Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Annuities as an Investment
Old 07-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Annuities as an Investment

Please help me out.

The question is: What internal rate of return on invested money is Vanguard SPIA allowing to calculate the payouts on their annuities?

I contend that if I buy an SPIA from Vanguard or invest in a mutual Fund that pays 6% annualized and take the same withdrawals each year from each investment, my annuity will be worth $0 when I die at age 86 and my Mutual Fund balance would also be $0. The investment outcome is the same.

Is that correct?

If anyone would like to help but needs the actual numbers to check it out, I will get the payout numbers from Vanguard.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The question doesn't make sense. It sounds like you found a specific time period during which an SPIA ending when you die will equal a steady 6% return of the same initial principal running down to zero at the same time you postulate your death -- so what? If you died sooner, your mutual fund would have outperformed. If you die later your SPIA would outperform.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The question doesn't make sense. It sounds like you found a specific time period during which an SPIA ending when you die will equal a steady 6% return of the same initial principal running down to zero at the same time you postulate your death -- so what? If you died sooner, your mutual fund would have outperformed. If you die later your SPIA would outperform.
All I want is confirmation that the Vanguard SPIA (AIG) payout available at this time is an equivalent investment to investing in a 6% returning mutual fund. That is for someone around age 53, living to around age 86. That is all. Plug in your own numbers at Vanguard and see what you get. It's already been done but some continue to think 6% is grossly overstated.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
All I want is confirmation that the Vanguard SPIA (AIG) payout available at this time is an equivalent investment to investing in a 6% returning mutual fund. That is for someone around age 53, living to around age 86. That is all. Plug in your own numbers at Vanguard and see what you get. It's already been done but some continue to think 6% is grossly overstated.
Sometimes these hard to explain quests are just best done by oneself. Even if someone gives you an answer, you will never be sure he has understood it the same way that you intend. I know I have no idea what you are after, even though it seems clear to you

Ha
Old 07-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sometimes these hard to explain quests are just best done by oneself. Even if someone gives you an answer, you will never be sure he has understood it the same way that you intend. I know I have no idea what you are after, even though it seems clear to you

Ha
I guess I should give up. I am 100% confident in my calculations on annuities but what does it matter. I just put forth a few calculations about the viability of that investment and looked for reasonable input on those calculations. What I get is rude comments about how much of a stupid idiot I must be. I cannot show something to someone who isn't "open minded enough" (and I don't see how that can be argued) to look at some simple investment calculations and see what they say. Making arguements (insults included) that calculating an internal rate of return on a simple straight forward investment is meaningless (or somehow rigged to make annuities look better) seems to me to be beyond belief. Am I wrong?

In the end it doesn't matter, I'll do what is best for me. (I'm sure the first part will be quoted, another common insulting tactic)

How would you suggest I deal with insulting comments on this forum? Obviously I didn't handle the last one's very well. I thought personal insults were beyond the rules. Is this forum a fair exchange or just a forum for a few approved points of view?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You started this thread with "Please help me out" but it is obvious you want to make a point. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to just make your point without inviting us to go to a web site and input some numbers.

And, you can bet you'll get a better reception if you haven't already said the same thing 20 times before. If you have a novel way of presenting it this time, go ahead.

Another tip: Avoid peppering your post with insults. It doesn't add to the credibility of the information.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do what I can to help.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You started this thread with "Please help me out" but it is obvious you want to make a point. In my opinion, the best thing to do is to just make your point without inviting us to go to a web site and input some numbers.

And, you can bet you'll get a better reception if you haven't already said the same thing 20 times before. If you have a novel way of presenting it this time, go ahead.

Another tip: Avoid peppering your post with insults. It doesn't add to the credibility of the information.
Good point, I did want to make my point to show that the insults I have been recieving are unfair. An emotional response.

Sorry for repeating it, but many tiime when I post, shortly after I get the "here's the stupid person who thinks annuities have a 6% IRR" response. If it was in jest that would be fine, but it is not. I want to prove to them they are wrong, sorry an emotional response.

I don't see where I pepper insults "except in response to issues involving the above", an emotional response. If you can, point out an example or two where you think I peppered an insult. I might do it in jest once in awhile but that seems pretty common. I have never meant to be mean spirited (it might be incorrectly interpretted that way sometimes), but others blatantly do it in an obviously mean spirited insulting manner.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
See this is a prime example. What more can I say.

If any of the mods are following this, is this what this forum is about?

I received my point for bad behavior, how about one for this? It was intended as an obviously insulting comment. This person has a long track record of these.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm no longer a mod and don't presume to speak for them. But as a long term veteran of the board, I've seen many posters have problems when they focus on one subject over and over again (unless it is done tongue-in-cheek as in Unclemick's Norwegian widow). They set themselves up for ridicule and pay the price for not knowing when to give it a rest and move on.

Maybe that is what's going on here.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
See this is a prime example. What more can I say.

If any of the mods are following this, is this what this forum is about?

I received my point for bad behavior, how about one for this? It was intended as an obviously insulting comment. This person has a long track record of these.
Well it was in jest. But obviously you seem to be pretty fired up. Feel free to put me on ignore if your sense of humor has left the building

I apologize if my link upset you and caused you duress.

Ill avoid your threads from now on.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You need to lighten up a little, Rock--you don't realize getting a YouTube post from Notmuchlonger is like being knighted on this board or something like that....
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You need to lighten up a little, Rock--you don't realize getting a YouTube post from Notmuchlonger is like being knighted on this board or something like that....
Ok I'll accept that as a compliment

sorry, Notmuchlonger, I misunderstood
Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm no longer a mod and don't presume to speak for them. But as a long term veteran of the board, I've seen many posters have problems when they focus on one subject over and over again (unless it is done tongue-in-cheek as in Unclemick's Norwegian widow). They set themselves up for ridicule and pay the price for not knowing when to give it a rest and move on.

Maybe that is what's going on here.
Yes, but I'm not the one who keeps bringing it up, it was settled awhile back
Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ill avoid your threads from now on.
I don't know much about these here ann-u-ities, but speaking of threads, I want some like Fric's.

Ha
Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #16

Quote:
I haven't been following these annuity discussions, so I'll foolishly stumble in.

Suppose: you pay an someone $1,000 today,
and he pays you $70.27 one year from now, and annually as long as you live
and you live long enough to get exactly 33 payments
and you get absolutly nothing except the 33 payments....

Then, looking backward, your family will be able to say that you earned exactly 6.00% on your annuity. That's what the IRR calculation in Excel says, and it uses exactly the same method that I learned long before there was an Excel.

OTOH, looking forward, you can't say definitively what you will earn, because you don't know how long you are going to live. You can do some hypotheticals, and say "If I live long enough to collect exactly 33 payments, then I will have earned 6.00%. But, if I get ___ payments instead, then I will have earned ___ instead."

Does that simply repeat what everyone has been saying?
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I haven't been following these annuity discussions, so I'll foolishly stumble in.

Then, looking backward, your family will be able to say that you earned exactly 6.00% on your annuity. That's what the IRR calculation in Excel says, and it uses exactly the same method that I learned long before there was an Excel.

OTOH, looking forward, you can't say definitively what you will earn, because you don't know how long you are going to live. You can do some hypotheticals, and say "If I live long enough to collect exactly 33 payments, then I will have earned 6.00%. But, if I get ___ payments instead, then I will have earned ___ instead."

This is true, but if you are an actuary you can go a step further and using suitable probailities for living 1,2,3,4,5,....i years and a known discount rate you can price an annuity. Or, knowing the price, you could reverse this process and extract a discount rate.

But it is hardly an exercise to ask people to volunteer to do.

Ha
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post

Heh Independent, a breath of fresh air.

No, the issue is that when I calculate the IRR of a Vanguard (AIG) annuity, assuming I take it out at 53 and live to 86, I get ~6% (a little less actually, like 5.94 or something like that).

I get ridiculed for that, others claim it's just has to be less than 4%, maybe only 2 or 3%. Also I hear that IRR is a meaningless calculation because it is not a good way to compare one investment against another.

I want to compare the annuity option to investing the same amount in a Mutual Fund that pays a 6% return and withdrawing the same amount each year as the annuity. I contend at age 86 I will have a zero balance on both and have made the same withdrawals with each investment. Essentially they were equal investments.

I don't see that as rocket science, what are your thoughts on that?

I can get you my numbers for the payout if you care to take a look.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh Independent, a breath of fresh air.

No, the issue is that when I calculate the IRR of a Vanguard (AIG) annuity, assuming I take it out at 53 and live to 86, I get ~6% (a little less actually, like 5.94 or something like that).

I get ridiculed for that, others claim it's just has to be less than 4%, maybe only 2 or 3%. Also I hear that IRR is a meaningless calculation because it is not a good way to compare one investment against another.

I want to compare the annuity option to investing the same amount in a Mutual Fund that pays a 6% return and withdrawing the same amount each year as the annuity. I contend at age 86 I will have a zero balance on both and have made the same withdrawals with each investment. Essentially they were equal investments.

I don't see that as rocket science, what are your thoughts on that?

I can get you my numbers for the payout if you care to take a look.
I don't quite understand why you care so much what others think. If you are convinced you have found an investing plan that satisfies you, sail on. It's not important nor even possible to sway others to agree with you if they are locked into other plans. You may be right, they may be right, we may all be wrong. Time will tell.

Old saying - don't try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Harley
Old 07-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't quite understand why you care so much what others think. If you are convinced you have found an investing plan that satisfies you, sail on. It's not important nor even possible to sway others to agree with you if they are locked into other plans. You may be right, they may be right, we may all be wrong. Time will tell.

Old saying - don't try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Harley
After the beating I have taken about this, I'd like to finish this one off for good. Then I'll be done. Sorry for wanting to do that. You'll never hear me start a discussion about the 6% IRR annuities that were available from Vanguard in July of 2008 again. That's worth it, isn't it?

I'm not trying to sway anyone. I'd just like facts to remain as facts.