Join Early Retirement Today

Another Chase bank rant
Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Chase bank rant

OK... I guess I will not be using Chase as my CC company much going forward...

Let me give you the details... I had 3 CCs with Chase... all pretty good. One had 5% cash back on gas, groceries and drugs and 1% on everything else. Another had 3% back on up to 6 categories. I forget what the other had as they changed it so long ago I can not remember.

The oldest one they changed to a Sapphire card without me wanting them to change. I have not used it since they changed.

A couple of years ago (or less, who knows now) they changed my 5% card to Freedom card. Now, this was a different Freedom then the other one I had which had the 3% for the various catgories. It morphed to one similar to Discover where you get 5% back for some categories, but you have to sign up every 3 months or so. I use it for these catgories, but not much else.

I just received in the mael where they are 'upgrading' my old Freedom card... but now I lose all the catgories where I was getting 3%... as far as I can tell I am only get 1% on all purchases. I will have to take the time to read what they sent more, but it is in very small print and I did not have the time. This was the same card where is you had saved $200 worth of rebates they would send you $250. They changed that the month before I reached $200.

Soooo, I guess that Chase does not want me for a customer.... at least their CC group is trying as hard as possible to kick me out
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Chase CC is a mess. They are sick of paying out alll that money, so they are screwing the loyal customers they have left. I told them to pound sand 4 years ago, and am happy I did.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I just started with them. I love my Sapphire. I think I also have a Marriott and a United Explorer with them, too. But I'm working the points game pretty hard these days, accumulating points and miles for next summer. And they've been pretty responsive to what appears to be my complete inability to buy things through the Rewards portal correctly.

I think for travel hackers, they are the bomb, but for anyone else, I dunno.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have Chase for my Amazon card (3% back for Amazon purchases). I am happy with this card but if Chase started switching things around on my like the OP, that might irritate me too.

For non Amazon purchases, I usually reach for my Discover card.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I just started with them. I love my Sapphire. I think I also have a Marriott and a United Explorer with them, too. But I'm working the points game pretty hard these days, accumulating points and miles for next summer. And they've been pretty responsive to what appears to be my complete inability to buy things through the Rewards portal correctly.

I do not see the benefit of Sapphire.... I checked out the rewards and the only thing you get more than 1% for is resturants... I did not know this... so learned something... still, not worth it for me to carry this card just for this one item....

Why do you think it is 'the bomb'? It is not any better than any of my other cards... and I like cash better than miles....
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

OP, I feel the same way. Other than getting an excessive amount of $500-800 or so bonuses for signing up for new cards with them, I rarely use them. I have the freedom card that still gives 5% back on a few occasionally decent categories that make it barely worthwhile to keep up with it. The portal is horrible and I have never received points through there like I was supposed to, so I don't use it any more. At least the Freedom card is a Mastercard/Visa, so it is my backup when businesses don't take Amex.

Otherwise it all goes on my Fidelity American Express - 2% back on everything, plus decent shopping portal. And rewards are cash into my fidelity acct.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I signed up for my Chase Hyatt card, charged a pack of gum or something to enable the sign-on bonus, and used those two free nights - along with Hyatt points I earned from company travel - for a free week at the Grand Hyatt Kaua'i (normally around $400 per night ).

The card is still in my dresser drawer and will stay there. An annual fee kicks in after the first year but they just got me to pay it by giving me another free night, although only at lower tier properties (they must be learning). Still costs less than a night in their most basic hotel, which I would have done anyway some time in the coming year.

This must be what was called "travel hacking?"
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I mine them for the sign up bonuses, then move on to the next one. I think I got 50k points for the Sapphire. I use it when I can get multi points for a purchase, but usually I'm working on another spend so I keep it in the drawer. Their points transfer pretty freely to other rewards programs 1:1, so they are a good deal for any airline or hotel I want to use.

The gravy is in sign up bonuses and multipoint deals through their rewards mall. Not regular use day-in-and-out.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I mine them for the sign up bonuses, then move on to the next one. I think I got 50k points for the Sapphire. I use it when I can get multi points for a purchase, but usually I'm working on another spend so I keep it in the drawer. Their points transfer pretty freely to other rewards programs 1:1, so they are a good deal for any airline or hotel I want to use.

The gravy is in sign up bonuses and multipoint deals through their rewards mall. Not regular use day-in-and-out.
Gotcha.... I have not sighed up for a new CC in over a decade.... probably longer.... I got nothin for the changes except a worse reward....

So, do you just keep signing up and getting rid of the old cards I think that my Sapphire account is over 30 years old... but I have not used it in something like 5 or more years...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I will have to take the time to read what they sent more, but it is in very small print and I did not have the time.

A while back we discussed "Did you read the contract?"

So here's the Chase Contract:
https://www.chase.com/online/card_fe...t/COL00001.pdf

But chase is a piker when it comes to contracts... Comcast is my favorite. The contract is so long, they don't even number the pages.
http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/...al_Stnd_18.pdf

We just use Discover... have been since 1985 when it began. No complaints. Never had a mistake, and the once or twice that we sent in late payments, a call to the company fixed it. never had a service charge, interest charge, or any charge for the service.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
unless you ink. 5 pts/$, or after fees, 4% back. in about 4 months, I've "made" about 90,000 UR pts.

You are correct, chase is excellent for travel hacking. Where you headed sarah?
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Yes, I have had at least a dozen Chase cards in the past 3 years and for travel they are indeed the bomb. Chase provides me at least 3 free international trips per year, basically for free.

One of the best tips I can give someone is to have no loyalty to any of them (do you think they care about you?) after 11 months, cancel, wait a few weeks and reapply to get another bonus and another year with the fee waived....
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

A while back we discussed "Did you read the contract?"

So here's the Chase Contract:
https://www.chase.com/online/card_fe...t/COL00001.pdf

But chase is a piker when it comes to contracts... Comcast is my favorite. The contract is so long, they don't even number the pages.
http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/...al_Stnd_18.pdf

We just use Discover... have been since 1985 when it began. No complaints. Never had a mistake, and the once or twice that we sent in late payments, a call to the company fixed it. never had a service charge, interest charge, or any charge for the service.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I have Discover also, but their reward is a big .25%... I do better with Cap One, heck, even Chase is 4X better than that.... have not had a problem with Cap One either, so I like the better rewards they give...

Also, I have not had a problem with Chase making a mistake, just to be fair...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #14

For 2012, MrsNFO and I have received over 200,000 miles on United, 100,000 miles on Southwest, and will have another 100,000 on Southwest as of January. Also applied for some hotel cards, and sign up cash bonuses for hundreds of $$$. This is just with Chase Bank, and pretty light compared to most recent years (I had to throttle back the CC applications to get my credit score up - I bought a house with a mortgage this year).

Sarah in SC is absolutely correct. Other than the sign up bonuses, these cards aren't worth much. For everyday cards, they are mediocre. I recommend the Priceline Visa instead, as it gives 2% rebates on all spending. Next year, I'll be cancelling all the Chase cards, then re-applying and getting some more free plane trips.

Say what you want about Jamie Dimon and big banks, but he is bankrolling my travel habits.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have Discover also, but their reward is a big .25%... I do better with Cap One, heck, even Chase is 4X better than that.... have not had a problem with Cap One either, so I like the better rewards they give...

Also, I have not had a problem with Chase making a mistake, just to be fair...
I also have Discover and I have been using it less and less because:
1. As you mentioned above, the reward is low (%.25) and does not reach 1% until you reach a breakpoint (I don't how much). And then it resets to 0.25% on your anniversary date,

2. I don't like their automatic payment policy. Discover gets the payment from my bank 6 days before the due date.

3. Chase has a much better features on their online services than Discover. Also, I have a lot of problems downloading from their site.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
For 2012, MrsNFO and I have received over 200,000 miles on United, 100,000 miles on Southwest, and will have another 100,000 on Southwest as of January. Also applied for some hotel cards, and sign up cash bonuses for hundreds of $$$. This is just with Chase Bank, and pretty light compared to most recent years (I had to throttle back the CC applications to get my credit score up - I bought a house with a mortgage this year).

Sarah in SC is absolutely correct. Other than the sign up bonuses, these cards aren't worth much. For everyday cards, they are mediocre. I recommend the Priceline Visa instead, as it gives 2% rebates on all spending. Next year, I'll be cancelling all the Chase cards, then re-applying and getting some more free plane trips.

Say what you want about Jamie Dimon and big banks, but he is bankrolling my travel habits.

Just looked.... Priceline Visa is only 1 point per dollar.... so if you are getting 2, then you are grandfathered in at that....

You do get a $50 bonus after your first purchase...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'd like to collect all of the posts in this thread that agree with me and have them needlepointed for DH to read.

Ronoc, I am a rank newbie at this, but I've been surprised at how easy it is to make the spends and keep track of the accounts. We are going to be doing a few one-ways next year so I have been somewhat indiscriminate about the different mileage bonuses, hoping that by the time I need to use them, I'll have a lot of different options.

Just signed up for the Southwest business and personal offers today, hoping to get the companion pass good for 2013 and 2014 if I can pull off the more complicated spend.
NFO, did you do that with SW?

Texas, I have kept a couple of older cards open for a while, just not used them, while I started on these. We don't have a mortgage or any real need for a super high credit score (not that applying for them dings you too bad) so I just keep doing ones that look good. I will have to make some decisions about cancelling the ones that have an annual fee (most have the first year waived) but ideally you'd keep them around for a while if you don't have to close them.

But I'm still learning--clearly some of these other folks have way more experience. I did start a thread on travel hacking a while back and got some good info.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Next year, I'll be cancelling all the Chase cards, then re-applying and getting some more free plane trips.
Which ones are you cancelling and able to re-apply and get more miles/points/bonuses for?

I did the AA cards from citicards a few times right before they shut down the churning. I think we got up to 130,000 miles for me and 90,000 miles for DW before they shut that down. Unfortunately we missed out on the really big 75k+ miles offers from AA as we had already churned them too much.

We just booked a free night in a pretty decent hotel on Starwoods points. Had to keep the account active. Still have 120,000 starwood points though.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Just looked.... Priceline Visa is only 1 point per dollar.... so if you are getting 2, then you are grandfathered in at that....

You do get a $50 bonus after your first purchase...
2% rebate is still available. Terms and conditions still say 2 points per dollar of spending. You just have to apply through the right link: https://www.pricelinevisa.com/app/ja...13&legacy=true
Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Just signed up for the Southwest business and personal offers today, hoping to get the companion pass good for 2013 and 2014 if I can pull off the more complicated spend.
NFO, did you do that with SW?
Keep in mind that SW has 4 different credit cards, each with 50,000 bonus miles. 2 of them have a $69 fee, the other 2 have a $99 fee. Mrs NFO currently has two of the cheaper ones, and that is what we are expecting to soon get 100,000 more miles from. This past summer, I had the same cards, so there is 100,000 miles. And neither of us has yet touched the premier or premier business cards, so there is a potential for a another 200,000 next year. Plus the companion passes that you mention. SW has really worked well for us since we live near one of their busiest airports, and their tickets are available for such a low number of miles. We've been using Amazon Payments to accelerate the required spending for the miles at no cost. We simply send money to each other each month using the card that requires spending.