Amazon Prime on sale Friday

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
For those who would like to try Amazon Prime but haven't joined yet, here's a chance to get in at a lower cost.

On Friday, Amazon is giving a 20% discount off its wildly popular Prime service, which gives free two-day shipping, as well as access to a library of video and music.

Prime usually costs $99 dollars per year, but on Friday starting at 12:00 a.m. ET and ending at 11:59 p.m. PT, it will cost $79 for the year for new members.

Amazon Prime on sale for $79 Friday - Business Insider

Not to sound ungrateful for your kind tip...

Funny, in the past year, I've hardly bought anything via Amazon...have been going to other online stores. It just seemed as if Amazon didn't have the best prices for the things I needed.

I've managed to avoid Prime until now (seeing it as a marketing ploy that would lure me to buy more stuff because it's "convenient.")

Thanks for letting us know. I have been thinking about trying it and 20 per cent off will be nice.

Not to sound ungrateful for your kind tip...

Funny, in the past year, I've hardly bought anything via Amazon...have been going to other online stores. It just seemed as if Amazon didn't have the best prices for the things I needed.

I've managed to avoid Prime until now (seeing it as a marketing ploy that would lure me to buy more stuff because it's "convenient.")

The deals on shipping are just a part of Prime. I've gotten most of my value from the video and music.

I received one year free of Amazon Prime when I first signed up for American Express Everyday Blue card. It was really nice not to have to pay for shipping for heavier items.

I have the slowest (=cheapest) Comcast internet package at home so having Prime videos is not useful.

I recently bought a 2 TB portable hard drive and 16 GB of DDR3 RAM. I bought them on eBay when eBay was offering $15 off. And the prices came out very nice. :)

It irks me that I have to pay them (Amazon) so I can spend money.

I agree about Amazon prices and sales, they don't compete like they used to. I have Prime and it's OK..our 2 adult daughters get free shipping off our membership and we do watch a few videos so I probably won't cancel it but I wouldn't really miss it either.

I love Amazon and I love Prime. Get the Amazon Store Card and save 5%. We use Prime for videos. If you want to the cut the cord it's an option for another outlet of video content.

We did a similar Prime discount offer a few years ago. We found we didn't use the video or music. While we liked the 2 day free shipping, sometimes the item with Prime was more expensive than the same item without Prime. Most of the time we can wait more than two days and bundle a few items to get to the free shipping, now at $49.

Both of our sons have Prime (wouldn't live without it!) and one has been very nice about buying something if we just send him the link and then later we give him the cash. That's how I got my Instant Pot on a one day Prime deal in July.

I bet DH would like to do Prime again.

Both of our sons have Prime (wouldn't live without it!) and one has been very nice about buying something if we just send him the link and then later we give him the cash.

Lucky you. Both of my kids sent me links so that I can order them using my Prime, and sometimes they forgot the cash :)

Prime is great for gift giving when family and friends are far away. And we use it for some streaming TV along with Netflix as a replacement for cable which is far more expensive. Amazon prices are not as low as they used to be but they can be cheaper than getting in the car and driving about to buy just one or two things. But, yes, often, I can beat Amazon prices if the travel expense and convenience are not a big factors.

I can beat Amazon prices on line almost every time and the lower prices are often with free or low cost shipping. I see zero benefit to paying for Prime. Heck, I see little benefit to Amazon, except as pressure on other retailers to reduce prices.

The deals on shipping are just a part of Prime. I've gotten most of my value from the video and music.

+1. Amazon Video has become a big source of entertainment for us. But I am buying a lot less stuff from Amazon than I used to.

I received one year free of Amazon Prime when I first signed up for American Express Everyday Blue card. It was really nice not to have to pay for shipping for heavier items.

Compare other sources and you'll see Amazon Prime's prices for heavy items are usually adjusted upward. The effect is you are paying for "free" shipping. Similar applies to cash reward cards.

We did a similar Prime discount offer a few years ago. We found we didn't use the video or music. While we liked the 2 day free shipping, sometimes the item with Prime was more expensive than the same item without Prime. Most of the time we can wait more than two days and bundle a few items to get to the free shipping, now at $49.

Both of our sons have Prime (wouldn't live without it!) and one has been very nice about buying something if we just send him the link and then later we give him the cash. That's how I got my Instant Pot on a one day Prime deal in July.

I bet DH would like to do Prime again.

One of your sons might be able to add your account to their prime membership, it shouldn't cost them anything.

I love prime. I shop for price - and most of the time, with the free shipping, prime comes out cheaper.

Heck, I ordered a new bumper for my car on prime! LOL. It came in 2 days.

We stream video. I listen to music with it. I get my money's worth.

DD#1 told me yesterday that Prime Music has reduced it's catalog, and is promoting Amazon Music Unlimited, which requires a separate subscription ($8 per month). We use Prime music only when we go to the beach, and there are enough online alternatives to make this a "non-issue" for us, but she is unhappy.

I'm a heavy Amazon user: Prime member with a Kindle, an Echo at the main house, and an Echo Dot at the mountain house. It's not for everyone, but I feel I get a lot of value out of my Prime membership. Here are the Prime benefits that I use:

1. Free (or call it prepaid) two-day shipping. Amazon delivers to me 2-3 times per month. I don't like to shop, so when I need something it's just as easy for me to order from Amazon and have it show up on the doorstep two days later. Both DD's get free Prime shipping by being attached to my account. (I think this benefit went away a year or two ago, but they seem to be grandfathered in somehow). I use Prime to ship gifts to the girls and others. I probably pay for the Prime membership just with shipping costs.

2. Video streaming. I use it occasionally, and my daughters occasionally view using my login ID.

3. Kindle Owner's Lending Library. I can borrow one book per month from Amazon.

4. "Kindle First". At the beginning of each month, I choose one of six books for free. It's mine to keep.

5. Amazon Drive / Prime Photos. 5 GB of cloud storage for files with unlimited photo storage. I have the app set to automatically back up photos from my phone, iPad, and desktop. I'm currently using 3.6 GB of file storage and 19 GB of photo storage.

6. Prime Music. Up until recently, I rotated between free versions of Pandora / Spotify / Prime. But I am nearing the end of my 30-day free trial of Amazon Unlimited Music, and I'm probably going to continue the subscription. It's nice to be able to select specific songs, artists, albums, or genres. I can skip as many songs as I want. And no ads! The service integrates seamlessly with the Echo. There's a very inexpensive monthly subscription at $3.99 that's good only on one Echo, but since I have multiple Echoes and stream music from my phone I will likely opt for the $80/year subscription for Prime Members on multiple devices. If I wasn't a Prime member, the Unlimited Music subscription would be $10/month. So there's $40 saved.

When we had prime, we found their free video selection to be pretty limited, especially compared to Netflix. We've dropped Prime, but since we have a son in college, he gets a 6 month free trial subscription to Prime and can renew for $49 per year. We'll tag on to his account for next four years (and pay him back).

Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about trying Prime mostly for the shipping benefit so this is an incentive to give it a try.

I know I will sound like a dodo, but can someone please explain how to stream videos from Prime on my smart TV?

Don't see it. There is a list of about 10 apps including Netflix, Hulu etc by not Amazon Prime. My TV is about 3 yrs old. Is there a way to add it?

If I can't get it on my TV, I could still view videos on my laptop I guess. I watch Netflix mostly on my laptop anyway.

Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about trying Prime mostly for the shipping benefit so this is an incentive to give it a try.

I know I will sound like a dodo, but can someone please explain how to stream videos from Prime on my smart TV?

You might need a device connected to your TV and the internet like Apple TV, Roku, or Amazon's Firestick.

I use the Amazon Video app on my iPad and use AirPlay to send it to AppleTV which shows it on the TV. That works very well.

Roku and Firestick have the Amazon Video app built in, as far as I know. On those devices you hound be able to browse Amazo videos directly on you TV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom