Another...when to retire article

Obviously a gentleman cat.

No need to snotty about it. :facepalm: All I said was it is subject to interpretation how much description is needed.
You are correct that the precise level of description or commentary required to accompany a link is not specified. Nor do I think it ever could be, as circumstances vary. At a minimum, it should be enough to inform people what they may be heading for if they click the link, so they can decide whether they want to do so. More information, and the poster's commentary in particular, is helpful to spur more interesting engagement and discussion.

But that is not "all you said".

Naked Links are fine IMHO as long as there is a "small" description as to content. If one is going to completely summarize the content or provide a thesis on it, there is no point in having the link at all.

In other words the request in the rules is somewhat ambiguous, and subject to interpretation, as for me a very brief intro is all this post needed. The statement in the Rules really only seems to be a request anyway. It does not say "Posting “naked” links, defined as links posted without explanation, interpretation or context is not permitted.

E.g: "5 reasons to retire as early as you can" would have been more than adequate.

For others, they would rather have the thesis than the link. Go Figure.

At least on my browser, hovering over the link shows "https://www.rgj.com/story/money/2019/09/27/5-reasons-to-retire-as-early-as-you-can/40202767/"

But I guess "Please do not post “naked” links" actually means " naked links are not permitted. Oh well.

Last edited:
At least on my browser, hovering over the link shows "https://www.rgj.com/story/money/2019/09/27/5-reasons-to-retire-as-early-as-you-can/40202767/"

More context than that. There are countless articles on retiring. So when I see this, I question what makes this one worth taking the time to read. It turns out, it wasn't.

Most aren't. Just click to feed the authors.

Don't click. Let 'em starve. Maybe they'll die and be seen no more.

Here's my synopsis, for those who don't like to follow links for some reason, or who would rather that someone else do the reading for them...

Thank you for politely demonstrating how it's supposed to be done.

What a bunch of whiny babies I’ve never seen a forum quite like this....
Life is too short

Exactly. Life is too short to click on every link someone posts. A bit of explanation as to why you thought it was worth reading (or not) would go a long way toward making your post a bit more valuable to the readers of the forum, and helping us decide if it's worth several minutes of our lives.

Personally, I think the few minutes I spent reading the synopsis was enough. I hope the few extra minutes I spent explaining the reason for the tradition of not posting bare links might help the forum.

Time well spent. Moving along now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom