Another TurboTax E-file Question

CaptainO

Dryer sheet aficionado
First time e-filer here. I was going to e-file just my federal return and mail my state return, but am now considering e-filing both.

I’ve seen some posters mention they delay e-filing the state, instead of filing both at the same time. If you’re one of those people, would you mind explaining why you do it this way? How long do you wait?

Any other tips before I pull the trigger are welcome. Thanks!

Here in IL.
I e-file Fed returns (I do ours and 3 other relatives).

Due to IL wanting a mailed Fed return with the mailed State return, I resist mailing the State return as I think it's stupid of them.

IL does have a good but slightly odd web site to do the return online, this saves the ~$20 e-filing fee.
Since State returns are simple and they give immediate confirmation of having received it, that is how I do it for everyone. (I do use the tax program software State return to compare to be sure I'm correct before submitting).

Weirdly IL says your Fed return has to be submitted prior to the State return, I'm not sure of the truth of that, otherwise why have a person mail in the Fed return :confused:

I’ve seen some posters mention they delay e-filing the state, instead of filing both at the same time. If you’re one of those people, would you mind explaining why you do it this way? How long do you wait?

Michigan resident here.

I e-file the federal return, and print out the state return and snail-mail it the next time I go to the post office. Turbo Tax charges $20 additional to e-file the state return, which I think is a rip-off.

If I owe on either the federal or state, I delay filing as late as possible, usually April 15.

omni

Last edited:
First time e-filer here. I was going to e-file just my federal return and mail my state return, but am now considering e-filing both.

If you're going to e-file the state return, there's usually no need or advantage to delay and do it later than the Fed. Even if you owe money, you can schedule the date for the direct debit for April 15 or mail a check separately if you prefer.

The main reason I can think of for delaying would be if the software for the state is incomplete or has a known bug. You might want to get the Fed return in ASAP if you're expecting a big refund or are worried about identity theft, but in that case you'd wait until the state issues were resolved before filing that return.

Michigan resident here.

I e-file the federal return, and print out the state return and snail-mail it the next time I go to the post office. Turbo Tax charges $20 additional to e-file the state return, which I think is a rip-off.

If I owe on either the federal or state, I delay filing as late as possible, usually April 15.

omni

MI resident here. Same as omni. Can’t see spending $20 to save the effort of printing and mailing. I do wish MI had a site where you could file on line by filing out the forms on a State site, like Sunset described for IL. The return would be simple enough to enter in manually using TT to actually do the return. Even better, I could save a few bucks and not have to pay for the TT with State version.

Some states, I know NC does this, will not accept their e-file return until after the Federal e-file return is accepted. So waiting until the Federal e-file return is accepted is reasonable. I have had to tweak my Federal e-file return a time or two in the last 20-30 years for it to be accepted. Since the TT federal return feeds information into the NC return, may as well wait until the Federal e-file return is accepted before doing the NC one, which is usually less than a 5 minute exercise.

This is one rare area I Blow That Dough and pay the state filing fee. It just feels good to be done and not wondering about that envelope.

This is one rare area I Blow That Dough and pay the state filing fee. It just feels good to be done and not wondering about that envelope.

I just can’t get over what a rip off $20 is for a service that actually saves the state money. They should encourage electronic filing with a free to small fee. It must cost a lot more to have a person actually process a return.

I don’t mind blowing dough, but there’s just a few things that I can’t get past. Fees are on the top of he list. It was silly how far out of my way I used to go to keep from paying an ATM fee. Thankfully, my current card works at so many places it’s not an issue.

Not sure who gets the $20, but I’d be willing to pay $5.

PA resident here. As many others expressed, TurboTax uses a state efile fee to increase revenue, my TT package wants $25 to send the PA state return. I'll mail it in along with the check for the balance due. Since I also owe federal, I'll probably wait until April 1 to efile, though may do it sooner to prevent some one else filing a fraudulent return before me.

Same here. The ~ $20 splurge for me is worth the comfort knowing the tax filing is done and out of the way.

Makes me recall the good old days before tax software where I'd buy one of those tax books, maybe go to library or post office to photocopy some blank forms, and wait at post office to drop off to send. I'm happy to e-file the state and call another year bites the dust :).

I just can’t get over what a rip off $20 is for a service that actually saves the state money. They should encourage electronic filing with a free to small fee. It must cost a lot more to have a person actually process a return.

I don’t mind blowing dough, but there’s just a few things that I can’t get past. Fees are on the top of he list. It was silly how far out of my way I used to go to keep from paying an ATM fee. Thankfully, my current card works at so many places it’s not an issue.

Not sure who gets the $20, but I’d be willing to pay $5.

Normally, I feel the same way. I have no idea why, but I'm blowing the dough for this. Weird. Agree $5 makes more sense.

Now, ATM fees? No Friggin' Way. I have never, ever paid one, and I'll walk 100 miles to find a fee-free ATM if I have to.

VA state here, I normally efile federal and mail in state. I don't like having to pay a fee to pay taxes and I normally owe a small amount when I file state taxes so I print them and then send with a check. I'm out of checks and this year I get a refund from VA so I did efile both. No reasonable excuse for charging to file state but no excuse to avoid for only $20 once a year. One other reason to efile, I normally get a nice bottle of booze to crack after I finish taxes.

May not apply, but if you OWE the state you can eFile now and pay on Apr 15th - you don't have to pay at the same time as you eFile. I've done that several times with Fed and State, mailed a check later. FWIW

Same here. The ~ $20 splurge for me is worth the comfort knowing the tax filing is done and out of the way.

Makes me recall the good old days before tax software where I'd buy one of those tax books, maybe go to library or post office to photocopy some blank forms, and wait at post office to drop off to send. I'm happy to e-file the state and call another year bites the dust :).

I do the same, for the same reason. Particularly this year when you KNOW both the state and federal tax collectors are running way behind with opening mail.

Normally I mail a check to the state. This year I will pay on line just for the peace of mind.

I'm in the blow the dough on the state efile camp. I just want it done and efile is easy. Printing the return out and posting it is a PITA and the Post Office is having significant problems these days.

PA resident here. As many others expressed, TurboTax uses a state efile fee to increase revenue, my TT package wants $25 to send the PA state return. I'll mail it in along with the check for the balance due. Since I also owe federal, I'll probably wait until April 1 to efile, though may do it sooner to prevent some one else filing a fraudulent return before me.

I efiled both Fed and CA taxes. TT also charged me $25. I worked with my son on his taxes and his CA charge was $20. Why is TT charging different prices? We used the same TT software on my desktop. I am retired filing MFJ return. His is a single. Is that the reason?

I efiled both Fed and CA taxes. TT also charged me $25. I worked with my son on his taxes and his CA charge was $20. Why is TT charging different prices? We used the same TT software on my desktop. I am retired filing MFJ return. His is a single. Is that the reason?

I ran into the same issue. I did our taxes ten days ago and there was a $20 fee for e-filing our MN taxes. Yesterday I was doing our Daughter's taxes on the same computer and same software (Turbotax Deluxe). The fee for her MN e-filing was $25.

I did a little on-line research and found people reporting that the increase applies to returns filed on or after March 1st. I couldn't find any official Turbotax information confirming this, but several people reported the same thing.

What I also could not find was where the money goes. Does all or part of this fee go to the state's revenue department, or is this extra revenue for Intuit?

BrianB

Last edited:
OK, this discussion of a Mar 1 price rise has me wanting to Hoard My Dough.

So, TT makes a defective product that can't file 8086 or 1116, forcing us to wait. Then they raise the price?

Anyone know if HR Block raised the price? My forms are complete on both platforms. I can file with Block instead.

EDIT: a little research shows H&R Block did not raise the price. Now I'm ticked off and am ready to take away the nice things I've said about TT in my comparison thread.

Last edited:
OK, this discussion of a Mar 1 price rise has me wanting to Hoard My Dough.

So, TT makes a defective product that can't file 8086 or 1116, forcing us to wait. Then they raise the price?

Anyone know if HR Block raised the price? My forms are complete on both platforms. I can file with Block instead.

EDIT: a little research shows H&R Block did not raise the price. Now I'm ticked off and am ready to take away the nice things I've said about TT in my comparison thread.
I know the issue with the 1116 has been corrected as I've successfully filed. And how do we know where the issue was, could have been Intuit but could have been the IRS as well, or both. It's my first issue with a TT filing in over 15 years, so I'm not going to assume who was at fault until I know definitively. YMMV

And I never eFile state, but found this interesting (I assumed states were doing it): [edit: However I note states only provide a way to eFile for free for low income taxpayers, anyone else has no choice but to use tax preparation software and paying to eFile...]
Intuit TurboTax said:
How much does it cost to e-file my return electronically?

If you're looking for an excuse not to e-file, it isn't cost, because the IRS and states do not charge for e-filing. The only costs associated with e-filing are those charged by a tax preparer or tax software. Depending on the software brand and version, electronic filing charges have ranged from free to around $25. Tax preparers may charge more.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/e-file/e-file-income-tax-return-electronic-filing/L9DnoQ39y

Last edited:
Got my taxes e-filed about 15 minutes ago. Just waiting for the acceptance emails now.

Yes, I got shaken down for the $25 state emailing cost. When asked "Who's your Daddy?" I replied "Intuit".

Next year, look like I'll have a tough decision, to file earlier and save the $5 or do my usual procrastinating til March.

Back
Top Bottom