally add (subtract, in this case) from what you are actually going to pay. I hate that. (Just like I hate the custom of Tipping.)
Oh we always do the price compares including any discounts, etc. With the bigger tickets items B&H is very competitive, and they do a much better job of carefully packing pricey items for shipping.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh we always do the price compares including any discounts, etc. With the bigger tickets items B&H is very competitive, and they do a much better job of carefully packing pricey items for shipping.
I have no problem with B&H at all. In fact, I find them to be equal with Amazon in every aspect. They, for instance, both have the most friendly return/warranty policies. I do find Amazon to have quicker delivery times, however -- Denver is a lot further from New York than any of the Amazon Distribution centers. Nevertheless, I rate them as equals.

A side note: Yesterday, Amazon announced they were putting in a very large distribution center less than ten miles from our house. They have had a small presence here for the past year and I get same day deliver on about 25% of my orders now. I suspect this will change to delivery within an hour or two for the majority of purchases very shortly.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this is bigger than people realize. I may need to put a limit in for AMZN.

They will force sellers and resellers onto the Amazon platform, gathering even more data, and therefore further reducing and squashing costs and competition.

I added this CC to my wallet, along with Chase Freedom and the Delta Platinum...I switch three cards at a time on same day. Usually after beginning of the year...ran the table on Chase and Amex this year. $70 + companion ticket + 150 statement credit + 100 statement credit + 40,000 delta skymiles. They make up for my gains by charging interest.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I think this is bigger than people realize. I may need to put a limit in for AMZN.
I get a kick out of this. P/E ratio 186 and most people agree it's a good investment. Maybe this time it really is different?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #106

I agree that Amazon is bigger than people realize. I'm amazed at how much of my own purchasing has switched to them. We now have the two credit cards from them, and with Prime and the Amazon TV box replacing cable, we use them for that, too.

It is a little scary how big they've become. But I see it as a continuation of a long-standing trend. I recall the long list of department stores that we used to shop at, which seem to come and go fairly regularly.

Whether this is a good thing or not depends on your perspective. I love what Amazon has done to the old "shipping and handling extra" and "allow 6-8 weeks for delivery" tag lines that mail-order and on-line sellers were famous for. I love the interactive aspect of being able to read other customers' reviews, questions and answers. I love the way vendors bend over backward to keep customer satisfaction high.

I especially love that Amazon has single-handedly shaken up the shipping business. Senders used to charge buyers the "retail" shipping rate, then negotiate huge discounts with the shipping companies and keep the difference. It used to be items shipped for the "7-day" rate would be sent across the country overnight, then left in a nearby warehouse for 6 days before delivery.

Without going into larger socio-economic theories, I think Amazon has been very good for me, personally.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

In response to Capt Tom, my perspective is I really hate Amazon for offering items for sale without proper (or any, in some cases) specifications. I find customer reviews very unreliable and I blame Amazon for making it ok to describe an item as copper when it's made of brown plastic. I do find items that are very hard to buy elsewhere and regular cheap shipping is usually more than adequate for me.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #108

Thanks for posting this. I just signed up and instantly got approved as well as received the $70 amazon gift card! Since I have other Chase accounts, I'm hoping this one shows up automagically in my Chase account so I can manage the payments etc in one place. [EDIT] I just logged into Chase and sure enough it's there. Love it!

Also noticed the Amazon "store card" from Synchrony Bank which also offers 5% and is offering a $50 instant gift card...tempting because of the gift card, wondering if I should or just leave it. I've forgotten about so many cards I used to get a few years ago because of these 'one-time' goodies associated with them.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #109

As with CaptTom I'm a bit wary of Amazon's size but by the same token they have raised the bar on customer service for mail-order (or online) shopping because they've shown what is consistently possible, like two-day shipping. I'm sure other stores have liberalized (is that a word?) on return policies because of Amazon.

I buy most of my radio control model airplane stuff directly from Horizon Hobby simply because the nearest decent hobby shop is an hour away. And like Amazon the stuff is here in two days if the order is large enough. But I wouldn't expect that on say a $9 part. Likewise with B&H Photo and Adorama Camera, which I consider equals so I try to alternate orders - both are good companies at least in my experience.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
In response to Capt Tom, my perspective is I really hate Amazon for offering items for sale without proper (or any, in some cases) specifications. I find customer reviews very unreliable and I blame Amazon for making it ok to describe an item as copper when it's made of brown plastic. I do find items that are very hard to buy elsewhere and regular cheap shipping is usually more than adequate for me.
It does require a lot of work (a lot more than it used to), and if Amazon themselves is not selling the item I am very, very careful.

But overall their delivery is outstanding and makes my life so much easier. And I'm sure I spend more because of it, which is their entire motivation.

Things with third parties selling through Amazon have gotten very, very bad. There are quite a few fake items being sold by third parties - name brand peripherals, etc. You also have to be careful when an item is sold by X Company and fulfilled by Amazon.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #111
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
I think most people's credit limits are quite low on the Chase Amazon VISA. Heck, I think DH's limit was a whopping $1500 until about a year ago they raised it to $3000. Still it was well within what we ordered from Amazon in any month, so it wasn't a practical constraint as we use other cards outside Amazon. My credit limit was higher, maybe $4500? Hmmm - I guess it's good we tend to buy computers and camera gear through B&H in NY.
My Amazon Chase Visa limit jumped up to $12,500 a few months ago. Maybe it has something to do with us paying it off in full every month, no matter what the balance?
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think most people's credit limits are quite low on the Chase Amazon VISA. Heck, I think DH's limit was a whopping $1500 until about a year ago they raised it to $3000. Still it was well within what we ordered from Amazon in any month, so it wasn't a practical constraint as we use other cards outside Amazon. My credit limit was higher, maybe $4500? Hmmm - I guess it's good we tend to buy computers and camera gear through B&H in NY.
Mine is pretty low too, starting at $2500 (in 2014), then increasing to $3500 that same year. And there it sits. But that's OK with me, because it is really enough for my purposes. I pay it off in full automatically each month, so every month I have $3500 available to use.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
My Amazon Chase Visa limit jumped up to $12,500 a few months ago. Maybe it has something to do with us paying it off in full every month, no matter what the balance?
We always pay ours in full. I have never, ever not paid a card off every month.

I haven't checked our limits lately, but I don't think they are above $5K yet.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We always pay ours in full. I have never, ever not paid a card off every month.

I haven't checked our limits lately, but I don't think they are above $5K yet.
We pay our cards in full every month, also. The Amazon Prime Card (Chase) went from a $5,000 limit to $9,000 between the time of application and receiving the card in the mail two days ago. I still have not used it. <chuckle>
Old 01-24-2017, 07:40 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Crap. I got the wrong card.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

??
Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

What are the travel benefits of the Amazon card? I ask because I noticed that my Costco Visa has some descent travel insurance benefits in case I have to cancel a trip I paid for with the that card. But, IIRC, the amount they will pay is capped. So, maybe one could pay some expenses with the Amazon card, and others with the Amazon card and get more $$ coverage?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #118
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
What are the travel benefits of the Amazon card? I ask because I noticed that my Costco Visa has some descent travel insurance benefits in case I have to cancel a trip I paid for with the that card. But, IIRC, the amount they will pay is capped. So, maybe one could pay some expenses with the Amazon card, and others with the Amazon card and get more $$ coverage?
I don't think the Amazon card will help you with that. The card does have purchase protection but specifically excludes tickets (and cancelling a trip probably wouldn't meet their definition of a loss anyway). None of the other benefits look like they would help with a cancelled trip.

Card benefits are:
Auto Rental CDW
Purchase Protection
Extended Warranty
Lost Luggage
Baggage Delay
Travel Accident Insurance
Travel & Emergency Assistance
Roadside Dispatch
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing to add here, except that the physical card itself (I received mine in the mail over the weekend) is pretty impressive - very thick and almost fees like metal.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
Nothing to add here, except that the physical card itself (I received mine in the mail over the weekend) is pretty impressive - very thick and almost fees like metal.
I agree. I was impressed with the modern appearance... no numbers on the front, for instance. It does appear to be metal but, if so, is non-ferrous -- aluminum perhaps.