Join Early Retirement Today

Another Interesting Retirement Calculator
Old 09-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Interesting Retirement Calculator

Not unlike FIRECALC in that it’s based on history. It doesn’t have all the bells & whistles that FIRECALC does, and the output graph takes a little getting used to - but it:
  • displays instantly
  • you can add a “Spending Flexibility %” which I find useful
  • you can factor in a tax rate! and
  • if you hover over the graph it displays lots of probability detail.
Being able to reduce spending if needed, and quantifying how much flexibility you might need is a good exercise IMO.

Note the example below with an 11% tax rate. With no spending flexibility success rate was 77%. With just 10% spending flexibility the success rate jumps to 94%.

Quote:
Spending Flexibility = Percentage of your annual spending that you could reduce when portfolio balance is lower than your initial balance. This only applies when your portfolio balance is lower than your initial balance (on an inflation-adjusted basis).
https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D9D37712-43DC-4699-ABFA-5C88AF69A1B9.jpeg (403.2 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpeg E11BDCBC-5250-4BC5-AB11-0AE31F0B08CE.jpeg (402.1 KB, 188 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, that was fun! Thanks! Given that I'm newly RE'd, and still trying to convince my self and my DW that we are actually FI -- This is a nice alternative look to FIRECalc. Near as I can tell, we'll be ok ;-)
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

"One of the key takeaways from this is how large the ‘Wedge of Death’ gets as you get older and how the likelihood of dying is much higher than running out of money."

I think turning that off initially is a good idea.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

For me there is little difference between 20% and 100% equities.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
"One of the key takeaways from this is how large the ‘Wedge of Death’ gets as you get older and how the likelihood of dying is much higher than running out of money."

That is a peculiar feature isn't it. I assume it's because the author is keen on showing probabilities, and reminding us we might go poof before plan end? Nice that you CAN turn it off.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I disagree. Keeping the probability of death active visualizes something we all know but actively do not acknowledge.
The Reaper is waiting. You do not have to plan for eternity.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

What I meant, is that the death "feature" overwhelms the view of other indicators. Of course it is always in play, so it worth looking at, but it obscures the financial picture.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The growth in the "wedge" is a strikingly vivid graphical representation of why we aspire to FIRE. We are all getting closer to the end and so how do we choose to spend our remaining time?

My FIL used a tape measure to demonstrate the same concept. At a family gathering, he pulled a tape measure out and stretched it out to 74", which he said was a man's expected life span. He was 72 at the time. See how little I have left he said. Ironically, he died two years later in his sleep and was still working at the time - out of necessity.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

I recall seeing this one before... likely from an ER post. It was ok to look at, but lost interest with it.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I recall seeing this one before... likely from an ER post. It was ok to look at, but lost interest with it.
Agree I have seen it before. Either here or at Boglehead's.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the biggest benefit to this one is it CLEARY visualizes “life is short”. Maybe make it a required exercise for all OMYers?
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

I believe the wedge of death was intentional by the author, otherwise it is basically doing the same thing as firecalc. There is a thread over on Mr Money Mustache where the author takes enhancement requests. (He hasn't done the one I'd like to see where the wedge shows the likelihood of death of husband, wife, and both.)

It is fascinating to see how much more likely it is that I'm dead than broke at various points for even a much higher spending level than a 4% WR.
Sugarmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #13

"The wedge of death" is a rather dramatic phrase. It sounds like a nail-biting ride in an amusement park!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I like the wedge of death.

With my data, I have about a 0% chance of running out of money in the next 30 years. I have IIRC about a 20% chance of death.

I can make this actionable by taking some of my money, buying a gym membership, and exercising regularly. Which is exactly what I did.

I can also spend more time and attention caring for my health (which needs it) and a little less time and attention on my money (which is on autopilot more and more these days).
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What I meant, is that the death "feature" overwhelms the view of other indicators. Of course it is always in play, so it worth looking at, but it obscures the financial picture.

Well, the "big picture" by necessity obscures the "smaller picture".

Anyone notices that the red wedge, that risk of running out of money, gets thicker in the middle, then thins out at the end?

It means you are more likely to run out of money at 90 than at 95. Wait a minute! Once you are broke at 90, you will remain broke at 95, right?

Such fallacy could be the quirk of the FIRECalc-like use of real life data. For a long run, there's not enough data to cover bad periods, and the artifact is that you have better chance of financing a 30-year retirement than you do a 25-year one.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
"The wedge of death" is a rather dramatic phrase. It sounds like a nail-biting ride in an amusement park!
I survived a wedgie of death in 4th grade recess.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
"The wedgIe of death" is a rather dramatic phrase. It sounds like a nail-biting ride in an amusement park!
Sounds more like a hazing ritual gone bad to me....
Old 09-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, the "big picture" by necessity obscures the "smaller picture".

Anyone notices that the red wedge, that risk of running out of money, gets thicker in the middle, then thins out at the end?

It means you are more likely to run out of money at 90 than at 95. Wait a minute! Once you are broke at 90, you will remain broke at 95, right?

Such fallacy could be the quirk of the FIRECalc-like use of real life data. For a long run, there's not enough data to cover bad periods, and the artifact is that you have better chance of financing a 30-year retirement than you do a 25-year one.
I think it is just the odds of death overwhelming the other ones. If you toggle them off you see the expected shapes on the curves.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
I think it is just the odds of death overwhelming the other ones. If you toggle them off you see the expected shapes on the curves.
I stand corrected.

The growth of death risk eventually swamps out the risk of being broke, giving rise to a "big picture" that I am not accustomed to see.

It is definitely a good visual to awaken us to a real peril that we often chose to ignore.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

One more reason to...

Blow That Dough!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote