Join Early Retirement Today

Another Vanguard problem
Old 06-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another Vanguard problem

Well, I just got an email from Vanguard stating they are going to start charging a fee of $25 PER ACCOUNT... exceptions below...

I do not have $5 mill, so they are forcing me to either go paperless or move my money... I will choose the later on most of my accounts... heck, already moved some to Schwab...

• Clients who've elected e-delivery of statements and the annual privacy policy notice; confirmations; reports, prospectuses, and proxy materials; and notices, amendments, and other important account updates.
  • Clients enrolled in an advisory program serviced by an affiliate of Vanguard (e.g., Vanguard Digital Advisor, Vanguard Personal Advisor).
  • Clients with at least $5 million in qualifying Vanguard assets.
  • Clients who have an organization or a trust account registered under an employee identification number (EIN).
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2023, 01:49 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Problem? I'd say it's a good solution to try to keep costs low. If you want statements and such mailed to you, you should pay for it yourself, not have the cost shared by others. $25 probably doesn't completely cover it if you're having everything mailed.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The only paper I receive is the consolidated tax statement. If they charge $25 I’ll be moving to FIDO. The email doesn’t mention tax docs.
Piper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ve been meaning to give up paper statements from
vanguard. This will push me to finally do it. The amount of paper I get from them is really awful. Kudos to vanguard for doing this.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

One man’s poison is another’s pleasure.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Guess VG doesn't want those low life $1Millon accounts pawning off of everybody else .
Old 06-01-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I try really hard to not get paper statements.
Too easy to have them stolen.
Too much paper to store over the years.

I don't get CC statements, bank statement, brokerage statement, etc... my mailbox is clean
Old 06-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We moved to electronic a couple years ago. Now I much prefer it. I typically download what I want to store long term and no longer need boxes of paper for my records.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:00 PM   #9

I like getting the paper statements. Downloaded ones would be okay, but if/when I pass, how would heirs know that I even had an account? And DW is not all that great with online banking and such, I'm not going to make things more difficult for her at an otherwise very stressful time.

And as far as the cost of mailing them goes, not too long ago there were no objections to that and now they want to change the rules in the middle of the game. I find that offensive.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I like getting the paper statements. Downloaded ones would be okay, but if/when I pass, how would heirs know that I even had an account?
I maintain a master list of all of our accounts, account numbers, passwords for online access, contact phone numbers, etc. A hard copy of the list is in our lock box with other important papers.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:08 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper20 View Post
The only paper I receive is the consolidated tax statement. If they charge $25 I’ll be moving to FIDO. The email doesn’t mention tax docs.
You would go through the hassles of moving everything to FIDO just so that you don't have to click on the website's consolidated tax statement to get it and then print it yourself if you want a hard copy? I have issues with Vanguard's website, but access to my tax statements is not one of them. It's very easy. And Turbotax imports the information anyway without me having to personally input each piece of information from my tax statements.

If FIDO hasn't adopted a paperless policy yet, I would think that they will eventually. More and more companies are charging if you don't go paperless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Guess VG doesn't want those low life $1Millon accounts pawning off of everybody else .
I'm someone with one of those lowlife $1 million accounts, and I am happy to see Vanguard do this. It not only saves paper, but saves processing and mailing costs. People who want paper mailed to them are getting an extra service that paperless customers (including the lowlife paperless customers) don't get. I don't see the problem with requiring them to pay for it themselves rather than passing on those costs to lowlifes like me.
NomDeER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #12

Fidelity made paperless the default more than 5 years ago. You can still get documents mailed from Fidelity at no charge. You’ll get a reminder to switch to paperless every 2 months.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like getting the paper statements. Downloaded ones would be okay, but if/when I pass, how would heirs know that I even had an account? And DW is not all that great with online banking and such, I'm not going to make things more difficult for her at an otherwise very stressful time.

And as far as the cost of mailing them goes, not too long ago there were no objections to that and now they want to change the rules in the middle of the game. I find that offensive.
You want to go back to the way things were when you started with Vanguard, with no rule changes? Probably no online transfers, so you have to mail checks to invest and get mailed checks to get withdrawals. No online access at all if you started long enough ago. More transaction fees. If you hadn't noticed VG fund expenses have mostly gone down over the years, haven't they? But let's keep them high because that would be changing the rules.

And this change you find offensive?

If this is really the magic that makes things all good for your heirs, $25 doesn't seem like much to do that. But I'm sure there are other ways.

I'm trying not to overwhelm my son or whoever has to deal with my estate with a mountain of papers, much of it out of date but how can they tell? So I have one document with all of my accounts and acct #s and web address or phone # to contact them to get things settled.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The cost to mail paper statements is tiny. It's all the other mailings that get expensive and cumbersome. I like the electronic document option for both VG and Fidelity but they really should offer an option to receive a quarterly statement by mail. DW will probably struggle to access my many accounts even if I leave detailed instructions.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
…,.., Downloaded ones would be okay, but if/when I pass, how would heirs know that I even had an account? And DW is not all that great with online banking and such, I'm not going to make things more difficult for her at an otherwise very stressful time.
Good points for folks to consider. My DW is
fine with online banking. For heirs, I have an estate book for our executor which includes a summary spreadsheet showing all our account, a hard copy of the end of year statement for each account, and contact info for our financial and legal contacts.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the same this week. They were getting harder and harder to deal with until it was really aggravating!
Gulfbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
The cost to mail paper statements is tiny. It's all the other mailings that get expensive and cumbersome. I like the electronic document option for both VG and Fidelity but they really should offer an option to receive a quarterly statement by mail. DW will probably struggle to access my many accounts even if I leave detailed instructions.
Tiny * 30,000,000 is a really big number.

Actually my job requisition was approved to work on a project that combined checks when you had multiple accounts for another vendor in financial services. I was cheaper than postage.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:18 PM   #18

I asked a Vanguard Flagship representative this very question 2 hours ago after she assisted me consolidating a Sep-IRA account. I asked her if my brokerage accounts would be individually charged $25 because I don’t have $5M invested with Vanguard? She took 30 seconds to look over my accounts, then said yes, I would be charged, and it would take place in October. She added that changing to electronic delivery would waive the fees. I said I really like receiving my quarterly statements in the mail, and the tax documents. She said that those don’t count, but the confirmations and prospectuses, etc, would need to be e-delivery. When I said I already receive those electronically, she spent another minute looking over my account. She then said that I would not be charged the fees. I thanked her and hung up, but I’m not entirely sure she knew herself. She seemed rather green, and I was surprised she was a Flagship representative.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:26 PM   #19

This is probably a bit off-topic, but I asked a Fidelity representative if I could receive everything by e-delivery except for a mailed end-of-year statement, and mailed tax documents. He said that while tax documents could be mailed, there was no way to automatically mail an end-of-year statement. I must call and request it.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm trying not to overwhelm my son or whoever has to deal with my estate with a mountain of papers, much of it out of date but how can they tell? So I have one document with all of my accounts and acct #s and web address or phone # to contact them to get things settled.
+1
We have many many BOXES of papers from FIL stacked in a corner of a room we don't use. He kept all the papers.
This is after throwing out a huge pile of paper that is older than 7 years...

Of course we had to shred every frigging page, I would have a stack and shred them until the machines got too hot. We have 3 shredders

It's very confusing when people keep outdated papers around, and if a person is not shredding and throwing them away because it's too hard. Realize it will be harder for the the heirs, as they don't know off the top of their head "that account is closed/transferred" etc...