Join Early Retirement Today

Any FIREe's looking for a j*b?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any FIREe's looking for a j*b?

Just wondering if the recent events has made anyone who has already taken the plunge think about wading back into the cesspool of, dare I say it, doing that thing outside the home that pays you money.

What about those who were on the brink of FIRing? Have your plans changed at all?

I semi-FIRED in July and am working enough hours on a consultancy basis with my former employer to fund my personal trainer, car payment and medical insurance. However, for me this will come to an end in January, and the thought of looking for something else makes me want to puke. The truth of the matter is I don't have time to work.

We are thinking about DH finishing in January at which time we would return to Australia. However, we do not feel we would be comfortable both fully retiring given the economic climate. If we do take this option, we will likely both look to work approx. 1,000 hours a year until we come out of this economic slump.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not looking, but happy to keep the freelancing part-time work I have been doing. It sure helps.

This recent episode has made me grateful that my wife and I have been easing into this - by accident, not by planning - over the last 5 years. We have been doing OK despite these unplanned events in our careers, mainly by being LBYM'ers and having a big, nice, soft cushion of cash allocation. Only after coming to this forum did I realize that we were LOUSY planners, and too casual compared to other people who have to really sever the umbilical cord. But then, perhaps many have a pension too (which we don't), which helps a lot.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been scheduled to leave work at the end of the year, and then I have one year of pay coming to me for 2009. So in effect, 12/31/09. While we have had some market setbacks, we were moving to a 50/50 split in preparation for the event. I do have a pension with some COLA, and that helps a great deal. We are proceeding full stem ahead at this point. The only question on the horizon is whether and how much to rebalance in January, as we have moved to 58/42. As others have said before, if you have planned for contingencies and been conservative, everything should be fine. In planning, we had lots of safety nets, that I am glad we put in place. Obviously no one could plan for a market drop like this, but we have always LBYM, and the first year or two we will just rein things in. We have done it in the past, and it has worked well for us.
wheel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Ask me that Monday, I have one day of work left before early retirement.
If I really want to work I can sharpen shovels at my sons landscaping business.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
However, we do not feel we would be comfortable both fully retiring given the economic climate. If we do take this option, we will likely both look to work approx. 1,000 hours a year until we come out of this economic slump.
How's your SWR or your FIRECalc success rate? If the numbers work in this economic climate then things could only get better with recovery.

Of course things could get worse, too, but it sounds like you're able to find work at your discretion. The perfect "Work Less, Live More" scenario...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf15 View Post
Ask me that Monday, I have one day of work left before early retirement.
If I really want to work I can sharpen shovels at my sons landscaping business.
Old Mike
Congratulations!! Tough as it may be in these hard economic times, still I wish I were in your shoes...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Not now, not ever.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Well...... there's jobs and then there's jobs......

I'm hoping (optimisticly) to avoid going to work for an employer. I have, however, penciled in a growing number of tasks for myself around the house that will reduce expenditures and make life a little more enjoyable without outlaying much cash. When we had a significant cushion, finding someone willing to do this stuff for us would have been the extent of my involvement. With things pretty "cushionless," I've been setting the alarm and getting up to accomplish a few things myself!

Does that constitute looking for or having a job? Self-employed?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Only after I'd run out of raccoons to trap and eat.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
How's your SWR or your FIRECalc success rate? If the numbers work in this economic climate then things could only get better with recovery.

Of course things could get worse, too, but it sounds like you're able to find work at your discretion. The perfect "Work Less, Live More" scenario...
Nords, Firecalc says it's ok, however what is the unknown for us, is moving back to the homeland and not being 100% certain if we have budgeted. We know how much rent is going to be, can estimate insurances etc., but who really knows if being back in Australia is going to work for us or will we feel the need to travel much more than we thought? Also we have made assumptions that we can cut our expenditure, however we do not know how realistic this is when it comes to the crunch. One year of semi-retirement should tell us the story. If we find it totally unncessary I can guarantee I will be the first to never be selfish enough to take away a job from someone who might really want it and have a better attitude about turning up every day than I would.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

No, but I have increased my ebay selling !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No, but I have increased my ebay selling !
In another thread, people are reporting how they perceive of the spending by the public, as a way to gauge the economic downturn. May I ask about your experience on Ebay?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #13

I regularly get unsolicited letters from war-mongers/war-profiteers trying to convince me to head back into the American industrial military complex. My relatively recent top secret security clearance is probably the reason. I'd rather make a tiny amount of money being part of the solution rather than a large amount of money being part of the problem, so there's no way I'm ever plunging back into that cesspool. If that's the only option, I'd rather starve to death. A nice little nonprofit doing good work would be much more appealing, if it ever comes to that.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how it works, but the list of top secret security clearance holders is public?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Well...... there's jobs and then there's jobs......
I think Nords' allegiance to FIREcalc is sweet.. but on my upcoming trip to the States I plan on picking up several ESL workbooks/textbooks. (Not cheap! $40-50 each one) I hope I can round out a declining income somewhat by teaching English. Never done it before so I'll let you know how it goes if I am able to get a contingent of students off the ground.

I think by far the worst of it will be having to keep the house clean if I decide to open it up to students. Plus, teaching English is really a last resort, and Italians know it. A 'genteel' form of poverty beckons.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know how it works, but the list of top secret security clearance holders is public?
Definitely not. However, the security departments of defense contractors work closely with their counterparts in the relevant gov't agencies. This may or may not extend to the HR departments of these defense contractors. I have no other way of explaining how I'm getting on these war-monger / war-profiteer mailing lists.

A few weeks ago I was solicited by the Carlyle Group, which was really creepy because I had coincidentally just read about this outfit in a book which touched briefly on Saudi Arabian influence on American gov't policy. I lived in the DC area for four years, but never heard of them while I was there.

Meet The Carlyle Group - Former World Leaders and Washington Insiders Make Billions from the War on Terrorism

Disclaimer: I haven't independently verified any of the info on the above website.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #17

socca, I'm floored that you've not heard of them!

I have, though they'd have no reason to contact me. (perhaps now they will in a negative sense.. bwa ha ha!)

Largest PE group in the world. James Baker, GHWB, GWB, Carlucci, Rumsfeld, etc.

I doubt you would lose working with them. You could probably become very rich. Whether they would accept a 'radical' such as you amongst them is a different story (don't assume someone won't have read what you've posted here).

P.S. isn't "socca" a kind of French/mediterranean chickpea-based crepe? Sounds yummy. I know they make a similar thing in Liguria. Not all that far away from where i live, but Italian cuisine is quite parochial. A couple dozen km is more or less the limit of adoption.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I doubt you would lose working with them. You could probably become very rich.
If working as a cog in the American War Machine was the 2nd rung of hell, working for the Carlyle Group would be the 6th. Nevertheless, it would be fascinating to work there for a while, just to see to what extent the ugly rumors are actually true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Isn't "socca" a kind of French/mediterranean chickpea-based crepe? .
It sure is. I learned to make it while I was living in Nice, France. Very tasty.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

every day, i receive emails about local j*bs thru www.indeed.com
i liken it to looking for a car when i don't need one. in an odd way, it is a huge reinforcer of FIRE. I don't want to and I don't have to. hitting that DELETE button on the email is a daily joy.
i apply for openings that have nothing to do with my former career. but my skill set is very transferable. no nibbles yet, and that is just fine with me.
i do not want to w*rk. however, if inflation keeps eroding my spending power until my deferred FERS retirement kicks in 6 years from now, i may have to do something part-time just for mad money. i also need 2 more non-zero earning years for the soc sec benefit averaging over 35 years. i would also be able to contribute again to my Roth IRA up to the amount i earn. i am not having any problem meeting monthly bills etc. but there is some budget tightness periodcally for discretionary spending when school tax bills are due twice a year.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #20

I went back to work more for something to do than needing the income, although being able to buy some toys and the extra savings that we hadn't planned on is nice. We've been working on FIL's house, spent about $6k so far on that and that's about the limit. We expect to get it back when he sells but one never knows. It wouldn't have happened without the extra income.

By next spring I WILL be riding a brand-new motorcycle! By the spring after that I might have an airplane.

As one guy at work put it: "I'm here 'till I'm not." They're all current/retired police officers and are thus not inclined to put up with much BS.

DW will have her new BA degree in the spring of '09 and plans to look for a part time or low-stress full time job, again just for getting out and discretionary (i.e., mad money) spending.