Any 3%ers out there?

Out at 51, 59 now. During the depths of COVID, I contemplated going back to part time work, just to keep myself occupied, and even got thru part of the certifications I would need. I didn’t need the money and in fact between all the taxes fees (fed and state taxes -that the voters elected to double on my income bracket, certification and continuing education) I’d be lucky to keep 30% of the marginal part time income I’d be making. So I threw in the towel and decided to just travel a little more to keep me occupied. I’ll never go back to paid work unless all hell breaks loose and the economy and the markets implode…but then there’ll be no jobs anyway…at least for a geezer.

I never knew I was a 1%er. Retired at 44. It's only been a few years, but so far it's great!

Done at 45. Always wanted to be done in my 40's, but the plan was for early to mid 50's since I didn't see how I could save enough sooner. Got lucky though, and beat my deadline. In retrospect, I wish I could have pulled the plug earlier, maybe 40.

Hats off to all you folks, esp. the sub 40 crowd. Just wow!

I guess it doesn't count since I actually retired at 58, but I was financially independent (FI) at 51. I COULD have retired.

Told here many times before: At 51, my pension and company sponsored health insurance vested. My "stash" was making a lot more than my salary. BUT - I had w*rked my whole megacorp c@reer to create a niche for myself. Upon accomplishing that, I stayed to enjoy the fruits of my l@bors.

As in most megacorps, it would seem someone finally figured out I was actually enjoying what I was doing and decided "we can't have that!" On a Thursday, I found out my dream j*b would be turned into a cube-slave j*b. On Friday, DW and I huddled for the week-end. Monday was (ironically) L*bor Day. Tuesday, I informed my boss, his boss and her boss that I would be retiring on Friday (actually end of Sept. what with using my saved vacation.)

So can't claim 3% (or 4%) status, but I COULD have. The extra cash in the stash has mostly gone to my favorite charities. YMMV

I semi-retired at 47 and fully retired at 50, so I'm not sure what percentage that puts me in. From the graph, looks like I'd be in roughly the 2-3% bracket. Oddly enough, I think that's also about where I am when it comes to total NW for my age.

For the record, I could have fully retired at 47 or even a bit earlier, but I was still getting comfortable with the idea and needed to ease into it via part time w*rk for a few years. Didn't need the money, just needed a smooth glide path from 40 hours per week down to zero. Quite happy with the way I did it, looking back.

As in most megacorps, it would seem someone finally figured out I was actually enjoying what I was doing and decided "we can't have that!" On a Thursday, I found out my dream j*b would be turned into a cube-slave j*b. On Friday, DW and I huddled for the week-end. Monday was (ironically) L*bor Day. Tuesday, I informed my boss, his boss and her boss that I would be retiring on Friday (actually end of Sept. what with using my saved vacation.)

I resemble that comment!! :LOL:

Hit my stride mid career, was now no longer the "college kid" and I actually knew what I was doing. Became a subject matter expert in a couple of obscure areas in our obscure little industry. Started enjoying myself fielding young teams to fix things the big name players couldn't or wouldn't (risk of career suicide). Well, that was too much "unauthorized" fun. Was straightjacketed by management, attacked by their political hacks. I too gave very short notice and never looked back. :dance:

My wife and I retired at 58 and 60.

Had hoped to retire at 55 when I was younger, but did the math when our daughter was born and realized that wouldn't be possible. :)

I was going for the 'Freedom 55' but had enough and called it a day at 52. Now 60. DW who is 65 refuses to call it a day but I think I am wearing her down.

Took advantage of an early our ppt & Retired at 54 and now 61. So glad to be retired & the stock market being good to me!

Retired in June 2015 at age 53.
I'll admit I was a little scared, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Semi retired at 35....now working even more part time (down to 25 appts a month from 50-60).

My wife retired at 50. I worked till 56 to see my children through college.

If I quit work earlier, would not have the low WR I have now. I was working part-time doing contract work for the last 10 years in my work life, so it was not too bad.

13% here, DH retired at 59, me at 60.
Loving every minute!

Back
Top Bottom