Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon Prime- Shared account
Old 04-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon Prime- Shared account

I am considering sharing my Prime account with our daughter- who lives in another location.

If I do so, can she see my purchases or vice versa?

Also, does Amazon allow this arrangement? I could not find anything other than 2 adults, did not see anything about same household.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I am considering sharing my Prime account with our daughter- who lives in another location.

If I do so, can she see my purchases or vice versa?

Also, does Amazon allow this arrangement? I could not find anything other than 2 adults, did not see anything about same household.
DW and I share one. I never see her stuff.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've never shared officially, but have bought stuff using my Prime account then shipped to a friend's/relative's address. Guess that isn't technically considered sharing but they benefited from my Prime membership.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We share an account with our son (who lives in a different State).
Pro: he saves paying the fee
Con: I get to see what he buys (birthday/Christmas... presents)
Con: I get emails asking for reviews of products he buys
Con: I get his emails telling me about subscribe and save items about to ship (need to forward emails)
Con: I get texts about his packages shipping and arriving
Con: Occasional mistakes with billing. If he has a gift card balance I may use it by mistake (and visa versa). I've occasionally picked the wrong credit card form the list of buying options.

We still do it, so its not so bad overall, just a few minor irritants.
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Sharing is allowed only in the same household, so don't think a separate location would be allowed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200444180

EDIT: Looks like having a separate address doesn't disqualify sharing...
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sharing is allowed only in the same household, so don't think a separate location would be allowed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200444180
I was unaware of that policy but I've been doing it for the last two years without any attempt to hide the fact. We do share the same last name so maybe that's enough to be the same household.
Amazon says:
Quote:
Sharing Select Prime Benefits
Select Prime benefits can only be shared between the two adults in a Household. Customers who are Amazon Student Prime members (free trial or paid) or invited guests of other Prime members can't share their benefits.

Note: Both adults must agree to share wallets (i.e. credit/debit cards) in order to share the Prime benefits listed below.

The following Prime benefits can be shared between the two adults in the Amazon Household:

Fast & FREE Prime Shipping benefits
Access to Prime Video (streaming only)
Early access to Amazon Lightning Deals
Prime Photos (each household adult is eligible for their own personal Prime Photos account - actual photos and albums aren't shared between accounts)
Kindle Owners' Lending Library
20% off diapers subscriptions and 15% off Baby Registry discounts, compliments of Amazon Family
Fresh shipping benefits (for Prime Fresh members only)
So it's not clear to me that we are breaking any rules. The sharing wallets will stop most not family member sharing arrangements.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

edit: above poster beat me to it.

If you share an account, yes she can see your purchases. It is one account with one history.

From Amazon:

Sharing Select Prime Benefits

Select Prime benefits can only be shared between the two adults in a Household. Customers who are Amazon Student Prime members (free trial or paid) or invited guests of other Prime members can't share their benefits.
Note: Both adults must agree to share wallets (i.e. credit/debit cards) in order to share the Prime benefits listed below.
The following Prime benefits can be shared between the two adults in the Amazon Household:
  • Fast & FREE Prime Shipping benefits
  • Access to Prime Video (streaming only)
  • Early access to Amazon Lightning Deals
  • Prime Photos (each household adult is eligible for their own personal Prime Photos account - actual photos and albums aren't shared between accounts)
  • Kindle Owners' Lending Library
  • 20% off diapers subscriptions and 15% off Baby Registry discounts, compliments of Amazon Family
  • Fresh shipping benefits (for Prime Fresh members only)
From me: The shared wallet/debit card idea kills it for me. If you break their rules, you can be banned for life.
kypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Here is an article about streaming services' attitudes (if not policies) toward sharing accounts: The Guide to Password Sharing Across Streaming Services..

Amazon of course has more benefits and the shipping costs are probably where it really loses money from sharing among nonhouseholds. I'm looking at Amazon's site to see if there is a way to directly pay for someone else's Prime account but can't find a link.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wait I think the above is a list of ALL prime benefits. Now our 2 adult daughters and I have shared FREE prime shipping for everyone. We have completely private accounts and method of payments and emails. Now the only one that can stream or use the photo or book benefits is the one that pays the bill for the prime membership. Obviously we all have different names and address.

You send the person a link inviting them to share your membership they reply and have to add the DOB of the main prime member...to verify the invite and bingo they have free prime shipping
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
We share an account with our son (who lives in a different State).
Pro: he saves paying the fee
Con: I get to see what he buys (birthday/Christmas... presents)
Con: I get emails asking for reviews of products he buys
Con: I get his emails telling me about subscribe and save items about to ship (need to forward emails)
Con: I get texts about his packages shipping and arriving
Con: Occasional mistakes with billing. If he has a gift card balance I may use it by mistake (and visa versa). I've occasionally picked the wrong credit card form the list of buying options.

We still do it, so its not so bad overall, just a few minor irritants.
From your description, it sounds like you are sharing a single Amazon account with a single email address and password.

You can actually share your Prime benefits with a separate account via the Prime menu. My husband and I share Prime benefits, but we have separate payment methods and I can't see his orders or use his gift cards. I can see his Kindle books, because we have chosen the option to share our libraries.

I think both of us had to be sitting at the same computer in order to set that up though, which makes it difficult to do with someone in another location (unless you use some kind of remote control program to let him login to your computer). edited: I see ivinsfan says it's an email that requires a response. That's probably correct. It's been a while since we set this up.

To setup Prime sharing with another Amazon account, login and go to Your Account / Your Prime Membership. Scroll down and click on Share Your Prime benefits.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 AM   #11

The Amazon site says "Invite an adult family member and up to four child profiles to create an Amazon Household and start enjoying family benefits.", so I was curious as to how the account is shared with two adult children. Are adult children adults, or children, from Amazon's perspective?
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Amazon has so many student accounts, new Mom accounts, prime accounts and family accounts, I don't know what's what.

I hold the prime membership in our family and I entered the names , addresses and emails of our daughters and it was accepted without question. We have done this for a least 5 years.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
From your description, it sounds like you are sharing a single Amazon account with a single email address and password.

You can actually share your Prime benefits with a separate account via the Prime menu. My husband and I share Prime benefits, but we have separate payment methods and I can't see his orders or use his gift cards. I can see his Kindle books, because we have chosen the option to share our libraries.
You are correct - that's what we're doing. Great info to have (I love this site for this kind of info!)
I will have to explore separating the accounts, but we enjoy sharing the streaming and having access to shared audible books (son buys tons of audible book and we like to listen to many of his selections).
Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We don't have a shared account, but we do share the prime membership. I can't see DH's account. We share the membership when family visits from overseas (at which point they are sharing a household). We can't see their account history or vice versa.

I'm the only one that can stream video. So the only thing being shared is the shipping benefits.

So we didn't do the Amazon Household thing. That's not the only option.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #15

I must need to separate my wife and I as we just share the login credentials which allows us to see eachothers purchases and have access to all billing and shipping preferences for one and other.

I just logged in, and how you do this is go under account settings and Create Amazon Household.

You can add an adult, or a child.

Then it asks if you want to share oayment info:

If you do not want to select 'We do not authorize payment sharing. We understand that we will not be able to share any Prime benefits or digital content and that this will only allow us to manage child profiles with Amazon FreeTime. Learn more '

If you want to ship to a different address, login to the account you are purchasing with and add a new address, or select a different address on the Household account.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We don't have a shared account, but we do share the prime membership. I can't see DH's account. We share the membership when family visits from overseas (at which point they are sharing a household). We can't see their account history or vice versa.
Same here. MY DW signed up for it and shared the membership with me. We have our own separate Amazon accounts so we wouldn't normally see each other's purchases (not that we are being secretive, though, unless something is a gift) -- we use our own Amazon accounts for the purchase and use the same Prime membership.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Amazon Clamps Down on Prime Sharing
Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #17

Amazon Clamps Down on Prime Sharing

There's a lot of seemingly conflicted info on this thread but I found the following info that clarifies what happening with Prime benefit sharing. It appears that Amazon has clamped down on the benefit but those who shared previously may be "grandfathered" in.

Amazon Cuts Down On Prime Members Sharing Their Benefits | TechCrunch

Quote:
Amazon quietly rolled out a series of changes to its “Amazon Household” program and the ability for Prime members to share their shipping benefits. The changes are designed to limit the ability for customers to share Amazon Prime subscriptions with those who are not actually members of their immediate family, it appears.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #18

I should have mentioned that my interest is to share the Prime shipping with an adult daughter. Has anyone actually set up something similar under the new "household" rules? Do you have visibility to the other person's purchases? We wouldn't have a problem with visibility to each other's payment methods as long as they continued to be separate but it might not work if we saw each others orders.

Currently, she will have me order the item and then reimburse me later.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I should have mentioned that my interest is to share the Prime shipping with an adult daughter. Has anyone actually set up something similar under the new "household" rules? Do you have visibility to the other person's purchases? We wouldn't have a problem with visibility to each other's payment methods as long as they continued to be separate but it might not work if we saw each others orders.

Currently, she will have me order the item and then reimburse me later.
Yes, my husband and I are an Amazon Household. We have separate Amazon accounts with separate logins and email addresses, and we linked them specifically to share Prime features. We cannot see each others orders.

We also do not share payment methods. If we wanted to do that we could. There's a link to add a card from the other adult's wallet, after which he would have to enter his login and password to agree. The credit and debit cards we use are already on our joint accounts though, so I can't really see a reason to share them via Amazon.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post

Then it asks if you want to share oayment info:

If you do not want to select 'We do not authorize payment sharing. We understand that we will not be able to share any Prime benefits or digital content and that this will only allow us to manage child profiles with Amazon FreeTime. Learn more '
I am quoting this post but anyone can respond. I thought it made sense to add to this thread rather than start a new one.

I have an Amazon prime account. As it is, DH just uses it to buy things. But, he wants to buy me a Christmas gift from Amazon and doesn't want me to see the purchases. I think from what I've read that he can create an account and link to my prime account and I won't see his orders. I do have 1 question.

If we don't share payment methods does that mean that he does not get the benefit of Prime shipping? If so, then we probably have to share payment methods.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote