Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

hurricane wilma blew the bubble away. summer 2005. our lights went out for two weeks and when they came back on we found that the market had slipped away in the dark.

i'm still stunned with my new awareness of all the 0% down loans that were actually made, never mind the 120% loans or whatever companies were giving away. i remember hearing them advertised but i seriously never took it seriously. i thought it was bait and switch, just another advertising scam to lure people into the door. i had no idea anyone was actually walking away with one.

boy, that's the last time i throw out my junk mail without reading it. i hope the mailman can find me in my car in the garage of my house.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i thought it was bait and switch, just another advertising scam to lure people into the door. i had no idea anyone was actually walking away with one.
Fifty years from now, people will read about this episode and chuckle at what we are living through today. Stranger than fiction!
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #23

"American Nightmare - Whose fault is it?"

Perhaps it's the fault of our parents & grandparents. You may know them as "the greatest generation".

Those who created, built, & sustained this Ponzi scheme of big federal nanny government taking care of (controlling?) the people, taxation of personal income, the new deal, the great society, socialization and redistribution of private wealth & property, etc, etc - and created a psychological mindset among the people that this is what the government is for instead of being restricted to it's few limited constitutional functions.

Our ancestors are probably rolling in their graves. Only return to the ideals/principles that created this country will save it in the long run. Limited Government - Individual Freedom - Personal Responsibility - Private Property - etc Otherwise our system is probably doomed, hopefully not in my lifetime, but very probably in our children's. It is unsustainable.

(ok - rant over)
Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't get this either. This was initiated because she lost her job as a notary? Is that actually a full time occupation? And she draws SS and has family. I can only conclude the artical does not tell the full story.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #25

I'm glad I have a paid for RV on a paid for .66 acres as a fall back plan. It would suck in the winter tho... Beats sleeping in an SUV.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote