Join Early Retirement Today

Another withdrawal thread
Old 04-15-2021, 05:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another withdrawal thread

Hypothetically, if you have $3 million portfolio made up of 70% stocks and 30% bonds and wish to embark on a 5% withdrawal rate then what it the general thinking on he drawdown from each category? Would you take 50% of your needs out of each, or a weighted withdrawal based on the category and rebalance at the same time. Thinking of a once a year lump sum withdrawal.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 06:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First, I would turn off reinvestment of dividends and CG distributions and use that as part of my 5%. To get the rest I'd weight withdrawals to bring my portfolio back to my desired AA.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally, I do as RunningBum says. But if you prefer to do once-a-year withdrawal, then I would withdraw from the investment(s) that will help you rebalance back to your desired allocation. That could be from one investment or multiple depending on what has happened to your allocation due to market conditions.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
First, I would turn off reinvestment of dividends and CG distributions and use that as part of my 5%. To get the rest I'd weight withdrawals to bring my portfolio back to my desired AA.
Does it matter if it was taxable or a tax-advantaged account? I know this makes sense for a taxable account, since you have to pay income tax on those distributions whether you reinvest or not; in fact, I've been doing that in our taxable account and just using it for spending money. (Our distributions are low and the taxable account is still growing.) But for a tax-advantaged account, all withdrawals are counted the same no matter where they come from, no STCG, so I lean towards reinvesting in the short term. But please tell me why I'm wrong, that's how I learn.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Does it matter if it was taxable or a tax-advantaged account? I know this makes sense for a taxable account, since you have to pay income tax on those distributions whether you reinvest or not; in fact, I've been doing that in our taxable account and just using it for spending money. (Our distributions are low and the taxable account is still growing.) But for a tax-advantaged account, all withdrawals are counted the same no matter where they come from, no STCG, so I lean towards reinvesting in the short term. But please tell me why I'm wrong, that's how I learn.
I'm not RunningBum, but from my perspective, you are correct.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #6

Sell whichever one exceeds the AA target. If that isn't enough, sell 70% stock 30% bond. The net result is that you're back at 70/30.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
It can matter. I'm under 59.5, so I'm not withdrawing at all from IRAs, so I reinvest dividends in my IRAs. If I was withdrawing from IRAs, I'd probably not reinvest.

Your point about not having to worry about STCGs is accurate, but if I was going to be withdrawing cash from an IRA in the near future, I'd probably rather have it in cash in my IRA. I haven't fully thought that through yet for myself. I don't see a problem with reinvesting dividends and staying fully invested right up until you need the cash.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
Hypothetically, if you have $3 million portfolio made up of 70% stocks and 30% bonds and wish to embark on a 5% withdrawal rate then what it the general thinking on he drawdown from each category? Would you take 50% of your needs out of each, or a weighted withdrawal based on the category and rebalance at the same time. Thinking of a once a year lump sum withdrawal.
I let all mutual fund distributions go to cash, which I then leave in my retirement portfolio until the next Jan. This is usually enough to cover my Jan withdrawal which is more like 3.5% of taxable investments or 3% including our IRAs. So I’m not trying to meet 5%. After withdrawing my annual income from cash, I then rebalance my retirement portfolio to my target AA.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
First, a 5% WR might or might not be sustainable. This is far more important to assess than the question you actually asked.

As for your question, withdraw however is convenient, and rebalance periodically (every year or so seems to be fine) back to 70/30. Avoid rebalancing in taxable accounts as much as possible.

I reinvest dividends in tax-deferred and do not reinvest dividends in taxable. Taxable dividends just go into the spending stream.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:24 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More than one way to skin a withdrawal strategy...but I think like audrey does since we are heavy in cash....I take the withdrawal from cash, then rebalance the portfolio...which is pretty easy since we have relatively few different investments.