Amazon purchase... Aaauugghhh!

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, I started a CC thread and the Amazon Prime CC is a nice suggested option.
That got me thinking ... we are an Amazon Prime member and I checked my 2017 spending on Amazon ... ~ $5500 spent last year !!!!

Yuck, I almost threw up. Many items were nromal consumables but, there was also a lot of cr@p and sh@t that we bought.
That was a real eye opener.

Amazon makes it so easy to buy stuff that it can get out of hand.

How bad are we? Has anyone else done this lately?
This needs to be throttled down before I can retire.

Well, I started a CC thread and the Amazon Prime CC is a nice suggested option.
That got me thinking ... we are an Amazon Prime member and I checked my 2017 spending on Amazon ... ~ $5500 spent last year !!!!

Yuck, I almost threw up. Many items were normal consumables but, there was also a lot of cr@p and sh@t that we bought.
That was a real eye opener.

Amazon makes it so easy to buy stuff that it can get out of hand.

How bad are we? Has anyone else done this lately?
This needs to be throttled down before I can retire.

I spent almost $4K, and I am retired. But I did get 5% back...

I probably saved almost that in diesel that I would have burned driving around trying to buy the stuff locally.

We did spend a lot on Amazon, but most of it is stuff we would buy anyway. I am happy to see that at least it's easy to see how much you are spending on the main orders page.

We have a $200 rule. Anything that costs more than $200 on Amazon has to sit in the cart for a minimum of 24 hours. That is our "due diligence period" to consider if we REALLY need it. I would say that about 1/2 of the carted items are never bought and we have had zero regrets on it.

Maybe we're not so bad after all.

I like your $200 rule. I'll try and do that, if my wife buys in. : )

I spent about $750 CDN on Amazon last year. Mostly ebooks, clothing and household items.

Last edited:
Had 62 Amazon purchases for $7800. $4300 was for a TV.

I never thought that it would be this much. Prime is a problem.

Our Amazon was 3291.54. What I have noticed is that, while we may not be buying things we don't need, we sometimes get influenced by having such a variety. For example, my husband just picked up socks at Walmart before. Now he has selected a "more perfect sock" that costs much more and he won't take any other sock. So our cost on some ordinary items has risen. Paying attention to reviews can also have this affect.

We have a $200 rule. Anything that costs more than $200 on Amazon has to sit in the cart for a minimum of 24 hours. That is our "due diligence period" to consider if we REALLY need it. I would say that about 1/2 of the carted items are never bought and we have had zero regrets on it.

I think that is very wise of you to have that rule.

I have a similar rule in regards to Costco. Things that are somewhat impulsive, I get a separate receipt for. Then they sit on a shelf in the garage unused for a about a weeks. If I think I need them after a week fine, if not, they go back on the next trip to Costco.

thank you for stimulating the economy. my investment accounts thank you.

Does Amazon add this up for us? If so I forgot how to find it... :duh: Thanks in advance.

I had 40 orders in 2017, but don't have a total cost yet.

I spent a little more then $6,100 last year...

I try to buy everything I can on Amazon or some other online store... I hate going to brick and mortars...

Does Amazon add this up for us? If so I forgot how to find it... :duh: Thanks in advance.

I had 40 orders in 2017, but don't have a total cost yet.

I don't see where Amazon adds up the dollar amount - just the total number of orders. I got my total dollar amt from Quicken

I don’t buy anything on Amazon before putting it in my Wish List and leaving it there for several days. It’s amazing how wants disappear with a little hindsight.

I can almost always find what I want, with the options I want, on Amazon and save hours of store and travel time. Unless I need something today so desperately that I'm willing to accept whatever almost match I can find in a local store for higher price than Amazon, it's just easier and quicker.

I don't see where Amazon adds up the dollar amount - just the total number of orders. I got my total dollar amt from Quicken
you have to request a report in the orders section
Oh, OK. Thanks.

I added it up manually from my Orders page, just now, before I saw your posts (oops).

My 40 orders in 2017 total $3928.40. That includes a Prime Pantry box every month.

As long as my Amazon spending is less than, oh, say, $20K, I'm fine with it.

I buy very little from Amazon, usually less than $500/yr. It's a very rare occasion when I can't buy the same item for less somewhere else online.

My recent Amazon purchases have definitely been increasing:
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 3.15.54 PM.png

Where do you go to check this? I took a glance at my orders page and I had 17 orders for approx $800

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom