Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yes they did. I ran another calculator and it came up with 15.4% YTD dividends re-invested.

Going back to pg 1, I'm at 17.9% (net after fees)

I agree, my FA is doing a sweet job -
Calculator might be a month off.... VOO is up 16.5% with dividends reinvested YTD (through 11/15/2017) and 16.9% through the end of October so your FA is doing good.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes they did. I ran another calculator and it came up with 15.4% YTD dividends re-invested.

Going back to pg 1, I'm at 17.9% (net after fees)

I agree, my FA is doing a sweet job -
The calculator you listed only uses an average price for the month. Quote: "Let me say that again in a different way: other than the most recent month, which is tied to one closing price (and listed in the editor note at the top of the page), the month DOES NOT correspond to an individual day. It’s a guess at an average investor’s price basis (or sale price) if they bought (or sold) “at some point” in the month."

So we can compare apples to apples, and guessing that your statement you received on page 1 was through 10/31, I looked at VOO for YTD through 10/31 numbers and it looks to me like it returned about 18.1% (16.8% in price appreciation plus 1.3% in dividends paid so far) through 10/31.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...tExt=INT#tab=1

So it looks to me like you're somewhat underperforming the market this year, taking higher risk (70 vs 500 stocks), and probably have a higher tax bill with those capital gains. But you sound happy and like you're having fun and probably have enough money.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

@pb4uski, did I calculate VOO performance through 10/31 incorrectly? I'm just a LTBH index fund guy, so all of this is tricky for me :-)

I took the 16.8% from the bottom of the page I linked to where it says "Recent investment returns" and took the average of the first two numbers in the second column "YTD as of 10/31/2017". I then went to the distributions page here:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...tExt=INT#tab=4

Added up the dividends per share, got $3.18, then divided that by the recent price of $237.54 to get a 1.3% dividend yield.

The total still seems conservative, because those dividends, if reinvested, would be doing better than the 1.3% because the market's been on a steady uphill climb this year.

(I also ignored the fact that there will be another dividend payout in December, because I'm guessing that is accounted for in the current price.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

SecondCor521, I'm pretty sure that the 16.8% includes dividends reinvested.

The price of one share on 12/30/2016 was $205.00 and on 10/31/2017 was $236.18... and increase of 15.2% return ignoring dividends... the 1.6% difference is atributable to dividends and growth of dividends reinvested seems sensible.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

You have got me beat at 18.1%.

I give up. Obvious that my FA just can't hang with the pros at Vanguard.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
SecondCor521, I'm pretty sure that the 16.8% includes dividends reinvested.

The price of one share on 12/30/2016 was $205.00 and on 10/31/2017 was $236.18... and increase of 15.2% return ignoring dividends... the 1.6% difference is atributable to dividends and growth of dividends reinvested seems sensible.
Ah. Thanks.

Quote:
You have got me beat at 18.1%.

I give up. Obvious that my FA just can't hang with the pros at Vanguard.
Don't give up yet! I was wrong; your FA guys are a full 1% ahead!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

No, I'll just stay with what you came up with;

"So it looks to me like you're somewhat underperforming the market this year, taking higher risk (70 vs 500 stocks), and probably have a higher tax bill with those capital gains."

I know the "group opinion" here on FA's and no matter how good they are they are always going to be worse than Vanguard. Nothing will ever change this. I'll say again that the vitriol has decreased but the underlying feeling is still there. Not to be trusted. Better off doing it yourself. Save money, low fees. I see my FA in the mirror every morning.

Not a problem, doesn't bother me. Different strokes.

Have fun and Blow More Dough!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #108

There has to be some benefit to getting in tight with your FA. Does he ever invite you out on his yacht?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I know the "group opinion" here on FA's and no matter how good they are they are always going to be worse than Vanguard. Nothing will ever change this. I'll say again that the vitriol has decreased but the underlying feeling is still there. Not to be trusted. Better off doing it yourself. Save money, low fees. I see my FA in the mirror every morning.

Not a problem, doesn't bother me. Different strokes.

Have fun and Blow More Dough!
Nahhh, I think that is just your interpretation/perception, maybe based on some of what you earlier perceived as 'vitriol'.

Let's break it down: "no matter how good they are they are always going to be worse than Vanguard"

The trouble is, can we really ever measure a particular FA? Well, we can make some short term measures, but at a minimum, we need to see how they performed in both up/down markets. And yes, we never really know what that means for future performance.

But we do know from studies that the FA that can outperform over a 5 year period is ~ 15%, and that those same 15% are unlikely to outperform the next 5 years. How to identify the small number of survivors ahead of time?

And then there are the tax considerations (which I'd like to follow up on, if you can provide those numbers).

But I do feel highly confident that the major, low cost, broad-based index funds/ETFs will track very closely to their indexes. I don't feel confident in my ability to pick an FA that can do better, and worry that they will do worse.

Is there any 'vitriol' in that? I think it is just prudent observation. And it is tough to defend against. But of course, you are free to do as you please, but the explanations so far just sort of cause me to shrug my shoulders. I don't really get it. But that's OK.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I had some of the same concerns with all the trading and the cap gains generated. I think you would get a lot of that in any managed fund as compared to straight index.

So I asked him about it and I bet you know what he said "Don't let the tax tail wag the investment dog"

I really couldn't disagree. And I think it's a good problem to have. I would rather have to pay more tax than less. Not to mention gains can always be adjusted end of year with unrealized losses. What was I going to tell him "Stop making me so much dough?"

My qualified dividends are high, about 3% and they get favored treatment.

I'm very happy with the people here and their performance. I get a team that knows me and my situation well, knows my voice and answers the phone. When I call my FA's assistant answers every time. No voice mail, no recorded message, no dial your extension at the beep. I like that very much, as now it's all but a memory of times gone by.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There has to be some benefit to getting in tight with your FA. Does he ever invite you out on his yacht?
My former FA invited us out on his boat once. We were in the Chesapeake for the Naval Academy graduation including the Blue Angels. Had a great time until we got too close to a destroyer and they sent out a zodiac full of armed sailors to chase us off. But still, it was fun. I moved my money to VG a few weeks later so we never got invited back. But I was able to buy a kayak with the savings.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #112

I don't have an FA, but my dedicated FIDO guy enjoys shotgun sports so he occasionally takes a few of us out for a day of sporting clays at a local range. Beats an investment seminar hands down!
Old 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I don't have an FA, but my dedicated FIDO guy enjoys shotgun sports so he occasionally takes a few of us out for a day of sporting clays at a local range. Beats an investment seminar hands down!
You must have a ton of $$ with them. We've got about $1.3M with Fido and don't even get a Christmas card.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You must have a ton of $$ with them. We've got about $1.3M with Fido and don't even get a Christmas card.
No, actually I don't even have that much there. He's just a nice guy.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Hey Rustward,

Don't let it get to you, let it run off your back. Life is too short.

That's the way it's always going to be here. FA's are evil and take all your dough.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey Rustward,

Don't let it get to you, let it run off your back. Life is too short.

That's the way it's always going to be here. FA's are evil and take all your dough.
I don't think so. You've obviously found a good one, they exist. I know other smart folks who do the same.

However there are fast Eddie's out there. It's wise to not outdrive your brakes and understand what your FA is doing for you.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Can we desist with the jokes about Christmas cards and yachts?...........
No. Braumeister gets free shooting trips and I want my damn Christmas card.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

I get Birthday cards and Christmas cards and Christmas presents.

Your guy must be lame.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

The performance of VOO / VFIAX is a matter of historical record and shown right on the vanguard.com website: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...NT&FundId=0540
So 16.9% through 10/31 and 16.5% through yesterday.

But international equities have bested US stocks in 2017, so almost any portfolio that added foreign stocks has bested the performance of large-cap US stocks. For instance VTIAX (total international) was up 24% through 10/31.

Thus everybody with a diversified equity portfolio should have beaten the S&P500 by at least a couple of percent so far in 2017. Perhaps only folks who overweighted US small-cap value have done less well.

And I wouldn't want to pay $20,000 or more for a few cards every year.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Well, how did you do?

And did you have big fun with the 20 grand you saved?