Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Not to hi-jack this thread anymore that it has been but is the drought worse than the "dust bowl" days?
Actually, that's not really a hijack. It's a nice tie-in to life in the 1930s...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post

The Law of Mean Reversion scares me.
No one likes mean laws...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This has sure been a lively and popular thread. Unfortunately, the S&P was down 4.56% today and I feel like a bigger dumbsh*t.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
This has sure been a lively and popular thread. Unfortunately, the S&P was down 4.56% today and I feel like a bigger dumbsh*t.
All right...all right.....I can take a hint. Have one of my med's.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

group hug?.....
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
All right...all right.....I can take a hint. Have one of my med's.

It's too bad we are all so far apart. Now would be a good time to meet at the local pub for some meds
Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pushed 1/8th of my cash in today.

Bought SV fund this morning just because we had a bad week last week and we opened lower today. This afternoon when I saw how bad the day was shaping up I pushed a similar amount in to my S&P fund.

Keep the faith!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
If we continue into a deflationary spiral, history shows that retiree's with pensions or other fixed, safe incomes, do well. People with debt, non-liquid assets, stocks etc. do poorly.
Of course with all this deficit spending, there's also the possibility of hyperinflation....
Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, the prolonged lack of rainfall in this part of the state is the worst on record - records dating back 150 years.. It was so bad late last summer that snakes were climbing up on our deck to get to the dog's water dish. Never seen that happen before...
I'm surprised no weatherman has made the connection between the drought and the preponderance of Texan posters on this board. Something about hot air and drought springs to mind.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:55 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Ha! (Well, at least we just had a couple of drizzly misty days. - way better than nothing!)

Audrey
Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I was at ground zero for IKE, 401k is down 30%. Sure '08 was a heck of a year but I'm still chuck'in money in the market. I'm not sure If I'm a bull or just hard-headed.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Pushed 1/8th of my cash in today.

Bought SV fund this morning just because we had a bad week last week and we opened lower today. This afternoon when I saw how bad the day was shaping up I pushed a similar amount in to my S&P fund.

Keep the faith!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, I just looked at my asset allocation after yesterday's sickening plunge. I am now down to 41:59 instead of my target 45:55. 3% off was borderline, but 4% is getting ridiculous.

If the market stays this low for a while, or (heaven forbid) drops further, I will to have to force myself to rebalance, whether I like it or not.

So much for the idea that the stimulus package was going to cause a market surge!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

I dropped another chunk of change into total stock and some in FTSE.
My cost basis looks a little better and I'm still hoping for the best.
We were low enough at the end of the day I thought it was worth the shot.
Here's to the bigger dumbsh***
Steve
Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps another small sign that the turnaround is near:

New lessons from the crash - Feb. 17, 2009
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
Perhaps another small sign that the turnaround is near:

New lessons from the crash - Feb. 17, 2009
Or not..

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Wall-Street-likely-fail-retest/story.aspx?guid={FB91F881-DFC8-4137-AA09-97376AC65312}

This thread seems to support this view (my posts included) so maybe we are the dumbsh*ts.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Call it dumb luck, but my feeling was that the stimulus package would not stimulate Wall Street, so over the last 3 weeks I quietly moved more to cash and short term bonds for my clients and in my own portfolio.......

If I had done that in December of 2007, maybe Buffet and Munger would be calling me........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Call it dumb luck, but my feeling was that the stimulus package would not stimulate Wall Street, so over the last 3 weeks I quietly moved more to cash and short term bonds for my clients and in my own portfolio.......
It's the storm before the calm.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If I had done that in December of 2007, maybe Buffet and Munger would be calling me........
Buffett and Munger should be calling the voices in my head telling me to get out on Halloween 2007. Maybe they would have acted on it, unlike me...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
However, my grandson just entered the workforce one year age with a great job in the medical field. I'm trying to get him to buy into the market now. At 21, what does he know about stocks and the future of the market; but I tell him there are thousands of people out there that will contimue to make this country succeed and for the market to act in a bullish fashion. It is not for him to reason why, it is for him to invest and high. What better chance to get into the market. Does anyone out there feel the same?
My nephew the Army Ranger joined the workforce in summer 2007 and finally exited the training pipeline last fall. He just made 1LT and he's spending 2009 (maybe part of 2010 too) in Iraq. Since the Army is paying almost all of his bills right now he's maxing out the Savings Deposit Program, his TSP, and his IRA.

After all of that he still has $500/month savings to put in his taxable account, and he's looking at an international equity index fund. He says that stock markets are among the least of his worries these days.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
After all of that he still has $500/month savings to put in his taxable account, and he's looking at an international equity index fund. He says that stock markets are among the least of his worries these days.
If I knew my job would still be here for me in 10-15 years, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about the stock market either. If I knew that I'd be perfectly fine with it staying depressed for a few more years of accumulating at low prices. Really it's the combination of a crashing market and a terrible employment situation which form the unsettling one-two punch. Either one by itself wouldn't alarm me, but both together (as usually happens, unfortunately) are scary.
Closed Thread