Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

AMEX needs my birthdate??
Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AMEX needs my birthdate??

I've held an AMEX card since 1977 --almost 40 years.

I got a letter in the snail mail yesterday on AMEX letterhead telling me to call the number on the back of the card (ok, must be legit) and to tell the person that I got this letter because they do not have my birth date and that they'd take it from there.

When I called, the nice lady had no idea what I was talking about. After being on hold while she checked with her supervisor, I was instructed that I had to copy my SS card and my drivers license and fax it to a certain number.

I answered that I wasn't the one with the problem and that I had no plan to jump through such hoops. She said it was the only way they could accept my birth date; couldn't do it over the phone. Again, I replied that I wasn't the one with the problem and after 38 years can't understand why suddenly I need to give them a birth date.

So. I hung up without writing down the fax number and have no intention of spending any of my (extremely valuable ) time on this nonsense.

Anyone else go through this?

The only thing I can think of is that this winter I signed up for additional car rental insurance through AMEX, for which they did need my birth date which I provided at the time; other than that, I'm stumped.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I know AMEX has my birthdate. But my cards were obtained sometime after 2000, so its possible they need it for security purpose. But that is just me guessing.

If you called back, what would the next CSR say?
You could submit a support request through email and ask for a thorough explanation.

CC's are becoming a huge PIA...
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

If I were you, I would do nothing.
If they need it bad enough, they'll tell you why and make it easy.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Aww, they wanna send you a bday card! Seems likely it's so they can more easily hunt you down if you don't pay. Clearly after only 38 years you don't have enough of a track record yet.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If I were you, I would do nothing.
If they need it bad enough, they'll tell you why and make it easy.
That's exactly what I plan to do.

As I said, I'm not the one with the problem. And there's always my Visa card if they get too snooty about it.

Funny, I got a survey on email based upon my experience from that call...I gave them my answers; we'll see if anything comes of it.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Acting like that they must think there are part of Direct TV or the IRS or maybe even a medical insurance company.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Any chance it's from FIA cardholder services. Based on recent conversations with them, they must be some serious systems issues.

I'm seriously considering closing my account. I'm not sure even that will correct the problems.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:

I answered that I wasn't the one with the problem and that I had no plan to
jump through such hoops.
I would have responded in a similar manner. Perhaps you could call again (if you have the time) but this time ask to speak with a supervisor in person. Ask for a more logical reason for their request. Do they wish to sell you an annuity? Life insurance? (Both requite a DOB.)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Found this online:
Card User’s Birth Date is used for account servicing and to activate the Card. Please note you need to be thirteen years of age or older to use the Card.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your Birthday is public record anyway, just give it to them. If I had your full name like AMEX does, I could have your DOB in 2 minutes!
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Your Birthday is public record anyway, just give it to them. If I had your full name like AMEX does, I could have your DOB in 2 minutes!
I have no problem in giving it to them.

THEY require that instead of just phoning in and telling someone, I have to FAX (who uses faxes anymore?) a copy of my SS card and a copy of my driver's license. They may also have said it needed to be notarized, but by then I had completely stopped listening.