Join Early Retirement Today

Amt 2010
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amt 2010

Anyone have any thoughts on whether we are likely to see a last minute patch go thru on AMT for the 2010 tax year?

I know I am hoping so as otherwise we are going to have to pony up a few bucks. I wish they would do a permanent fix on this tax as no way do we have excessively high income and have no deduction besides high State taxes which we lose under AMT.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our income isn't excessively high either - but we've been paying AMT for years. I budget for it now.

I would be astonished if Congress fixed AMT. They don't know to pay the country's bills as it is. (No intention of starting a political rant).

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Odds are there will be wheeling and dealing to get the patch. Can't go from 4 million paying AMT to about 25 million without serious fallout. But then again, I thought that the estate tax would be fixed before it went to zero this year.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have heard on the news that the AMT will likely be patched again this year (there seems to be broad consensus about it as both parties refuse to increase taxes on the middle class).
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on whether we are likely to see a last minute patch go thru on AMT for the 2010 tax year?

I know I am hoping so as otherwise we are going to have to pony up a few bucks. I wish they would do a permanent fix on this tax as no way do we have excessively high income and have no deduction besides high State taxes which we lose under AMT.
Best SWAG is that the AMT will be used as a bargaining chip by the dems to make the pubs go along with "temporary" instead of "permanent" tax "cuts" on the "wealthy". I could be wrong, of course. I was once.

Ultimately, they always seem to get around to doing the AMT patch, but it's getting pretty close to complete this year. They can still fix it first of next year in some retroactive bill, I think.

Not to get political (Mods feel free to delete) but do you 'spose AMT patches, last-minute fixes and other manipulations are why Congress' poll numbers are lower than dirt?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Probably do a one year patch again, I think it will be difficult to get any meangingful legislation done with a split majority Congress.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think they'll just kick the can down the road again this year and renew last year's can-kicking.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What AMT? Heh heh heh...

Ever since my wife quit working and I worked part-time, we have been paying so much less tax than before.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Administrator

I expect they will patch it again. If they do actually make some of the changes recommended by that commission and get rid of a bunch of deductions, and raise the standard deduction substantially they should have no problems getting rid of AMT altogether.