Another SS question

Elbata

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hypothetical:

Me 65, draws SS. Wife is 62.

Wife is waiting till 65 to draw SS from her job. Can she draw on my SS now, then allow her SS to build up, quit drawing off mine and then start drawing on hers?

Hypothetical:

Wife is waiting till 65 to draw SS from her job. Can she draw on my SS now, then allow her SS to build up, quit drawing off mine and then start drawing on hers?

Not as I understand it. Under the new reforms there is this thing called 'deeming'. She will be 'deemed' to have applied for all SS benefits she is eligible for and they will give her the largest one - her own, spouses' etc. But, unless one is old enough (reached 62 by the end of 2015) and waits until Full Retirement age, what you are proposing is history, the horse has left the barn, and it's water under the bridge.

IIRC, the scenario you describe was an unintended consequence of some past reform/change to SS. It was never supposed to be that way, but the law in complicated and some sharp people found an accidental loophole.

Last edited:
Hypothetical:

no , she only gets hers and any spousal when you file .she must take hers though first . .there is no option for her to leave hers alone and collect from you .

Back
Top Bottom