Join Early Retirement Today

Another test
Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another test

Saw this on another site, but don't remember seeing it here.http://moneycentral.msn.com/quiz/retirement-iq-quiz/home.aspx
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The test was a little tough for me, because some of the topics won't affect me (since I am not married, not self employed, and so on).

I got an 88 and a compliment: "You have a solid understanding of the issues needed to plan your own retirement. You have a clear grasp of the concepts and understand many of the regulations concerning your nest egg." Good thing, since I am planning to retire in November.

The average score for my age group (55 to 64) is 59, which is pretty hair-raising. The average score for women is worse.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

76: Assume the fact I am 68 years old and have never been exposed to a 401k or never earned NEAR the upper limits for IRA's has something to do with such a low score.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #4

96. Probably a good thing since I'm pulling the plug in a few days.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
The test was a little tough for me, because some of the topics won't affect me (since I am not married, not self employed, and so on).

I got an 88 and a compliment
: "You have a solid understanding of the issues needed to plan your own retirement. You have a clear grasp of the concepts and understand many of the regulations concerning your nest egg." Good thing, since I am planning to retire in November.

The average score for my age group (55 to 64) is 59, which is pretty hair-raising. The average score for women is worse.
Same for me.

I knew most of the answers from reading here.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

92 here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Another 88
Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

92; surprised at how low the averages are. (Lot's of people will obviously not retire early.)
Old 03-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #9

I got a 96, but I thought the questions were both limited and depressing.

"Depressing" because 44% (11) of the questions related to all the complicated rules we've created for provided multiple tax incentives for retirement saving (IRA, 401k, Keogh, 403(b), Roth IRA). Why would anyone want a tax code like the one we've got??

"Limited" because of the general topics covered. In addition to the tax questions, there are 5 questions on products that only life insurance agents can sell (annuities and life insurance).

All those questions on taxes and annuities squeezed out topics like: "How do you determine how much you should save?", "... when you should start saving?", "... how much you'll spend in retirement?", "... where to invest your savings (bonds, stocks, CDs, TIPs, foreign, managed vs. indexed, ..)?", " ... how to deal with the unknowns of inflation, investment returns, and mortality during retirement?".
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

72--since I don't see anywhere on the site to check our wrong answers, I don't know why I got a C minus. But ignorance is bliss, I keep telling myself.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Feever, there is a "review answers" link to the upper right on the score page...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, see how ignorant I am--I looked below my score for a results button. I'll take it again (and probably score lower)....

ETA: Most of my errors were re annuities, which we're not planning to purchase, and a couple of Roth vs. traditional IRAs.

I agree with Independent about things getting overly complicated.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Feever, there is a "review answers" link to the upper right on the score page...

84 also. Warped Great minds...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

92. What does it mean?
Chester_A._Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As ususal i'm worst(or tied for worst) on this site but well above the general population with a score of 72%.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #16

I got an 88. I thought my wrong answers would be about annuities, but I did fine on those.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Got a 100% but I had to think about the annuity questions.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Wow....I aced!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Wow....I aced!

You scored: 92
How you compare
The average score for MSN Money readers is 58
The average score for men is 59
The average score for women is 56
Average scores by age
15-24 46
25-34 53
35-54 57
55-64 59
65 and over 59
Congratulations! You understand many of the finer points involving retirement planning and are fully capable of putting those ideas into action. You can get more information by reading MSN Money articles on planning for retirement, saving for retirement, living well in retirement and estate planning.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

96% and just AR enough to wonder what question I missed. Not AR enough to take it over (probably multiple times) to see if I can figure it out!

I must say, this test seemed rather easy (missed question not withstanding). Frightening to see the 'averages' in the followup. I didn't see any real trick questions, but you did have to stay on your toes to catch the "all the above" type answers. If I'd rushed through it (too AR for that I guess) it would be easy to miss a few.

I wonder how those selling "products" for retirement would fare? Wonder if they would do poorly on the products they don't sell? Hey, this could be a test to give your FP - if you have one. Personally, I finally figured out I could learn stuff as well as they could and I always found myself to be a better fiduciary where MY welfare was concerned. Not knocking all FP. I would actually consider using one in the future. But, now I would be asking pointed and specific questions - sort of to let them do the math and as a sanity check. e.g., asked accountant to calc. how much I could convert to Roth from Trad. IRA and stay within 25% bracket. That kind of stuff is worth it to me since I don't do my own taxes and he has all the figures on his computer.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I got 100%. I owe it all to this board, Ed Slott, and all the BS I had to go through with Megacorp when I retired. Oh yeah, and reading that "Natalie starts investing" parable in Money 20 or 30 times.