Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another Estate Question
Old 08-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another Estate Question

When I die my wife becomes sole owner of our farm/home..If she goes first I become sole owner. When both of us are gone our only daughter will inherit the farm/home. What has to happen before a farm/home can be sold after the owner dies? Can it be sold before the will goes through probate? About how long does that take in Texas?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

#1 is to make sure your will is.up to date. Our wills.are.essentially mirror images of each other.

#2 is to make sure the deed on the property is "with rights of surviorship. "

Last one to go will usually require the house/property be included in probate proceedings. The daughter would need an appraisal on the property to come up with a "basis" for tax purposes. How long the probate proceedings takes varies in different jurisdictions.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #3

A revocable living trust may solve this problem and avoid probate. It might be worth the cost to consult an estate planning attorney, as the cost of probate may be higher.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

In my state (VA) the law requires the will to require the executor to sell the house, or at least to grant the authority to do so. If there's some way to avoid probate, I'd say consult an attorney and do it!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
When I die my wife becomes sole owner of our farm/home..If she goes first I become sole owner. When both of us are gone our only daughter will inherit the farm/home. What has to happen before a farm/home can be sold after the owner dies? Can it be sold before the will goes through probate? About how long does that take in Texas?
Well this depends. Texas has several options that depend on various factors. First, is there a will? I am going to assume that because you mention a will that there is a will.

In Texas, some estates (not all) can handled with the will filed as a muniment of title. The will is filed but there is no administration of the estate.

My mom recently died in Texas and I had to decide whether to file her will as a muniment of title or whether to go for probate. She had no debts so I could have theoretically chosen either one. To make this determination, I consulted with a probate attorney. Even though I am an attorney, probate is not my field so I consulted with someone who does work in that area. The point is -- you should consult with an attorney knowledgeable in this area.

In my mom's case I decided to do probate since people outside of Texas don't always understand the muniment of title process and certain things I needed to do would be easier if I was the independent executor and could get an EIN and open an estate bank account. I did seriously consider doing the muniment of title (doing probate instead was a little more expensive although not by a lot).

I am planning to sell my mom's house while the estate is still being probated. Because selling by an estate is a more complicated process I had a real estate agent open title on the house even though it hasn't been listed yet. I've been working through the title company requirements in order for the estate to sell the house

While that is the choice that I felt was best for my situation ...your family's situation might be different. Bear in mind, each state's requirements are different. You should get advice from an attorney knowledgeable about this area in Texas (from your post I assume that the property and you and your wife are in Texas).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My understanding is that Texas allows one to have a transfer on death deed that would avoid probate.... the property would be transferred to your heir outside of probate similar to a beneficiary designation for a financial instrument.

https://texaswillsandtrustslaw.com/2...on-death-deed/

It looks like you would need to have a joint tenancy with right of survivorship so either you or your wife would own the property if one of you were to die and a transfer on death deed so your heir can inherit the property upon the second to die (or if you and your wife die simultaneously). Time to consult a lawyer.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:42 AM   #7

Thanks guys...I think I will contact an attorney..