Join Early Retirement Today

Any experiences with Vanguard International funds?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any experiences with Vanguard International funds?

I was looking at VWILX but I'm a bit hesitant because it just hit a 52-week high and because of the Admiral shares requirement.

Already in VWIUX and VWIAX so like Admiral funds but in this case, it may be topping so wonder if it's a good point to commit that much.

VWIGX of course has a similar portfolio but with a higher expense ratio. It also hit a 52-week high but doesn't require as much commitment.

Also encountered VGTSX in searching for info on Bogleheads about VWILX.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have VINIX via my 401k, but can offer little insight to what you're struggling with. Evidently you're a "value" investor given that you don't want to buy things near their recent highs.

I think most investments right now WILL be near their 52 week highs given what we've just gone through.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Well I did learn a lot about Admiral shares in this forum.

But I posted the same question at Bogleheads and they've so far pointed out other considerations more important than pure ER.

This is pretty helpful:

FAQ on Vanguard International Funds - Bogleheads

Yeah the timing is unfortunate but had some cash come available with the maturity of a CD and I want to change the percentages between cash and equities more, so I'll have to wade in a bit despite the high prices.

You hear a lot about how other regions will grow faster than the US in the short/medium term so hopefully that trend will continue.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #4

I've owned VGSTX as part of my international allocation (held in an IRA) since 2004 when its NAV was around $11. It is currently at $14+ so my returns have been modest, at best. It has paid out dividends and cap gains averaging around 2% during the time I have held it.

For me it is a low expense ratio access to the international markets. I expect to hold it indefinitely.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Most of my international exposure is with FTSE All-World Ex-US (VFWIX). It's about what one would expect. I have no problems with it, except that it doesn't offer Admiral shares.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've owned VTMGX and VEMAX for years and consider them above average performers in their categories (after expenses). Vanguard tends to have above average performers in most (but not all) categories, including international. But if you're looking for hot actively managed funds, that has never been Vanguards forte. IMO, above average actively managed funds are an oxymoron long-term anyway for at least 95% of us (who don't want to spend full time managing/trading investments). Best of luck...YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I've chose VFWIX for now.

Most of these VG international funds are up 40% YTD. So it may be too late but hoping it's better late than never.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #8

you could dollar cost average in and convert to admiral class shares when you have enough in there.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote