Any near term FIRE members reconsidering?

Planning to ER in 490 days (but who's counting) I can feel the concern many are feeling. No high income but a steady plodding approach has gotten DW and I in range. My 45% equity allocation isn't in line with many but it got me this far.
I keep telling myself that none of the equities will be sold for at least ten years. Just rebalance a bit but do not sacrifice the cash cushion that will be used for the first few years of ER.

Last edited:
For those of you who are nervous about what's going on and weren't around (or weren't paying attention) for the 'market unpleasantness' in 2008/09, try to visualize what happened today continuing for 18 months - and not stopping until the market takes a 50% haircut. :)

Better buckle up...
+1 :)

When I see the "roller coaster" thread (this one http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/roller-coaster-73991.html) my first thought is - the ride is just beginning, and we're at the part where just the first couple of cars have begun to point down, but the real drop is still ahead.

For those of you who are nervous about what's going on and weren't around (or weren't paying attention) for the 'market unpleasantness' in 2008/09, try to visualize what happened today continuing for 18 months - and not stopping until the market takes a 50% haircut. :)

Better buckle up...

I started in '72 with my summer job money. The nifty fifty didn't work out for quite awhile. That was the last time I sold at a loss. Know your needs and risk tolerance.
That's what got me through all the following downturns without selling at a loss.

+1 :)

When I see the "roller coaster" thread (this one http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/roller-coaster-73991.html) my first thought is - the ride is just beginning, and we're at the part where just the first couple of cars have begun to point down, but the real drop is still ahead.

Here we go! Hang on tight! :D

Most ER Forum members will be just fine. If indeed the real drop is still ahead, those who buy low (or at least don't sell low) will most likely come out of this better off than they went into it, like last time.

On the other hand - - I notice that my portfolio is still a little larger than it was in January and February of this year. I felt like the market was booming at that time. So, remembering this makes me feel a little better about recent market losses.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
What a strange day. The market action looked ugly, yet my portfolio barely moved throughout the day. In fact I have quite a few positions that ended the day with pretty good gains: MMP +7.6%, EPD +5.2%, APD +4.35%, and plenty of other positions in the +2-3% range. Bonds did well too. Net worth is still sitting where it was 6 months ago, and well above the January number. No need to cut out the foie gras just yet.

Within our retirement company's choices of where to allocate our money is a general interest savings account that is grandfathered in to pay a minimum of 3%. I moved some of our money out of the more risky funds and put more in the 3% account last week. But I'm not going to change my retirement plans for next year, not after today. (More stress and issues I'm tired of dealing with.)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom