Join Early Retirement Today

Any Commerical agents out there?
Old 10-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any Commerical agents out there?

I am retiring and closing my business and selling my 2 commercial building, central Ohio . How is the market now, and predictions for the near future. What is best way to find a good agent? Thanks
Monterey298sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Maybe it's possible to sell your business and the 2 buildings.

Some business's sell for a lot of money, have you considered how much the business is worth ?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All I can suggest is you do need to talk with some commercial real estate professionals. They will understand what you have and what the possibilities are.

Also agree with Sunset, is there any value in the business itself? Would a buyer be interested in a deal including the buildings?

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Maybe it's possible to sell your business and the 2 buildings.

Some business's sell for a lot of money, have you considered how much the business is worth ?
Not possible in this case. I don’t want to ruin our families 138 year legacy buy selling to a big chain with our name on it.
I want to close on top! And not have my name run thru the mud in up coming years.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey298sc View Post
Not possible in this case. I don’t want to ruin our families 138 year legacy buy selling to a big chain with our name on it.
I want to close on top! And not have my name run thru the mud in up coming years.
Phone Warren.

I have no idea what your business is worth, but if I had a business worth a sizable amount, I'd sell it for the $$$.

A lot of good can be done with a pile of cash.

Plus I've always had this quality of knowing the value of my pride vs the false inflated value of pride.

Finally, if you don't sell it, but simply close up shop. Anybody can go ahead and use the name, or something incredibly similar, along with websites and social media accounts, and similar trademarks. Knowing that since your company is not in business, nobody will defend the usage against some other even foreign usage. So if it's a recognizable name, it will be used no matter what you do, unless you stay in the business of defending the name year after year.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not change the name of the business and then sell it? Your customers would not instantly disappear would they?

Oh wait. Is this the funeral home business that was discussed here in the past? if so, no need to rehash that thread.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
I am retiring and closing my business and selling my 2 commercial building, central Ohio . How is the market now, and predictions for the near future. What is best way to find a good agent? Thanks
I can refer you to a commercial real estate broker, call or text 610-427-3949 if you would like to discuss further. Name is BJ.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Many years ago my uncle sold a popular local budget hotel that he had built and run for a number of years that had a name that began with his surname... "Surname Inn".

Part of the deal was that the buyers could continue to use the name as long as the property maintained a 3-diamond AAA rating but if the AAA rating was ever less than 3-diamonds then they had to change the name. Sure enough, about 5 years after the sale the AAA rating was downgraded and the owners were forced to change the name.

Did I mention that my uncle is a pretty sharp dude?

Or you could sell it but retain the name so the buyers have to rename it which would disassociate your name from the business.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:18 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, but I just want to know what the Commerical market is currently form an expert. I know what I am doing with the business.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #10
gone traveling

@Monterey298sc, any update? Have you connected with an expert commercial real estate broker?
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote