Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another word besides retirement
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Another word besides retirement

So we are getting close. I wanted 2014 to be the year and we are considering scaling back our expectations in order to make it, but realistically 2015 or 2016 may be more likely.

Anyway, we don't like to say retirement as that brings up images of slow lifestyles or not working at all. We may very well work part time. Being 44/56 we will likely work fun jobs, but high pressure career jobs will be over. Semi-retirement doesn't sound quite right, freedom sounds corny, FIRE too hard to explain....

What do you call working 25-50% time for some years for 1/10th your previous wage so you can enjoy life more?
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Slowing down
Going part time
Changing priorities
Changing focus
Smelling the roses
Sharpening the saw
Etc........
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, bspooky.

I think the answer depends. Are you looking for words on which to construct your own model? Or a phrase to use in conversation?

"Starting a business" is one phrase that may serve both purposes. As in walking in the house after the retirement party and saying "Now we're in business!"
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Mostly for in conversations with others. Somewhat tiring to hear "you are too young to retire" and also want to avoid drawn out explanations. Our finances are our business of course and we do not owe anyone explanations. However, on the flip side a method of explaining away quitting lucrative careers and working what some would consider menial jobs for part time and part of the year is desirable.

And partly for our own frame of reference. We are fortunate to be where we are and need to wrap our heads around this too.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have been using "retigerment." Implies finding one's inner tiger, after years of keeping it tightly leashed.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I started ratcheting down in 2002, now 1-2 days a week if and when I want to work. Friends and relatives refer to my job as my "situation" or "arrangement" in conversation. I refer to it as part time, semi-retired, doing consulting or whatever term seems to fit the day. Experiment with a few terms and see what fits.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yep, consulting, or maybe private investment manager. Of course, drunken layabout works as well...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I call it "rejuvenation": to restore to a previous state, to make young again, to make fresh or new again.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

I tell people that I retired from my career job in 2006 and started my low stress part-time job in 2010. I was working 24 hours per week, but my office manager had a stroke 10/21/13 and I have been working 40 hours per week since that time. Not sure when she will be able to come back to work. We do not see patients on Tues and Thurs, so as long as every thing is done, I am allowed to surf the web, read, watch TV, etc. I had everything done, by 8:15AM today. Just answering the phone, sending prescriptions, etc the rest of the time. I will still be glad to get back to 24 hours per week.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Yep, consulting, or maybe private investment manager. Of course, drunken layabout works as well...
DH is doing some of that, come to think about it. The layabout part, I mean.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspooky View Post
Mostly for in conversations with others. Somewhat tiring to hear "you are too young to retire" and also want to avoid drawn out explanations. Our finances are our business of course and we do not owe anyone explanations. However, on the flip side a method of explaining away quitting lucrative careers and working what some would consider menial jobs for part time and part of the year is desirable.

And partly for our own frame of reference. We are fortunate to be where we are and need to wrap our heads around this too.
You left mega-corp to pursue your passions!
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I tell people "through hard work and being very fortunate, I'm now pursuing an encore career on my terms."
enjoyinglife102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I never fully understand why anyone would be concerned about finding some euphemism to call their "early retirement" or having a need to explain themselves. And having a "long drawn out explanation" takes two, there's no need. When it comes up for the first time, just downplay your status and change the subject - it's pretty easy, even with family and close friends. 'There are advantages and disadvantages to work and retirement' (there are), 'I might like to go back to work at a different career' or something along those lines whether true or not.

They won't admit it but most (not all) people just want to be told that (early) retirement is not nirvana, and they're OK by continuing work - it's not about you.

You can go on and on about how wonderful (early) retirement is or how much you saved to enable your retirement, but you're just asking for more questions, maybe even uncomfortable ones. So just tell them what they want to hear right off the bat and be done with it, that's where the conversation will go to anyway.

And many times the other party really doesn't much care, they're just making conversation, and the early retiree makes far too much of the questions - it's just making conversation often times.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You will need a bunch of basically stupid friends to get away with anything other than the last.

Ha
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You will need a bunch of basically stupid friends to get away with anything other than the last.

Ha
If they were really my "friends", they would already know...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If they were really my "friends", they would already know...
Oh, they know...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #17

Even though I wouldn't be considered an ER, I think I'll just tell people that "I lost my job." I won't be trying very hard to find a new one and I'm very picky about what I am willing to do. I certainly won't work for less money or with less responsibility. I'm not willing to relocate or have a long commute. If people really annoy me, I tell them money is getting tight and I'll ask for a "loan."
Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The quip that I always liked (but didn't use) was that "I retired for health reasons (I was sick of working)".

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If asked, I would just say something like this (insert the appropriate former and present jobs accordingly):

"Oh, I decided to move from my job as (Grand Poo-bah at Megacorps? Fill in the blank), to this great new part time job that I have (flipping burgers a Mickey D's? Fill in the blank)".

You could follow that by saying that you love your new hours and the smell of rancid oil in the morning (or whatever). That should throw them completely off balance, at which point you say, "How about dem Saints?" or "Do you know anyone at all who has obtained a new insurance policy through healthcare.gov?" or some such emotionally charged question, to change the subject.

Later, they will be asked by their friends or spouses, "How is bspooky doing these days?" They'll answer, with a puzzled expression, "I'm not sure. I think he lost his job or something; he's working at Mickey D's, but, brave guy, he has such a great attitude."

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Another word besides retirement:

At age 53, we called it "testing the waters"... 24 years later, so far, so good.