Another Take The Package and Run or Not Question..

Unless you are prepared financially to be out of work for 2-3 years and then end up with a lower paying job I would not take the package. I know a lot of people that work and have worked at the same company that you do. I know several that were WFR'd over 2+ yrs ago and still have not found a job that pays even close to what they were making. I would start looking for a new job now and make the transition when you find one that is a good fit.

A couple of years of less than great, but "over paid", employement is a much better scenario. Particularly with late teens and early 20's children, a time that is critical for most people to really be building up their fiancial assest.

FWIW, I would not take the package if I were in your shoes.

Troubling... For the several that were WFR'd what was line of work? In early 50's? 2 to 3 years is a long time..

Well, I did it!

I had until 8PM EDT last night to rescind my early retirement application. Talk about nerves, my stomach was in a knot as the deadline passed.

So then this morning at 04:30 the pager wakes me up with a customer call. I get up, take care of the issue, eat some breakfast, and the pager goes off again with a customer about 75 miles away requiring an on-site visit. Got back home about 2PM this afternoon.

God I'm going to miss this job! I can't imagine weekends where I can do whatever I want whenever I want to. :) I'm also going to miss the $$$$ from working all those hours.:(

Well, I did it!

I had until 8PM EDT last night to rescind my early retirement application. Talk about nerves, my stomach was in a knot as the deadline passed.

So then this morning at 04:30 the pager wakes me up with a customer call. I get up, take care of the issue, eat some breakfast, and the pager goes off again with a customer about 75 miles away requiring an on-site visit. Got back home about 2PM this afternoon.

God I'm going to miss this job! I can't imagine weekends where I can do whatever I want whenever I want to. :) I'm also going to miss the $$$$ from working all those hours.:(

Congrats Bobby! I'm sure you're going to miss it.. I felt "knots" on Friday AM, but yet I knew this is the best decision for me and my family. I did not think about rescinding at all and feel good about my decision. I know it will be scary, but I feel so free and excited about the opportunity. The generous severance will give time to regroup, and reconnect with family and retool my skills to what I know I love doing. I have put feelers in the market, and can steer my career where I want it to go. This was an opportunity to connect with people I know who left mega corp, and thrived.. Thank you everyone who helped give input on the 4 week somewhat tortuous but satisfying journey.

Back
Top Bottom