Join Early Retirement Today

annuity income for life?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

annuity income for life?

Does anyone know if there would be any penalty from the IRS is I turn a non-qualified annuity income an income for life one at age 50? Thanks.

Trying to get consistent monthly until 59 1/2. Thanks.
hadavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ask whoever issued you the annuity. It all comes down to whether they would send you a 1099.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadavi View Post
Does anyone know if there would be any penalty from the IRS is I turn a non-qualified annuity income an income for life one at age 50? Thanks.

Trying to get consistent monthly until 59 1/2. Thanks.
I'm not a tax expert, but I can try to get you started.

I believe the general answer is "No penalty". You can read the "Tax on Early Distributions" section of Publication 575 (2008), Pension and Annuity Income

It includes this:

Quote:
General exceptions. The tax does not apply to distributions that are:
  • Made as part of a series of substantially equal periodic payments (made at least annually) for your life (or life expectancy) or the joint lives (or joint life expectancies) of you and your designated beneficiary (if from a qualified retirement plan, the payments must begin after separation from service). See Substantially equal periodic payments, later,
  • Made because you are totally and permanently disabled, or
  • Made on or after the death of the plan participant or contract holder.
You will still have to pay tax on the portion of each payment that the IRS deems to be "gain" rather than "principal".
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

So just to make sure, if I have several non-qualifies annuities, I can turn them into income annuities at 50 years old and not have to pay a penalty?

I have had two financial planners say differently and an annuity rep. from Vanguard say that I wouldn't have any penalties if I set them up for equal payments for life.

??
Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #5

I think INDEPENDENT already answered your last question. (The score now is 2:2; but, it is YOUR tax return).
Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadavi View Post
I have had two financial planners say differently and an annuity rep. from Vanguard say that I wouldn't have any penalties if I set them up for equal payments for life.
My understanding is that Vanguard is correct (but I'm not an expert in this area). Like Rule 72t with IRAs, annuities can be set up to allow "substantially equal periodic payments" before age 59 1/2 without penalty. But one does have to make sure that if they are going to convert a fixed or variable annuity into an SPIA with a 1035 exchange, that the annuity being converted is no longer subject to surrender charges or other penalties.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the clarification!