Another 5% CD in a Florida Credit Union (3 Year)

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Community First Credit Union of Florida has a 5% CD that expired Tomorrow. THey are pretty friendly and with beneficiaries are insured to (in my Case) $600k.

Not too bad.

SWR

SWR,

Regarding the insurance w/ benes: how are the accounts titled? Thanks.

LL

LL said:
SWR,

Regarding the insurance w/ benes: how are the accounts titled? Thanks.

LL

Joint in my wife's and my name + direct family as beneficiaries. This is not a problem as our will reads the same.

SWR

SWR,

I am still confused. I know the key is the beneficiaries, but how exactly did you get passed the FDIC limit? I understand that both you and your spouse can get up to 200K FDIC insurance, but how did adding the beneficiaries increase the amount? Thanks.

LL

LL,
CUs are insured by NCUA (the equivalence of FDIC). For example, if you have a number of CDs that = $400k and add 3 POD (pay on death) beneficiaries, this will insure your assets upto $100k x 4 ($400k). If the CU institution goes bankrupt then the primary owner (you) will get back the $400k. If primary owner (you) dies before the CDs matures then the beneficiaries will receive assets. I don't know how this conflicts with existing wills, living trusts etc..

LL,

I neglected to mention that I do it this way because I am single. If you are married, I believe a couple can get upto either 300k or 400k by dividing your assets as follows

husband 100K
wife 100k
joint account 100k

I'm not sure about this but if a joint account has a primary owner, you might be able to get 2 joint accounts.

LL said:
SWR,

I am still confused. I know the key is the beneficiaries, but how exactly did you get passed the FDIC limit? I understand that both you and your spouse can get up to 200K FDIC insurance, but how did adding the beneficiaries increase the amount? Thanks.

LL

NCUA NOT FDIC.....

SWR

Back
Top Bottom