Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

20/20. Not a single question seemed anything other than obvious. There was a clear bias towards free market economics to keep in mind and, as always, it was important to not read anything into the questions. For example, question #1 did NOT say that an increase in the number of fast food restaurants would result in "high quality" food. It said an increase in the number of fast food restaurants would result in "higher quality" food, a relative term. And that's true. An increase in competition generally results in the competitors lowering prices and trying to increase customer satisfaction in order to maintain market share. This is true whether you're talking fast food or auto body repair.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got 19. Question # 1 I inferred they were talking about the economics of fast food. I got lucky on that one as some for you took a more global economic view. You are correct. It was deceptively worded.

The one I missed was #3. How much interest "banks CHARGE" would not encourage people to save more. How much interest they PAY would. Poorly worded.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Bah. only 95%, but [initially] disagree with the scoring (question 16). [On second thought, the government workers do benefit as well--as long as one doesn't net out the inefficiencies, the answer postulated is correct, I suppose.]
Same here, and I agree with your first impression. Since the gov't is the business doing the (probably incredibly inefficient) producing, only it receives a benefit.

As far as the people missing number one, I think the wording was perfect. I keep telling DW (who is horrible at word problems) you have to disregard the words and look at the numbers.

So I was able to do that with fast food, but not governments. Shows where my biases lie.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #24

"You answered 20 out of 20 correct for a 100%."

The first question could go either way.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #25

I got 17/20 for 85%.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

A hunnert percent!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
20/20. Not a single question seemed anything other than obvious. There was a clear bias towards free market economics to keep in mind and, as always, it was important to not read anything into the questions. ...
Exactly, you have to consider that the test was one about economics, not food preferences.

I thought they were all obvious as well, but I still brain-glitched on the last one. My reading comprehension was fine, they were looking for the wrong answer, but as I analyzed them, my brain switched to looking for the right one, so by getting it wrong, I was right. Kind of.

The other question that tripped me was employed/unemployed - no 'retired'. Yes, that's unemployed, but for the apparent use of comparing to your peers, are retired and unemployed the same peer group?

This was interesting:

Quote:
Economic Literacy Test Results
from 03/26/2013 to 03/26/2015
Total Participants: 106,649
Average Score: 14 out of 20 for a 70 %
Average Age: 24
Males - 50,028
Education Level: Grade School - 7,936
High School - 50,169
1-2 years of college - 16,070
4 years of college - 15,792
Graduate School - 12
Employment Status: Employed - 59,972
Unemployed- 24
1000:1 ratio M/F! And how do all those working people have time to take a test?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Bah. only 95%, but [initially] disagree with the scoring (question 16). [On second thought, the government workers do benefit as well--as long as one doesn't net out the inefficiencies, the answer postulated is correct, I suppose.]
But which did you choose? I could see "none of the above" (hope that's not getting too political!), but otherwise, what would be more correct than "A"?

Quote:
16. When governments supply products and services, these products and services usually benefit:
A. More than one person at a time whether they have paid for it or not.
B. Only the people who pay for these products and services.
C. Business at the expense of consumers.
D. Don't Know.
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I got 110%
Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But which did you choose? I could see "none of the above" (hope that's not getting too political!), but otherwise, what would be more correct than "A"?

-ERD50
D?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #31

Quote:

-ERD50
Yep, none of the above. Was thinking too much of the negatives and wandered from the basic level of the questioning. As others note, this quiz was not seeking to discover how many econ texts & papers you've read for fun in the past month!

Hence my editing of my original post.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly, you have to consider that the test was one about economics, not food preferences.

I thought they were all obvious as well, but I still brain-glitched on the last one. My reading comprehension was fine, they were looking for the wrong answer, but as I analyzed them, my brain switched to looking for the right one, so by getting it wrong, I was right. Kind of.

The other question that tripped me was employed/unemployed - no 'retired'. Yes, that's unemployed, but for the apparent use of comparing to your peers, are retired and unemployed the same peer group?

This was interesting:

1000:1 ratio M/F! And how do all those working people have time to take a test?

-ERD50
This is today's responses only. Most of the respondents attended high school. Perhaps they currently attend or recently attended high school (their average age is 24) and are employed at a part time job. Perhaps these young men arrived home from their fast food service jobs at McDonalds at 1am and began surfing the Net.

At least that's what this female (1 of 44) graduate educated (1of 12) unemployed (1 of 24) person is surmising.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

sherrywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
20/20. Not a single question seemed anything other than obvious. There was a clear bias towards free market economics to keep in mind and, as always, it was important to not read anything into the questions. For example, question #1 did NOT say that an increase in the number of fast food restaurants would result in "high quality" food. It said an increase in the number of fast food restaurants would result in "higher quality" food, a relative term. And that's true. An increase in competition generally results in the competitors lowering prices and trying to increase customer satisfaction in order to maintain market share. This is true whether you're talking fast food or auto body repair.
I believe the answer was simply "higher quality and lower prices". No mention of food, so I assumed higher quality service.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I believe the answer was simply "higher quality and lower prices". No mention of food, so I assumed higher quality service.
And assuming higher quality service would indeed take you to the correct answer. I agree, not reading "food" into the answer eliminates the potential for negative bias regarding "fast food" and "quality" that seems to have lead many to an incorrect answer.

Competition tends to drive businesses to improve quality and/or lower prices. Less competition usually means businesses can raise prices and reduce quality and still maintain market share/volume.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Competition tends to drive businesses to improve quality and/or lower prices. Less competition usually means businesses can raise prices and reduce quality and still maintain market share/volume.
I would generally agree with that. What immediately comes to mind is that it's to bad we don't have more competition in satellite/cable TV services industry.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Same here, and I agree with your first impression. Since the gov't is the business doing the (probably incredibly inefficient) producing, only it receives a benefit.
That's my answer, and I'm sticking with it.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I would generally agree with that. What immediately comes to mind is that it's to bad we don't have more competition in satellite/cable TV services industry.

Great example!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #39

I got 20/20. There were 2 or 3 questions that I had to really think about, and probably guessed on a couple.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Quote:
That's my answer, and I'm sticking with it.
Being apolitical about it, and thinking in the context of...

"The government is us; we are the government, you and I." Theodore Roosevelt (1858–1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. speech, Sept. 9, 1902, Asheville, N.C..

... and with the qualifiers of "usually benefit" in the question, and "More than one person at a time" in answer A, it did seem to be the logical choice.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote