Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #121
Dryer sheet wannabe

70 souinds like a good age
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #122
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retirement Mechanic View Post
Finance Dude, the term 'locking up' is inaccurate and over used. When someone buys a bond is his money locked up. How about a cd? Even with a stock there is always a chance of selling at the wrong time. Remenber that the annuity is for long term planning, not short term liquidity. Do you have all your funds in one mutual fund or one stock? I should hope not. Lets open up to the proper use of an annuity.
A treasury bond is anything but locked up.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
70 souinds like a good age
Sounds like a good age to do what?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sounds like a good age to do what?
To celebrate your 20th anniversary of retirement...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #125
Dryer sheet wannabe

So, I have to last 150 posts for you to buy lunch for Wahoo. My pleasure. BTW. Wahoo looks like he likes his meat raw.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #126
Administrator

Quote:
BTW. Wahoo looks like he likes his meat raw.
Nah...just annuity salesmen...
Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #127
Dryer sheet wannabe

T Bills do not have a maturity date? Yep, you can sell a T Bill, but, still, they are not liquid. Have you seen rates lately?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #128
Administrator

Quote:
T Bills do not have a maturity date? Yep, you can sell a T Bill, but, still, they are not liquid. Have you seen rates lately?
Treasuries not liquid? Easiest thing in the world to sell. Literally.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Treasuries not liquid? Easiest thing in the world to sell. Literally.
And realistically few individuals own individual T-bills. Most folks hold them in the form of money market funds which are even easier to sell.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #130
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And realistically few individuals own individual T-bills. Most folks hold them in the form of money market funds which are even easier to sell.
Exactly. Or short term bond funds. I can't believe an annuity salesman talks about liquidity and then disses treasuries.

Quote:
Remenber that the annuity is for long term planning, not short term liquidity. .
So you sell one to a 79 year old widow?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #131
Dryer sheet wannabe

REgarding the 70 yo: A SPIA w/ 10 year certain was recommended. But her advisor kept her in the markets.

Curious: Why all the protection for brokers and attacks on insurance? Brokers are above reproach? Or si this just a pack mentality?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy. Setting up the lawn chairs for a good view.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Curious: Why all the protection for brokers and attacks on insurance? Brokers are above reproach? Or si this just a pack mentality?
We don't tend to have wave after wave of commissioned brokers trying to convince us to buy stocks.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #134
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
REgarding the 70 yo: A SPIA w/ 10 year certain was recommended. But her advisor kept her in the markets.
A few minutes ago she was 79...

No one here is going to argue she should have been "in the markets" to begin with. If you spent some time understanding what this forum is all about rather than selling, you'd know that already.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We don't tend to have wave after wave of commissioned brokers trying to convince us to buy stocks.
No, they try to convince us to pay them to manage our portfolios or to use actively managed funds, etc.

Brokers, planners, advisers, etc. also get their time on the stand here........ But there's something special about annuity salesfolks because they seem to be the shiftiest of them all.

Note - certain annuities in certain situations can be a useful tool and worth the expense. It's too bad salesfolks predominantly push the high commission products to anyone who will pay the load.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This just sounds like it came from an annuity salesperson.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have sat down with a surviving spouse who was at a total loss as to what to do with her husband's portfolio. This at a time when the markets were sinking. Her advisor assured her the markets would recover. She was at the age of 79 at the time.
So you sold her a really good deferred variable annuity, and a nice universal life policy, right? (Note: I have first-hand experience with this. Wrapping up my mom's estate and trust was educational.)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #138
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not too many 79 year-old widows on the Early-Retirement forum...
There are a few of us in about 18 to 25 years !
Old 09-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well Ziggy, it appears you are pretty astute when it comes to investing. The annuity option may not be your best option. I have sat down with a surviving spouse who was at a total loss as to what to do with her husband's portfolio. This at a time when the markets were sinking. Her advisor assured her the markets would recover. She was at the age of 79 at the time. Someone kindly told her annuities were a bad thing. The annuity is not the total answer. But it serves very well the retired population who does not have the time window or the savvy to invest in the markets.
Turned out the advisor was right (the market did recover). On the other hand, you asked her to liquidate her portfolio at the worst possible time so that she could buy an annuity product. How would that have served her well?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #140
Dryer sheet wannabe

She needed income, not anxiety. The market recovery was short term. There are those who are at the same place as they were 10 years ago, still waiting for their brokers to earn their fees.
Closed Thread