Another Financial Advisor Question

Isn't it possible to construct a portfolio of individual stocks that is less risky than the overall market? I don't think it's always the case that 70 stocks are more risky than 500. ...
Well, IMO sort of. When statistically-oriented people talk about diversification, I have read that roughly equal dollar positions in 30-60 stocks is enough to diversify away individual stock risk and leave only market risk. Each stock is then 2-3% of the portfolio. The fine prints says, of course, that you have to make sure your stock list is diversified over industries and company sizes. All growth, all energy, all small cap, etc. you are not diversifying away sector risk.

So IMO that same basic approach would apply to the strategy that @pb4uski recommends. Make sure that you have a good variety of industries and a good variety of company sizes. "Rebalance" from time to time so that the positions stay roughly equal in dollars.

Using low beta as a screen is probably the only option, but I do not adhere to the religion that says that mechanically calculating some flavor of volatility (beta, SD, Sharpe ratio, Sortino ratio, etc.) tells the whole story on risk. For example, I doubt that GE's 2016 beta would have been a good predictor of their whacking their dividend last week. Maybe Enron's prior year beta would have predicted that train wreck; I don't know. Did Sears' beta ten years ago predict its apparently impending bankruptcy in 2018? Again I don't know. At the very least you will have to monitor the betas in your low-risk stock portfolio, ditching issues with climbing betas and replacing them with issues having lower or declining betas. I also don't know how fast betas change with time. Do you have to monitor monthly? Annually?

I dunno. Sounds like a lot of work to me compared to just buying a diversified fund like a Russell 3000 fund and going for the ride using the Copilot's Checklist (Sit down, shut up, and hang on.). YMMV, of course.

Isn't it possible to construct a portfolio of individual stocks that is less risky than the overall market? I don't think it's always the case that 70 stocks are more risky than 500.

I think the missing piece in the arguments against FA's is how much one values service. There are some of us that are OK with not beating the market because we are paying for service. The service is not just picking investments. It's integrating several aspects of financial/life planning. There are many on this forum who don't feel they need third party help with that, which is fine. However that doesn't make those of us who do value that service wrong. If we have the money and feel we're getting good value, more power to us! Not everyone wants to DIY and that's OK.

You really can't. You can only know which 60 or 70 are less risky after the fact.

If it works for 1 year, that does not mean it will work for the next.

The "nobody knows nothing" approach of buying the Total US Stock market + Total International Stock market gets you market returns (positive or negative) with a very low cost. Add Total US Bond or similar to your correct asset allocation.

I had some of the same concerns with all the trading and the cap gains generated. I think you would get a lot of that in any managed fund as compared to straight index.

So I asked him about it and I bet you know what he said "Don't let the tax tail wag the investment dog. ...

[Rustward, look away! :) ]:

Well, wasn't that a 'convenient' response from your FA! :)

Seriously, the 'tax tail wagging' is a good motto to consider, but I'm certain it was never intended to mean "ignore the tax efficiency of your investments". :nonono:

The 'tax tail wagging' metaphor could be applied to a scenario like: Hmmm, I'm not feeling good at all about this investment I'm holding, I think it's gonna tank. But I have large cap gains this year, I would like to hold off until Jan 1 of next year to sell. Or maybe you might be waiting to clear the one year threshold to capture as LTCG versus STCG.

In those cases, you are letting taxes drive your decision, but maybe you should just sell regardless. The potential loss may be far more greater than the tax delta (and if it drops far enough, your tax problem was 'solved anyhow! ouch!).

So yes, I think you are letting your FA talk you out of a sound investing principle of watching your tax efficiency overall. I think that's a problem, and sure looks to be self-serving for the FA (pay no attention to those capital gains behind the curtain! ;) ). Now, if you are convinced he will continue to outperform even after the tax considerations, then you have something to base your decision on. But those were big numbers - you have not shared the denominator, or put it in %, but they look big to me.

-ERD50

Well, wouldn't it be nice if we could all do our own things and not have to declare some of us "right" and the others "wrong"?

I don't understand you. I'm pointing out that tax costs are a part of your overall return. That's pretty basic to investing.

What's wrong with that?

-ERD50

I don't understand you. I'm pointing out that tax costs are a part of your overall return. That's pretty basic to investing.

What's wrong with that?

-ERD50

I was referring to the broader topic of indexing vs managing. It seems that the indexers are always right and everybody else is wrong. The people who favor managed accounts don't seem to give a rat's a$$ what anybody else does -- index your heart out if you want to. Just don't criticize what I am doing.

... Seriously, the 'tax tail wagging' is a good motto to consider, but I'm certain it was never intended to mean "ignore the tax efficiency of your investments". :nonono: ...
I really don't have a dog in this fight because almost all of our investments are in IRAs and Roths, but the discussion does puzzle me.

After all, money is fungible. FA fees, loads, fund management fees, taxes, and 12b1 fees are all costs, all paid for with fungible dollars. Hence all must be considered when evaluating an investment or a strategy.

IMO this is an example of what Richard Thaler calls "mental accounting." The classic example is a gambler who has been winning, puts his original stake in his pocket, and begins gambling much more aggressively with his winnings aka "the house's money."

An example more akin to this tax debate might be someone who spots a really good bargain on CraigsList but does not consider the cost of driving a 100 mile round trip to buy the item. Not logical. Which, of course, is Thaler's business. I just finished reading his excellent but somewhat dense book "Misbehaving." For a little easier introduction to Thaler, I recommend his book "Nudge."

Oh, I was going to post earlier with an offer: Anyone who sends me $1000/month for a year I will send you a $30 box of chocolates at Christmas. Inside will be a freshly autographed photo of PT Barnum. Just let me know.

I was referring to the broader topic of indexing vs managing. It seems that the indexers are always right and everybody else is wrong. The people who favor managed accounts don't seem to give a rat's a$$ what anybody else does -- index your heart out if you want to. Just don't criticize what I am doing.

I think indexers are always right when the market is going up.

Oh, I was going to post earlier with an offer: Anyone who sends me $1000/month for a year I will send you a $30 box of chocolates at Christmas. Inside will be a freshly autographed photo of PT Barnum. Just let me know.

And yet another example of what prevails here.

What does PT Barnum have to do with FA's or indexers?

I guess it's all about perception then. I really don't see these discussions as "criticism". In general it seems to go like this:

A: My FA provides great service, I really like my FA.

B: Oh, FA is probably charging ~ 1% fee, and many will put you in high ER investments. And it's difficult/rare for an FA to beat the market after fees/taxes. Are you sure you are really getting value after considering these effects?

A: Well, I'm doing well! My portfolio is up! FA is great!

B: Well, the market is up overall. Have you compared to a "couch potato" portfolio that you could very easily set up for yourself, and requires almost no maintenance? Are you at least matching that after fees/taxes?

A: Ummm..... I really like my FA.

and on and on. I appreciate that RobbieB is actually engaging and responding to our questions (hopefully, he will get back on the cap gains thing).

Clearly, some of the posters who come to this forum are unaware of some of these costs, or how simple DIY is. So like many other topics, it gets discussed over and over again.

OK, there are the cracks about birthday cards and gifts and such. That doesn't really add much to the conversation, but it's not really that big a deal is it? I just let those pass.

I see a big difference between questioning the validity of someone's statements that support their FA decision, and just saying they are "wrong". Maybe I'm blind to it, but I just don't see people routinely telling the FA users that they are "wrong" - but they do question their reasons for using an FA.

And I should further clarify, in general I mean FA that charges an ongoing % of AUM. A check up with an fiduciary FA on an hourly basis is a whole 'nother thing.

-ERD50

And yet another example of what prevails here.

What does PT Barnum have to do with FA's or indexers?

Well OK - there's one to boost Rustward's complaints! :blush: Making a snide comment about FA users being "suckers' isn't helpful to a serious discussion.

But I still don't think it's that common, and I hope my questions aren't lumped in with those kinds of comments.

-ERD50

I think indexers are always right when the market is going up.
Since no-one has built a successful benchmark it will always be a "religious" type argument.

Since no-one has built a successful benchmark it will always be a "religious" type argument.
Why would you say that? IMO there are lots of very useful benchmarks. In fact IMO it is a matter of too many, not that there are none.

For an equity portfolio, one very useful benchmark is Vanguard's Total World Stock Index Fund (VTWSX).

Why would you say that? IMO there are lots of very useful benchmarks. In fact IMO it is a matter of too many, not that there are none.

For an equity portfolio, one very useful benchmark is Vanguard's Total World Stock Index Fund (VTWSX).
In the context of what's better indexing vs. managed.

Look back at the last 100 identical threads here and tell me where consensus is.

So yeah there's plenty of benchmarks and no particular agreement on what they consistently tell you.

Last edited:

Look back at the last 100 identical threads here and tell me where consensus is.

So yeah there's plenty of benchmarks and no particular agreement on what they consistently tell you.

I also don't think it's that hard. In fact, I think most people over-think it. Between that, and the various threads drifting all over, it maybe has not been answered well.

So here's my take, which I think I mentioned earlier. You may not agree with it, that's fine, I accept it's just my way of looking at it - no definitive right/wrong (unless you can show me I am definitively right/wrong).

Rather than trying to construct a benchmark to match the FA, just construct a benchmark on what you, as a DIY investor would do. To me, that's the real test, because that's the real alternative. And that seems pretty simple.

To keep it a bit simpler (I've already typed too much today!), let's say that like RobbieB, you have turned over only your equity portion to your FA. OK, so what would a DIY'er do? How about Total Market fund/ETF? Or maybe add 20% International, or some REITS? Whatever you are comfortable with. Check out the lists of "lazy portfolios". And then go for it.

So OK, maybe the FA went heavier into Intl, and Intl did well the past year (just using this as hypothetical example). You might say "No Fair! The FA only did better because our 'benchmarks' didn't match!". So? That's what you are paying him (or her) for. To do better than you would do on your own.

I doubt an FA can consistently beat any reasonably broad equity index like that. We always see INTL may do better for a while, then it will retreat. Probably all averages out over time. If the FA could move the right way most of the time, I do think we would see more managed funds beating the index.

Is it really any more complex than that?

-ERD50

No Christmas card from my Vanguard Flagship Rep. She didn't make it to Christmas. Got an email yesterday wishing me well and she's off to some other job at VG. Only lasted 6 months. Maybe my new rep will send me a card.

Well, I agree that agreement is hard to tease out of forum discussions. But all you really have to do is to pay attention to the mountain of published facts:
1) Here is Nobel Prize winner William Sharpe's original 1991 paper where he explains why active management will always lose to passive by the difference in fees: https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/active/active.htm The paper is only three pages and is an easy read. The only math required is an understanding of addition and subtraction.

2) Here is a Kenneth French video explaining Sharpe's paper: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos/is-this-a-good-time-for-active-investing.aspx

3) If you don't like economists, here is empirical research from S&P: Thought Leadership - Research - S&P Dow Jones Indices The SPIVA Report Card shows you how badly active managers miss beating their benchmarks and the Manager Persistence Report Card shows you that it is impossible to identify successful managers except in the rear-view mirror. These two reports have been published biannually for a number of years with exactly the same conclusions every time. Only the percentages vary a little bit.

4) Here is French again, explaining how he and Nobel Prize winner Eugene Fama tried and failed to find a way to identify successful managers ahead of time. https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos/identifying-superior-managers.aspx Their paper on this subject was published in the early 2000s. It's about 40 pages and for me a very tough read, but Google can find it for you.

5) A couple of weeks ago the WSJ published a persistence analysis of (IIRC) 1500 managers based on using Morningstar's "star" rating system and found the same thing S&P has consistently found: Success is simply a matter of luck and cannot be predicted. This article is unfortunately behnd the WSJ paywall, but you might be able to find it in the wild of you are lucky. "[FONT=&quot]The Morningstar mirage: What those fund ratings really mean" 10/25/17 "[/FONT]Of funds awarded a coveted five-star overall rating, only 12% did well enough over the next five years to earn a top rating for that period; 10% performed so poorly they were branded with a rock-bottom one-star rating."

6) Morningstar itself just published an analysis very similar to the S&P SPIVA reports: "Morningstar’s Active/Passive Barometer Mid-Year 2017" It came to basically the same conclusions as the S&P SPIVA report cards: active management is a losing strategy. "In general, actively managed funds have failed to survive and beat their benchmarks, especially over longer time horizons." There is some interesting data on fund failure rates, too.

7) Books that explain this can be a list as long as your arm. Among the most famous are "A Random Walk Down Wall Street," "Winning the Losers' Game," and anything by William Bernstein.

There are valid excuses, though, for believing that the issue is not settled. According to the BLS, there are about 400,000 investment sales people in the US (presumably including FAs). The salaries of the vast majority of these people depend on selling the myth that stock picking works. So they are out there doing that. Same story with web sites that rely on advertising, like Motley Fool. Same story with the major invstment companies. Morgan Stanley just reported 3Q17 results with their "Wealth Managment" unit pulling in over $4Billion -- all based on people believing the myth. But in all the advertising, all the op-eds, and all the newsletters there is one thing you will NEVER find: Statistical evidence that stock picking works. Because there is none. But if you like anecdotes you will love the myth-sellers. They have anecdotes by the ton. Stock prices are noisy; it is inevitable that every day some stock pickers will get lucky. But that simply masks the fact that on average it is a losing strategy.

I think of this myth-selling as similar to the chaff and flares that a military airplane dispenses when it is under attack by an inbound missile. Desperate attempts to mislead, nothing more.

Finally, all of this data is based on "passive" investing. IOW buying the broad market. IMO the word "indexing" gets used as an equivalent to passive but that is not always true. For example, buying SPY is usually thought of as "indexing" but in fact it is a sector bet. SPY will, statistically, beat actively-managed US large cap stock pickers but is irrelevant to stock pickers working the EAFE. Fama says "We have to hold the market portfolio." IOW, everything.

Finally, here is a very worthwhile way to spend a half hour: https://www.top1000funds.com/featured-homepage-posts/2015/12/11/investors-from-the-moon-fama/

Well, I agree that agreement is hard to tease out of forum discussions. But all you really have to do is to pay attention to the mountain of published facts:
1) Here is Nobel Prize winner William Sharpe's original 1991 paper where he explains why active management will always lose to passive by the difference in fees: https://web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/active/active.htm The paper is only three pages and is an easy read. The only math required is an understanding of addition and subtraction.

2) Here is a Kenneth French video explaining Sharpe's paper: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos/is-this-a-good-time-for-active-investing.aspx

3) If you don't like economists, here is empirical research from S&P: Thought Leadership - Research - S&P Dow Jones Indices The SPIVA Report Card shows you how badly active managers miss beating their benchmarks and the Manager Persistence Report Card shows you that it is impossible to identify successful managers except in the rear-view mirror. These two reports have been published biannually for a number of years with exactly the same conclusions every time. Only the percentages vary a little bit.

4) Here is French again, explaining how he and Nobel Prize winner Eugene Fama tried and failed to find a way to identify successful managers ahead of time. https://famafrench.dimensional.com/videos/identifying-superior-managers.aspx Their paper on this subject was published in the early 2000s. It's about 40 pages and for me a very tough read, but Google can find it for you.

5) A couple of weeks ago the WSJ published a persistence analysis of (IIRC) 1500 managers based on using Morningstar's "star" rating system and found the same thing S&P has consistently found: Success is simply a matter of luck and cannot be predicted. This article is unfortunately behnd the WSJ paywall, but you might be able to find it in the wild of you are lucky. "[FONT=&quot]The Morningstar mirage: What those fund ratings really mean" 10/25/17 "[/FONT]Of funds awarded a coveted five-star overall rating, only 12% did well enough over the next five years to earn a top rating for that period; 10% performed so poorly they were branded with a rock-bottom one-star rating."

6) Morningstar itself just published an analysis very similar to the S&P SPIVA reports: "Morningstar’s Active/Passive Barometer Mid-Year 2017" It came to basically the same conclusions as the S&P SPIVA report cards: active management is a losing strategy. "In general, actively managed funds have failed to survive and beat their benchmarks, especially over longer time horizons." There is some interesting data on fund failure rates, too.

7) Books that explain this can be a list as long as your arm. Among the most famous are "A Random Walk Down Wall Street," "Winning the Losers' Game," and anything by William Bernstein.

There are valid excuses, though, for believing that the issue is not settled. According to the BLS, there are about 400,000 investment sales people in the US (presumably including FAs). The salaries of the vast majority of these people depend on selling the myth that stock picking works. So they are out there doing that. Same story with web sites that rely on advertising, like Motley Fool. Same story with the major invstment companies. Morgan Stanley just reported 3Q17 results with their "Wealth Managment" unit pulling in over $4Billion -- all based on people believing the myth. But in all the advertising, all the op-eds, and all the newsletters there is one thing you will NEVER find: Statistical evidence that stock picking works. Because there is none. But if you like anecdotes you will love the myth-sellers. They have anecdotes by the ton. Stock prices are noisy; it is inevitable that every day some stock pickers will get lucky. But that simply masks the fact that on average it is a losing strategy.

I think of this myth-selling as similar to the chaff and flares that a military airplane dispenses when it is under attack by an inbound missile. Desperate attempts to mislead, nothing more.

Finally, all of this data is based on "passive" investing. IOW buying the broad market. IMO the word "indexing" gets used as an equivalent to passive but that is not always true. For example, buying SPY is usually thought of as "indexing" but in fact it is a sector bet. SPY will, statistically, beat actively-managed US large cap stock pickers but is irrelevant to stock pickers working the EAFE. Fama says "We have to hold the market portfolio." IOW, everything.

Finally, here is a very worthwhile way to spend a half hour: https://www.top1000funds.com/featured-homepage-posts/2015/12/11/investors-from-the-moon-fama/

I don't need convinced!

You are making Rustward's point for him.

You would be wrong in this stmt.... I have about half of my investments in index funds and half in managed funds... sometimes the managed funds do better than index, sometimes not... but I think they are doing well for their costs... BTW, they are Vanguard funds....

Why do I need to pay a FA an additional 1% (or maybe half if I have enough money) to do the same thing:confused: FYI, Vanguard says I am up 23.5% for the last year.... without taking into account withdrawals etc. the simple calculation of how much I have earned with my starting amount is 22.8%....

Edit to add... check my mom who is 24.4% and my sister who is 23.1%.... IIRC you were less than 20%....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom