Any 3%ers out there?

Not before, but waited until I was 54 which is in the 3%. That was important as within that calendar year I turned 55 which gave me more options with my 401k for withdrawals. [emoji41]
Same as my timing. 54, year I turned 55. Didn't end up needing the ability to pull early without penalty, but it was a good excuse.

I don't qualify. I took a year off at 54 thinking I might not go back to work (IT), but ended up going back for a couple of years before I was sure. I still got out a month before turning 57.

Congrats to you all !

I worked till age 61 and truth be told, I am abit envious of yawl going at such young ages !

Well done !

Having said that, I'm grateful to be retired - even if later in life.

Retired at 54 1/2. Am I a 3 1/2 %er?

1%'er. I called it an Early E-R. Have passed year 19 without even noticing. My original sig line years ago here was "I shall work no more forever". Apologies to Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce for my modification of his phrase. His phrase marked the sad end of his civilization. My phrase marked the glad end of my uncivilization.

Not before, but waited until I was 54 which is in the 3%. That was important as within that calendar year I turned 55 which gave me more options with my 401k for withdrawals. [emoji41]

Not quite there yet for me, but this is my thinking/plan. Out in early 2023 at age 54 (but I turn 55 late that year). 2022 will be PT work (4-day work week). Heading to the off-ramp...

17%er, perhaps ~10%. Was good enough for me.

She should understand then.:D
My father was quite proud that I was able to find a Plan B after not being able to find work.

She should understand but she has either forgotten or ?? I haven’t figured out her motivation yet.

Sigh

Maybe they wanted to, but after being pointed toward FireCalc they learned that they didn't have quite enough? There could also be a discussion of what you consider early and what they do.

"Early" is best defined by the person claiming to be ER.

In my personal view, any retirement prior to collecting SS would be considered early, so there is no point quibbling about somewhat early, very early, extremely early, etc.

I retired at 50. I figured the vast majority of this forum was going to be people who retired early, since it’s right there in the name. I’m actually confused why there’s so many here who didn’t retire until more normal retirement age.

No confusion necessary. The name can be aspirational as well as descriptive. In fact, there are plenty of young people here who are currently working hard to retire "early" (however they define it). Those strivers may succeed, or they may not. There are also those already retired, some "early," some not so early. We welcome everyone.

Last edited:
I missed it by a few years. I am 46, have bene retired for 6 months. Yes, 6 whopping months.

Retired the month I turned 54 and never looked back. Turned 70 in June and if I had any regrets whatsoever, it's that I didn't retire earlier.

I too thought the title was referring to safe withdrawal rate. I'm not 3% in either category.

-17%er for early retirement. Age 58 in 2020

-4.0% WR until start of SS and mortgage paid off in 2028. Then 1.5%

I'm a 13%er based on that chart, and I might as well have worked a few more years. But I don't regret pulling the trigger when I did, are retirement planning odds of success are very good if history is any guide...

I was out at 52 as soon as I knew my numbers were solid. Original plan was 55, which would have enabled me to retain unvested options and RSUs, plus a bigger pension. But the job had become quite unpleasant and I wanted more time to do things I enjoy.

DW followed 3 years later at 56, but we were FI when she was 53. She enjoyed her job, the routine, the people. She only retired at 56 because her boss of 26 years was also retiring. She misses the routine and the people but didn't want to go through a bunch of reorganization.

The graph looks depressing. I want to retire at 58. It looks like that I will be in the 17% category, which makes me feel strange. I want to be with the flow.

I had the opposite reaction. At 59, I m still ahead of the wave starting at 61 so it still feels early.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom