Join Early Retirement Today

And I Fired Five Years Early ...
Old 07-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

And I Fired Five Years Early ...

A refresher. I joined a few months ago with the intention of retiring in 5 years at 55.

Situation was lots of assets: $2M in After Tax Accounts, $2M in Before-Task Accounts, $1M+ in primary and rental properties all paid off. But current pension was $24K per year and if I waited 5 years it would jump to $60K per year and my medical coverage would be 100% not 70%.

But low and behold, got called in on Friday and told they are offering early retirement incentives. Retire now and I get five years service credit hence get the $60K a year pension. A quick back of the envelope shows I lose out on $300K x 5 = $1.5M salary but get $300K in pension so net loss is $1200K but I already have enough saved up. But I didn't have extra time and now I do!

Thanks to all and I'm out of here!
KingOfTheCheapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!
Flyfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheCheapos View Post
A refresher. I joined a few months ago with the intention of retiring in 5 years at 55.

Situation was lots of assets: $2M in After Tax Accounts, $2M in Before-Task Accounts, $1M+ in primary and rental properties all paid off. But current pension was $24K per year and if I waited 5 years it would jump to $60K per year and my medical coverage would be 100% not 70%.

But low and behold, got called in on Friday and told they are offering early retirement incentives. Retire now and I get five years service credit hence get the $60K a year pension. A quick back of the envelope shows I lose out on $300K x 5 = $1.5M salary but get $300K in pension so net loss is $1200K but I already have enough saved up. But I didn't have extra time and now I do!

Congratulations! Nice surprise! Don't worry about the loss of earned income since you have a plush nest egg, time>>money
NgineER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When the universe says jump, it's time to jump.

Enjoy.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

Huzzah!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

Luck is what happens to the well prepared!
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:

Good call. The “lost” income is irrelevant if you look at it from a quality of life perspective. Unless you drop dead on the job, you will always leave money on the table. I retired at 50 and I live the most amazing and happy life and doing a lot of the things I’ve also wanted to do but didn’t have time. You will love retirement.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:

I would walk out the door with the 60k pension even if I had nothing else.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #9

Congratulations.
Enjoy retirement!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:35 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #11

Great news! Congrats.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

50-55 is worth more than 1.2M unless you love your work and it doesn't cause any damages to your health.

60k + rental income a year alone should be sufficient to live on in majority or f the situations when you are not working.
teetee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #13

Congrats! Enjoy!

The universe must've caught wind of your 5-year plan and moved it up for you!

Time>Money

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
I would walk out the door with the 60k pension even if I had nothing else.
With 4 million liquid and 1 million RE paid for. I'd be gone yesterday!

Assuming I wasn't spending more than 150k/year
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

You're leaving
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Say "Thank you and Adios"!!!!!
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
You're leaving

You know the OP joined here less then two months ago, has started 14 threads and made all of 80 posts . And now he got a miracle severance offer that gave him exactly what he said he wanted in his first post. It's a modern day miracle, I'm going to be watching for his book.

He should buy a lottery ticket, he would just need one ticket.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Say "Thank you and Adios"!!!!!
Yeah. I've learnt a lot but there are quite a few people who were rude in their responses to my posts and downright offensive and antagonistic in their personal messages (they in fact asked me to leave the forum!).

Life's too short to waste so I'm off to greener and friendlier pastures. But thanks to those who were helpful.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #19

It is nice when a plan comes together. Well done!
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:56 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
It is nice when a plan comes together. Well done!
I got lucky with the cost-cutting exercise our company is doing. I think their hope is they can fill my position with someone who gets paid less than ($1.5M - $300K) / 5 per year. Hopefully it will be a win-win situation for the company and I.

But there were some awfully upset people who plan to retire in > 5 years ...