Americans seem to be fed up with frugality

New local Mexican kitchen All day happy hour on Sundays 2.95 margaritas and 2 dollar street tacos and of course free chips and salsa....we have got to get out of the house a couple times a week so we try to pick a nice place and usually split a dinner or I just eat off hubby's plate and have soup. Too many calories to eat a whole dinner..but all the restaurants by us are usually busy no recession here

I would agree with the premise in the OP. My husband and I go out to eat lunch at a thai place near my work about every 6 weeks. (I brown bag in leftovers the rest of the time.)

We noticed during the trough of the recession, there was ample parking in the strip mall that has this thai restaurant (as well as mexican, 2 fast food joints, a subway sandwich place, and a food court with 4 small restaurants.) Lately it's gotten to the point that the parking lot is completely packed.

We attribute it in part to rampant hiring by Qualcomm - which is in the area - as well as other high tech software/hardware/biotech companies.

I have no idea which is right, so I am not challenging the OP, but here are two recent links suggesting just the opposite.

Americans Cut Restaurant Spending as Taxes Bite: EcoPulse - Bloomberg

http://restaurant-hospitality.com/consumer-trends/trend-watch-why-fine-dining-could-fade

My point, you can find a (reasonably) convincing article supporting almost any POV on the misinformation superhighway...

Our restaurant spending has been mostly unchanged for many years, but we're borderline foodies, one data point.

Last edited:
I take my wife out to a nice restaurant at least once a week. Depending on the place, we usually spend $70 to $200. Been doing that since we got married. Outside of the usual living expenses (food, utilities, etc.), we don't really spend much on anything else, so I still consider us to be frugal. We much prefer spending our money on experiences (dining, weekend getaways) than on "stuff".

We've also been noticing that the restaurants are getting fuller lately, even in the middle of the week.

Last edited:
I think that how you feel about this may depend on where you live. We spent a fair amount of time in Florida in Dec, Feb, and March.

We noticed many half full shopping malls, lots of closed restaurants, etc. We saw many sandwich boards outside stores-especially barbers/hair salons for $8. hair cuts. We were a little surprised.

We also noticed, for the first time, quite a few elderly women working in retail stores.

I hope that the economy is improving for those folks.

When we are not travelling, we typically (3/4 of the time) will only go out to eat with friends or extended family. Yeah, so not too often with just those living at home (currently DW and DD2). So the extra expense seems more justified since it's a true social event.

But I'm often surprised at these fairly expensive restaurants with families that don't appear to be rolling in money, yet very comfortable in this kind of dining experience, as if they do it all of the time. Makes me feel like we should go out more often. I think that the name of that family I mentioned earlier was "Jones" :)

We received a gift certificate for a chain restaurant for Christmas. The closest location to us was in a relatively low income part of our metro area.

When we went out to use the certificate, I was surprised to see the place packed and how much people were spending (presumably not everyone else had gift cards) on what I thought was kind of bland, chain restaurant food. Some of the people had 6 - 10 people in their groups and the entrees were $12 - $20 each, plus drinks, appetizers, desserts, tax and tip.

Restaurants sales at all-time high as recession fades - NBC News.com

They're either living in a different reality from me, or they're simply ignoring the reality that frugality is the new level spending plan.

I don't know that I would describe it as people being fed up with frugality as people feeling secure in their jobs and seeing the economy improving to the point where they are comfortable spending.

The idea behind the Fed's easy money policy is to get people to spend money and get the economy moving! Car and truck sales are way up. Home sales are way up. All this translates into more restaurant, manufacturing, financial, construction and retail jobs. Increasing profit expectations are moving the market higher. People feel wealthier and spend more than they would if the market was going down. The Fed appears to be accomplishing what their objective.

Last edited:
I think most of us fall into this part of the article:

"However, many of the Americans who are spending less say it’s their new normal. That’s especially true for individuals closest to retirement age. About 46 percent of people in the 50 to 64 baby-boom age bracket say they are spending less."

When I ER'd 2+ yrs ago I cut out our wine club purchases. Limited the price I will pay for wine. Started frequenting new dining spots for lunch instead of dinner. And we set a limit on the amount we are willing to spend on "expensive" dinners meaning we may cut out wine or desserts to keep the cost down. So I probably go out to more restaurants now but at a lower cost per meal. I continue to buy local/seasonal/organic foods for cooking at home. I admit it . . . DW and I are foodies . . . but I'm just more frugal about it these days.

I notice a lot of the nicer restaurants are now charging $4 for one 12 ounce bottle of Budweiser. :nonono: I just get water in that case. $4 is just way too high, imo, and I'm surprised folks apparently do pay that much. Well, I can always go to my favorite Italian place where the 23 ounce draft of local brew is only $3. :)

I stopped ordering anything with alcohol in it years ago because the prices were so high. We usually just get iced tea or coffee.

That is of course when we go out for meals at all, which is pretty rare.

I frequently order beer out at bars / restaurants. I love beer - and frequently beers I'd like to try are available only on draft and not in bottles/at home.

I try to limit spending on many, many things, but this isn't one of them. I need to enjoy some of my life now and not save everything for an uncertain future.

I notice a lot of the nicer restaurants are now charging $4 for one 12 ounce bottle of Budweiser. :nonono: I just get water in that case. $4 is just way too high, imo, and I'm surprised folks apparently do pay that much. Well, I can always go to my favorite Italian place where the 23 ounce draft of local brew is only $3. :)
I don't buy beer in typical restaurants (especially chains) because all they have is Inbev and MillerCoors stuff. Totally not worth the money or the calories. Local places with craft beer, I'll buy one, but usually time my visit on nights when pints are $3 or so. The only beer I drink at home is my home brew. That's $10 a pint ($0.50 for ingredients and $9.50 labor :LOL:)

In the hunter gatherer days you had to be concerned about falling into a pit of vipers.

That's how I look at eating in restaurants. Forget the cost, add oil salt and surger to anything and it tastes good. It's your health that gets ruined, it just takes longer.

Restaurants are todays modern viper pit. Tell me something more dangerous to our body that we're continually exposed to on a daily basis.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm on my way to McDonald's.

Our restaraunts visits have decreased a great deal, and we find we are satisfied sharing a meal, since most places provide more food on an order than one can eat. We were speeding 450 to 650 a month eating out. Haven't worked out what we currently spend, but it's a lot less. Have more time to prepare a meal, and not tired after working all day lol.

I frequently order beer out at bars / restaurants. I love beer - and frequently beers I'd like to try are available only on draft and not in bottles/at home.

I try to limit spending on many, many things, but this isn't one of them. I need to enjoy some of my life now and not save everything for an uncertain future.

I understand, EarlyGuy. I will spend $5.50 for a pint of Sam Adams Lager (pretty good from a bottle, but terrific on tap) on tap at a restaurant, or $4.50 for a draft pint of Oatmeal Stout from a local brewpub, once in a while, just to get in some fun while I'm still on the planet. :cool:

I think more restaurant sales are less about people being less frugal and are more about more people not knowing how to cook. :D

I take my wife out to a nice restaurant at least once a week. Depending on the place, we usually spend $70 to $200. Been doing that since we got married. Outside of the usual living expenses (food, utilities, etc.), we don't really spend much on anything else, so I still consider us to be frugal. We much prefer spending our money on experiences (dining, weekend getaways) than on "stuff".

Exactly the same here. I view eating and drinking well as the foundation of a good life. I would rather delay my exit than give that up now and after retirement.

Not necessarily picking on you, IBWino, but I was amused by your comment that you"take your wife out to dinner", a phrase I can't remember the last time I heard. Maybe when DH and I were dating 25 years ago.

He's not offered to "take me out" since, and nothing entertains the waiters in our favorite Mexican place more than his saying in incredibly bad Spanish, some version of "la cuenta por favor, for mi esposa", because I've always got my wallet on me and he doesn't!

But very cute, your description. I'll tel him once he becomes a kept man later this summer that I will take him out for dinner occasionally. :)

I agree with HillCountry. A huge amount of this spend is expensed as business meals. IMO almost all "business meetings" include catered lunch or a lunch out. You can probably eat lunch every day in our office on the company if you know how to work the system.

For many people eating out with friends is as much or more a social experience as it is a source of nutrition. Also, it is one splurge that is limited in cost and does not force a commitment to future expenditures (such as buying a expensive sports car or a vacation home).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm on my way to McDonald's.
I was pleased with the nutrition web app on Dairy Queen...I'm doing very low carb, and it allows you to uncheck standard ingredients and recalculate the nutrition facts!

For many people eating out with friends is as much or more a social experience as it is a source of nutrition. Also, it is one splurge that is limited in cost and does not force a commitment to future expenditures (such as buying a expensive sports car or a vacation home).
+1
I almost want to start put dining out into the entertainment category since most often, we meet our buddies for meals out.

When we travel in the US we often split an entrée. We find that the portions are too large and are not particularly healthy. We are not certain why the portions are so large. We don't want to take a doggy bag when we are travelling. What we notice in our rent travels that many restaurants are running specials to get people thru the door. We tend to avoid the chains and go with local, family run, single location eateries that are often not on the main drag.

And what's with all those fries that they want to load the plates up with or those sandwiches made from fried chicken, etc:confused:?? Yuk!

Our restaurants have had fairly full parking lots, even when the economy was bad, during the last few years. I am speaking of chain restaurants, but have no idea of how the nice restaurants are doing.

We do not go out to eat that often, unless we are traveling, or meeting friends for lunch. We do not share meals, even though the sizes are so big, because we do not enjoy the same type of food. DH commented that his friend and him had eaten a couple of times at this restaurant and that it had great food. He received a gift certificate to it and we ordered food to go the other night. I did not think that the food was good. He likes it. Different strokes.

Back
Top Bottom