Join Early Retirement Today

Annuity question
Old 11-27-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Annuity question

I am looking at an annuity from Lincoln insurance that is fixed 5.85% and 5 yr , minimum $100k (it has no fees)

I read where Lincoln has a good rating for annuities. Is there an FDIC equivalent for insurance companies for something like this, if the insurance company went under?
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2023, 04:42 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your annuity is guaranteed by a state insurance association, which operates differently from the way FDIC insurance works. The maximum limit varies by state and typically ranges from $100K to $250K. A list of state insurance associations is https://www.nolhga.com/policyholderi...fm/location/ga
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TIAA is a better company for payout phase annuities...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
I am looking at an annuity from Lincoln insurance that is fixed 5.85% and 5 yr , minimum $100k (it has no fees) ...
The Lincoln web site (www.lincolnfinancial.com) steers individuals to "financial professionals" aka salespeople. This indicates that sales commissions are paid. A commission is a fee and you end up paying it.

I suggest that you get a hard copy and a PDF copy of the prospectus. Search the PDF for costly words like "fee" and "charge." I did this recently with a Thrivent prospectus and found fees for putting money in, fees for taking money out, and annual fees plus some others. Be sure to read the hard copy thoroughly too.

There are annuity experts here who can help you look at this product and this company. I am not one of them but seeing "no fees" raises my eyebrows a bit.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What type of annuity are you looking at? Blueprint Income is showing MYGA (multi year guaranteeed annuity) products from Lincoln Financial which is A rated but the interest rate is 4.95 for 5 or 7 years so maybe it is different from the one you are looking at.
Old 11-27-2023, 06:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

From Bard:
Quote:
Lincoln National Corporation's claims-paying ability ratings are as follows:
  • AM Best: A+ (Strong)
  • Fitch: A- (Strong)
  • Moody's: P-2
These ratings are all considered to be strong, and they indicate that Lincoln National Corporation is financially sound and has a strong ability to pay its claims.
The guarantor for annuities are various state guaranty funds and state guaranty associations that assess healthy insurers for losses on troubled insurers.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:58 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What type of annuity are you looking at? Blueprint Income is showing MYGA (multi year guaranteeed annuity) products from Lincoln Financial which is A rated but the interest rate is 4.95 for 5 or 7 years so maybe it is different from the one you are looking at.
mine was at 5.85, I'll check on that, thx
Old 11-27-2023, 06:59 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
From Bard:

The guarantor for annuities are various state guaranty funds and state guaranty associations that assess healthy insurers for losses on troubled insurers.
stupid question, but I assume that insurance against the insurance company failing is based on the state where the company is located and not the state I live in?
Old 11-27-2023, 07:01 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
Your annuity is guaranteed by a state insurance association, which operates differently from the way FDIC insurance works. The maximum limit varies by state and typically ranges from $100K to $250K. A list of state insurance associations is https://www.nolhga.com/policyholderi...fm/location/ga
based on the state where the company is based?
Old 11-27-2023, 07:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The State Guaranty Association coverage is based on the state where the annuitant lives. if you provide the exact name of the annuity product you will likely get better feedback. There are so many different types of annuities that can be good or awful depending on the situation.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:36 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Is that a MYGA? Multi Year Guaranteed Annuity. Is that in lieu of, say, a bond or CD? IOW are you actually wanting the "annuity" part or just the growth vehicle. I ask, because there are different issues regarding those two functions.

I've used MYGAs (and their predecessor, the SPDA - Single Premium Differed Annuity) as savings vehicles - but never considered annuitizing them. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:45 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Op, be sure that this a MYGA you are writing about. MYGA's from reputable insurance companies are truly NO FEE. Best to research these instruments from other reputable sources such as Blueprint Income and/or Stan the Annuity Man. Also, do NOT assume that the State backed state guaranty funds are same as FDIC, it is NOT. Just see articles related to annuity holders of Colorado Bankers Life. Years later, many policy holders are still trying to get their monies as this is wrapped up in legal court system. Ugh!
CP Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:56 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not just buy a well rated bond paying the same, and not give up the principal?
Old 11-28-2023, 07:25 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Why not just buy a well rated bond paying the same, and not give up the principal?
+1
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
MYGAs do NOT give up principal.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
MYGAs do NOT give up principal.
But donít you have it locked up for the period?
Old 11-28-2023, 07:51 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
But don’t you have it locked up for the period?
Yes, but with 10% per year allowable free withdrawals, if you choose the right one. Any more than 10% and just like most CDs there are penalties. So not completely locked up.

DrRoy implies the principal was lost, I.E. an income style annuity. The Period Certain or Lifetime options.

Quote:
Old 11-28-2023, 07:59 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Yes, but with 10% per year allowable free withdrawals, if you choose the right one. Any more than 10% and just like most CDs there are penalties. So not completely locked up.

DrRoy implies the principal was lost, I.E. an income style annuity. The Period Certain or Lifetime options.
I understand the ease of these products, but a well designed ladder will likely outperform these with nearly 100% liquidity.

People need to decide what is important and act accordingly.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:20 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I obtained more information. It is MYGA. Interest accrues daily. We could pull up to 10% yearly if we needed to (we won't). It's money in my wife's roth BTW.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:26 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
But donít you have it locked up for the period?
You DONT buy a MYGA if you can leave it in for the contract. I have had 3 MYGA and use them to defer the taxes on the income.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote