Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another Bond Question (DBLTX)
Old 05-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #1

Like many, I've been frustrated with low return and volatility of my bond funds. But, I looked at things a bit deeper today and things don't seem too bad. Wondering if I'm missing something.

One of my funds is DBLTX. The average maturity is 3.48 years and the current yield is about 3.6.

Of course there is the risk of default, but the interest rate risk seems very low. If anything, rates seem to be more likely to go down. Comments are welcome on these two aspects, but I'm looking to focus on the yield.

In the spirit of where to hold my cash for a year or two, this doesn't seem as bad as I thought. The yield will no doubt go down as older bonds mature and new bonds are brought in, but that's not going to happen overnight. The turn over is 28% so it seems like expecting a year or so more out of this fund isn't a bad place to hold some funds. Anything I'm missing or is holding this for a while longer (12-18 months) reasonable for the goal of >3% return for a year or so?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

An investment in DBLTX is an investment in Gundlach. If you trust Gundlach, then don't worry about it.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
gone traveling

The funds credit rating is BB, lower than its category, so that explains the yield. Duration is short. Gundlach is a good manager, so he probably does his homework to manage the credit risk, but hard to know for sure in the Covid environment.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The returns for the first four months of 2020 have been negative. Remember interest rates are dropping. Although 2019 was a good year for the bond fund, 2020 is shaping up poorly.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Like many, I've been frustrated with low return and volatility of my bond funds. But, I looked at things a bit deeper today and things don't seem too bad. Wondering if I'm missing something.

One of my funds is DBLTX. The average maturity is 3.48 years and the current yield is about 3.6.

Of course there is the risk of default, but the interest rate risk seems very low. If anything, rates seem to be more likely to go down. Comments are welcome on these two aspects, but I'm looking to focus on the yield.

In the spirit of where to hold my cash for a year or two, this doesn't seem as bad as I thought. The yield will no doubt go down as older bonds mature and new bonds are brought in, but that's not going to happen overnight. The turn over is 28% so it seems like expecting a year or so more out of this fund isn't a bad place to hold some funds. Anything I'm missing or is holding this for a while longer (12-18 months) reasonable for the goal of >3% return for a year or so?
Please put cash needed for a year or two in a high yield savings account.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I agree, but I have plenty of cash. I'm just saying that this seems reasonable for a year or so as an investment, not that I'll need it in a year or so. I feel pretty sure that in a year or so, the yield will be so low it won't matter but it will give me time to consider what to do. Note also, the money is already there. I was thinking of cashing it out, but in giving it more thought, it seems good for a short time period.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The returns for the first four months of 2020 have been negative. Remember interest rates are dropping. Although 2019 was a good year for the bond fund, 2020 is shaping up poorly.
By returns, do you mean the capital cost or the yield? I agree the price has gone down, but it's still disbursing the yield. So, given the price has gone down, hasn't my yield gone up? The underlying bonds haven't stopped paying their interest/coupon - right?
Old 05-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
An investment in DBLTX is an investment in Gundlach. If you trust Gundlach, then don't worry about it.
At the current moment, I'm not sure I can trust anyone, but I figure you folks are more trustworthy than most.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree, but I have plenty of cash. I'm just saying that this seems reasonable for a year or so as an investment, not that I'll need it in a year or so. I feel pretty sure that in a year or so, the yield will be so low it won't matter but it will give me time to consider what to do. Note also, the money is already there. I was thinking of cashing it out, but in giving it more thought, it seems good for a short time period.
Well, I usually look at the average/effective duration of a fund as a measure of how long to hold a bond fund to overcome interest rate risk. I notice that for DBLTX it is close to 3.5 years.

But honestly, DBLTX holds such low quality credit paper I would avoid it. That’s why the current SEC yield is so high. I guess you have to trust that Gundlach is good at picking through this almost junk. It’s a riskier bet. Maybe the excess yield makes up for the riskier holdings. Who knows?
Old 05-18-2020, 04:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, interest rates have been dropping, but spreads have been widening, which is why the interest rates are so much higher for this lower quality paper. Spreads could continue to widen if businesses come under more stress. We just don’t know.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every time I see this thread title I do a double take and think, 'Bond. James Bond.'

Every single time.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The funds credit rating is BB, lower than its category, so that explains the yield. Duration is short. Gundlach is a good manager, so he probably does his homework to manage the credit risk, but hard to know for sure in the Covid environment.
25% is BB or below, the rest is investment grade.

If the OP is looking for yield, take a peek at PTIAX. It’s a five star fund. I have used it as a core holding in my deferred accounts for years. Current yield is 4.68%. Almost 80% of its holdings are investment grade. It also pays interest in the middle of the month, which isn’t necessarily an advantage, but I like that it balances out all my other individual bond interest which is paid usually at month’s end.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They are dropping like a rock also.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:50 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
They are dropping like a rock also.

Mike
That’s not the point.

Money that is needed in a year or two should be in something that won't go down in value.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:51 AM   #15

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Every time I see this thread title I do a double take and think, 'Bond. James Bond.'

Every single time.
Thanks for coming out of that closet - Now I know that I am not alone in thinking the same!
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 AM   #16

I own Vanguard Total Bond Index Fund VBTLX, which is up 4.7% YTD, 10.86% for the past 12 months. It has a .05% expense ratio and holds 9,378 bonds. I know the bond experts have been saying for years that it has nowhere to go but down. And yet it goes up.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I own Vanguard Total Bond Index Fund VBTLX, which is up 4.7% YTD, 10.86% for the past 12 months. It has a .05% expense ratio and holds 9,378 bonds. I know the bond experts have been saying for years that it has nowhere to go but down. And yet it goes up.
Have you asked yourself why?

And of course, what has happened the last 12 months (or YTD) has little to no bearing on what will happen in the future.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The trend is your friend. Rates could go lower, bonds could go higher, though the Fed seems to have back stopped the 10 year at about .6%
Old 05-19-2020, 09:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
25% is BB or below, the rest is investment grade.

If the OP is looking for yield, take a peek at PTIAX. It’s a five star fund. I have used it as a core holding in my deferred accounts for years. Current yield is 4.68%. Almost 80% of its holdings are investment grade. It also pays interest in the middle of the month, which isn’t necessarily an advantage, but I like that it balances out all my other individual bond interest which is paid usually at month’s end.
When I look at Morningstar, there is a section on the holdings where the last line is "Not Rated". What is that? That is a very large number for DBLTX (25%). Does that automatically refer to junk, or is it small stuff that's not rated? Seems to be a disconnect in that folks here see this bond fund as risky, but Morningstar has it listed as below average risk. Not sure how to process this.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I look at Morningstar, there is a section on the holdings where the last line is "Not Rated". What is that? That is a very large number for DBLTX (25%). Does that automatically refer to junk, or is it small stuff that's not rated? Seems to be a disconnect in that folks here see this bond fund as risky, but Morningstar has it listed as below average risk. Not sure how to process this.
Fidelity shows unrated at 17%, investment grade at about 75%.

The unrated means just that, it hasn't been rated. That could mean its private placement, the bond is prefunded so a rating is meaningless or its close to maturity so they don't pay for a rating that is of little value.

Fidelity also rates it as below average risk. Some folks think anything outside of cash is risky.
I don't see it as risky. Its a good fund, a four star fund. You could do worse, you could also do a tad better.