Join Early Retirement Today

Another thing I didn't know
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another thing I didn't know

Just noticed that I don't have to pay cap. gains....as long as I stay in the 15% tax bracket.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Long-term cap gains. 15% tax bracket or below.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #3

ok........final exam question. assume you are filing Married Filing Jointly where the top of the 15% bracket is 72500 taxable income. Your taxable income is now 72499. You want to sell some stock with a LTCG of 10000
or 100000. Do you pay capital gains tax?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
ok........final exam question. assume you are filing Married Filing Jointly where the top of the 15% bracket is 72500 taxable income. Your taxable income is now 72499. You want to sell some stock with a LTCG of 10000
If your LTCG is $10,000, you'll pay the feds 15% cap gains tax on $9,999.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Just noticed that I don't have to pay cap. gains....as long as I stay in the 15% tax bracket.
F4, I had this same epiphany last december while playing around with TurboTax. This is a very important fact that we should all be very aware of. In my real life, I have shared this with a few people and their interest level is underwhelming. For a few hours planning and implementing per year I figure to save a few thousand per year, a very nice payback.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Also don't forget that return of capital is tax-free.

So if you sell $100,000 of shares that you paid $50,000 for back in 2009, you will have $100,000 to spend because you won't pay any taxes on it. Wow! That could be $100,000 a year for life all tax free!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
As Onward indicates, you will pay 15% on $99999 and $1 will be tax-free. I did all of the number crunching just the other day to understand this. Your "Taxable Income", line 43 of form 1040, includes the 72499 you mention, plus the 100000, minus your deductions (which I'll omit), so line 43 will show 172499. Then line 44, "Tax", is more than just a lookup from the tax tables. It includes the computations from the "Capital Gains and Qualified Dividends" worksheet.

To really understand this, fill out line 44 in a sample return ignoring the worksheet, then do a second computation including the worksheet, and see how your tax changes.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
F4, I had this same epiphany last december while playing around with TurboTax. This is a very important fact that we should all be very aware of. In my real life, I have shared this with a few people and their interest level is underwhelming. For a few hours planning and implementing per year I figure to save a few thousand per year, a very nice payback.
Are the "few people" you mention members of this group, or members of the "real world"? If the latter, I can believe that the interest is underwhelming. But if the former, I would think there would be a lot of interest. Some members have high enough incomes over which they don't have a lot of control that it wouldn't apply to them, but it also seems a lot are in the situation where they do have a lot of control over their income from year to year - all the interest in the ACA subsidies threads is evidence of this.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Also don't forget that return of capital is tax-free.

So if you sell $100,000 of shares that you paid $50,000 for back in 2009, you will have $100,000 to spend because you won't pay any taxes on it. Wow! That could be $100,000 a year for life all tax free!
This raises another complexity in tax planning: In a given year, do you cash in some taxable investments and realize some capital gains, staying within the 15% tax bracket, so the capital gains are tax-free, or do you take a distribution from an IRA, staying within the 15% tax bracket, so you won't be faced with a bigger tax bill when the RMDs kick in at age 70 1/2 and put you in a higher tax bracket? Just one example of a trade-off to be considered.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

^ You use Retirement Calculator - Parameter Form and TurboTax to plan your withdrawals and Roth conversions so that you don't have to ever pay Federal income tax again. Or you don't plan and pay lots of income tax for no good reason.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
^ You use Retirement Calculator - Parameter Form and TurboTax to plan your withdrawals and Roth conversions so that you don't have to ever pay Federal income tax again. Or you don't plan and pay lots of income tax for no good reason.
That calculator doesn't work for me. It keeps saying model error please correct the form but doesn't highlight or give you any info of where to correct.

Worth the price I paid to use it though.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

LOL!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #13

I too have noticed that the OPR calculator has recently started to return "Model Error". Anyone else notice this. Been using this for many years and it just started this behavior with the same inputs I've always used.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #14

I wish I had to worry about bumping up against the $72,000 limit....not an issue for us. I'm just in the process of trying to figure out how to avoid as much US + UK tax if we move back to the UK in a few years.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

One little quirk to remember is that even if you in the 0% cap gains bracket, your taxes may rise slightly if you earn more dollars even while remaining in the 0% bracket. This happened to me a few years ago. I was deducting some of my HI premiums on Schedule A but when I had a cap gain distribution at the end of the year, it raised the 7.5% (now 10%) AGI threshold and lowered the amount of deductible medical expenses a little bit, raising my TI and tax bill a little bit. It was not a lot, but this is how I learned that the 0% bracket was not always 0%.

And don't forget about state income taxes which often treat cap gains income, regardless of type, as ordinary income.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #16

No state income tax for me. WA
Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #17

Another useful quirk to know about........esp. for Roth converters who want to fill the 15% bracket. Be sure to check out your concept of what that means w/ tax software or a calculator. If you convert too much because of that misconception , you can run into the phantom 30% bracket when you were expecting 15%. Note that if this happens, you can recharacterize the offending amount to escape in the following year, but better to avoid than to cure the problem.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are in the zero percent bracket for long term capital gains, you are also in the zero bracket for qualified (stock) dividends. Just adds another wrinkle to the asset location juggling act.
Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote