Join Early Retirement Today

Anna Schwartz Interview-Excellent!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anna Schwartz Interview-Excellent!

The two living people I admire without reservation in the economic sphere are Paul Volcker and Anna Schwartz. Here is an excellent interview with Dr. Schwartz.

Financial Sense Newshour with Jim Puplava

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wow.....what an amazing 94 year old! Clearly right on the ball. Thanks for the link.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Administrator

Feisty. She likes Volcker and doesn't seem to hold many incumbents in high esteem. I share that opinion. She really takes off around minute 38 - fed chief, is inflation inevitable deficit financing, and so on.
Quote:
No! ... You need somebody with the strength of character, with the objective understanding of what the problem is, and the insistence that you have to follow through on a program to reduce the size of budgets ...
Thanks for the link, Ha.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Anna Schwatz is one of my favorite living economists(to be exact her and meltzer are my two favs). Thanx for the link, I love listening to Anna, but seldom search for her recent pieces. It would probably have been another 2 months before I searched for the Schwatz pieces out there.

Paul Volcker, love the man, but I wouldn't put him in the top 10. The deal with Volcker is that he was good at taking orders. First, at a meeting of international bankers in 79-80, he was told that if he didn't do something about the dollar they(the bankers) would no longer support it. He came back and informed Jimmy Carter that his "hands were tied". Then he admitted that Reagan economists called him like every two weeks ordering him around. They said if he didn't listen they wouldn't provide him cover. Basically they were telling him that he was being a pu$$y and that he needed to be a lot more forceful in contracting the money supply. Finally, in 82 what they were trying to do happened, and inflation starting falling back down.
dshibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you so much, this is the by far the best interview I've ever heard with Anna.

I was particularly suprised by her saying that the practice of mergers should be substantially limited. I'll tell you that I have held the position for sometime that the practice of mergers should be outlawed. I personally think the only way for two companies to come together is if one of the companies can furnish all the capital necessary to purchase the other one. The idea of swapping shares of stock, I think is a inherently stupid and not fair to share holders. The act of merging is anti-competitive, leads to huge inefficiencies, leads to bad management, leads to companies "to big to fail", and is at least 75% of the problem of companies being "to big to fail". I love the fact that she has given me more support in my assertion.

I don't like it the same way that I don't like unions spanning across more than one company, such as the UAW or the Teamsters. The idea that a union can apply a uniform standard to multiple companies is pathetic. Different companies have different models, different customers, etc. employees should negotiate based on the conditions in their company, not based on the conditions of any other company. Multi-company unions are also anti-competitive, hugely inefficient, leads to bad contracts hurting their industry, etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Speaking or Dr. Schwartz and current events, here's a quote (not hers) taken from November 8, 2002 at a conference to honor the late Milton Friedman shortly after his 90th birthday (my emphasis added):

Quote:
Let me end my talk by abusing slightly my status as an official representative of the Federal Reserve. I would like to say to Milton and Anna: Regarding the Great Depression. You're right, we did it. We're very sorry. But thanks to you, we won't do it again.
The speaker?

Ben Bernanke.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember that one. What a POS.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow.....what an amazing 94 year old! Clearly right on the ball. Thanks for the link.
I finally had a chance to listen to this last night. Wow - outside of the creaky old characteristics in her voice, one would never realize she is at that age.

As I was trying to absorb the questions, she's already rifling off her response with facts, figures, and memories of past events without hesitation. Amazing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Ha.

In case anyone else is late to the party, it's the third one under May 9.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote