Any other "Car Guys" planning for FIRE?

That's what I did. But now that I'm on the other side of rebuilding cars, my big shop has been repurposed for other fun stuff, for the most part...I really only need a two car garage and a small workshop now.

Being a city slicker too for the first 50 years of my life, when I bought my acreage out in the country, I bought more than I really needed...:facepalm: I wanted plenty of elbow room and didn't want to see or hear my neighbors... The problem is the more you buy, the more you have to maintain, at least to some degree. (Or so the DW tells me ;)) Which brings me to tractors (since you mentioned Kuboto). When I bought my first tractor, the tractor salesmen told me, "whatever I think I need, buy the next size bigger". (He was right) But being city slicker, I thought he was just trying to make a bigger sale. Well it's wasn't that much more money so I did... Three years later I traded it on another even bigger model... Like cars, you can't have too much horsepower on a tractor either. Oh, and of course get a good FEL with your tractor. I don't move around engines anymore with it but I find it's always needed on the property for something so I just don't take it off. YMMV :)

What other fun stuff are you doing these days?

Sounds like I'll be following into your footsteps with the property and all. Yes a FEL with bolt-on forks and a box blade would be on my must-have list when I go shopping. I'm thinking a 35h 4wd Kubota or equivalent will do. Shooting for 2-5 acres, depending on how wooded/rocky the landscape is.

Funny, I went from driving Porsches, M3s, Ninjas etc to now dreaming about Stihl, Kubotas, CNC and such LOL

Dream car was a Porsche GT3. I pulled the trigger on a red 996 when they fell in price back in November of 2007. Kept that for about 7 years. Did some track days with it, daily drove it and sold it for about what I paid for it.

I did a ton of track days. Started with the Audi Club and ended up as an instructor, that was a ton of fun. Did a ton of mods to my Audi A4 including Penske suspension, upgraded turbos, roll bars, race seats, harnesses, etc. and took it to NASA time trials and ran that a couple of seasons. Unfortunately, I blew that motor twice at the CA Speedway Roval.

For the last ten years or so I worked in the industry with Brembo. Most of that time I worked from home which eased me into retirement last year.

At age 66 I'm happy in my Focus RS. It flies under the radar and is a total blast to drive.

After I sold the Audi and the GT3 I also sold off the lift that was in the garage and most of my specialized tools. Not sure if I still have the urge to do track days, but still love to drive. So I don't plan on spending much on track days or car related expenses post FIRE. However, if you know of a nice GT4 available at a reasonable price...

Very cool! We must have crossed paths, I did some instructing for some smaller outfits. Raced with NASA. GT4s are awesome, I recently had the non-GT4 (just an S) model and it's still a lot of car especially on the streets, I'm a long time mid-engine guy :)

Being a city slicker too for the first 50 years of my life, when I bought my acreage out in the country, I bought more than I really needed...:facepalm: I wanted plenty of elbow room and didn't want to see or hear my neighbors... The problem is the more you buy, the more you have to maintain, at least to some degree. (Or so the DW tells me ;)) Which brings me to tractors (since you mentioned Kuboto). When I bought my first tractor, the tractor salesmen told me, "whatever I think I need, buy the next size bigger". (He was right) But being city slicker, I thought he was just trying to make a bigger sale. Well it's wasn't that much more money so I did... Three years later I traded it on another even bigger model... Like cars, you can't have too much horsepower on a tractor either. Oh, and of course get a good FEL with your tractor. I don't move around engines anymore with it but I find it's always needed on the property for something so I just don't take it off. YMMV :)

I can relate. DW is retiring in May and we are moving full time to the second home, and old farm with lots of land/woods to manage. I have been pining for nice Kubota. Will rent on in the spring and move the pile of loam that I had delivered last fall, and scrape down the barn floor. I have rented bucket loader/backhoes before, amazing how much work you can get done.

That being said, I have recently run some now models in the retirement planner and, for us, we can beat the crap out of the portfolio in the early years and still "finish" will wide margins/balances. So I am leaning toward eventually buying one. I know they are not cheap, but they also hold value well if used gently. Car-Guy, what tractor do you have? Maybe should start a "Tractor" thread.....LOL

The timing of this topic could not be better. I have worked my wife since we got married, that when I retired, I was going to have a car that was strictly a toy. I am in the process of building a 3 car garage at our retirement home now.
My struggle now is what togetherness as a toy? I have a 2012 BMW M3 that I had been driving on a regular basis. This was the last non-turbo V8 that BMW made. I love driving the car, but part of me wants something older that is less complicated. But I know I will miss it I I see it. (My son and I also have a slightly older, highly modified BMW that has so much power, I don't enjoy driving it that much.).

I am not doing anything until the garage is finished. And I could have worse problems hen trying to decide what toy to keep.

I used to be a car guy; then I became a motorcycle guy. Planning to retire later this year, and narrowing my choices of 'dream motorcycle' to add to the garage. I also have some car build/restore ideas (I regret deeply having sold a vintage Mustang, and hope some day to buy it back from the friend I sold it to), and I like the C8 Corvette a lot. Looking forward to having garage time.

We bought a '67 Corvette shortly after getting married in 1972, sold it when the kids arrived, then got back into them just before my mandatory retirement in 2005. We are in a local club that does autocrossing, local touring, and long road trips. I enjoy an occasional run on a high speed track.

We are on our third "last Corvette" and still enjoying them, as much for the people as for the cars. If you don't go crazy on the model and options, a new Corvette costs about the same as a nice pickup truck and burns less gas. And Corvettes aren't the only good fun cars out there.

We split our "fun money" between domestic trips in the 'vette and overseas trips on the airline. Life is good. (except for Covid).

I've got a '79 El Camino and DW has a '77 MGB. We can only drive them 4-5 months out of the year but we take them out when we can. I say "we" but DW can't drive her MGB yet as she hasn't mastered the 4-speed yet. But she likes riding it it with the top down. :cool:

My username probably gives away my main automotive interest.
I have owned VW Karmann Ghia’s since my first 67 coupe i bought in 1975 for my school transportation.
I’ve always had at least one.
Love the simplicity and the artistic craftsmanship that is no longer available with today’s mass production.
Coincidentally, I retired after 22 years in auto manufacturing. I guess oil runs in my veins.
I currently have a slightly modified 1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe that share the garage with a bone stock 1967 Ghia Cabriolet.
I really don’t track car hobby expenses. Most of the restoration costs for the coupe were done while I was still working. The cabriolet was a “blow that dough 2021” purchase. It was turn-key.
I do all the maintenance. Costs to travel to shows and related expenses aren’t enough to really need to budget.

Great thread:cool:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2211801.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your financial success! I drove my mid year 911SC almost every Friday to work for 25 years until my retirement in 2013. My other cars then were a Lotus Europa and a 996 40th AE. Post retirement I did spend more time with car clubs, short distance car shows, and trips to Monterey car week etc. My budget for the cars also increased substantially. From fixing, modify, and adding more vehicles. I have a reversed garage and a long driveway so in the past 8 years, I’ve added a 64 corvette, an e39M5, and a 100 series Land Cruiser. I’ve enjoyed them very much with the M5 being my main touring vehicle and daily LC. All of them are special in their own way while the older cars were not driven as much other than car and coffee. During the Pandemic I realized maintaining the small collection is expensive when a vehicle when car just sits it deteriorates quickly. I’ve since sold the Lotus and likely both 911s as well to exchange for a modern 718T … less is more. I definitely realize that being a car enthusiast during your retirement is a positive thing, you got to look forward to different projects on your cars and research on your next one etc. a friend in N. Cal also a car guy, we recently found a 356 in his neighborhood sat since 1986. So that’s a couple years project for him, he also race a Dodge in the Lemon race and I sometimes assist.
You have the passion and a nice budget, often time it’s not the car but the modifications, making it your own outlaw spec. If you track your car then it’s a while different world. I ordered a new Bronco in 2020 and it will be built this spring so I hope the Bronco will add to the stable but sadly may have to let the LC go. I’m fortunate and credit my dear wife to allow me on all this, cars are poor investment but all my vehicles worth consider more than when I purchase them. Including my new Bronco, selling by many thousands over MSRP. Enjoy your retirement and drop us line on your super cars adventure. These are strange time and life is short,.

Ps: since you’re a Porsche guy, not sure you’re aware of this site Bring a Trailer. I sold my Lotus there with good experience, last week this CGT sold at highest price for BaT. They only charge 5% fee up to $100K so very popular these days. The comments are like a forum where you’ll learn a lot and connection to others.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-porsche-carrera-gt-3/

I've been a "car guy" since I bought my Datsun 240Z new in 1973, after returning from an 11 month Vietnam deployment with my A6 Intruder squadron aboard the USS Kitty Hawk.

The 240Z was THE sports car of the early 70s, with a price competitive to British sports cars like the MGs, Triumphs, etc, but a far superior car with a 6 cylinder OHC engine, 4 wheel independent suspension, reliable and durable. It was equal in performance to the Porche 911, but at half the cost, and dominated C Production Class racing for 10 straight years.

That car was my daily driver, long distance moving/vacation cruiser, and even "company car" for 188,000 miles until 1988, when I put it away "awaiting restoration". In 2018 I finally decided I was not going to restore it myself, having realized I did not want to get upside down under a dash anymore... :LOL:

I then found a great fellow who was restoring 240Zs in his garage for bargain labor costs, and in 2019 had my Z back from the dead.

Photos are from 1973; the 2019 ZCON convention with the lead designer of the 240Z, Yoshihiko Matsuo inspecting; and the 2019 Japanese Classic Car Show in Long Beach. Now having great fun with the local Z car club on fun runs and shows. (the fun runs are in my "new" 1993 Nissan 300ZX. For now the 240Z only drives locally to shows within 100 miles of home)

Car shows are really great fun, with so many folks saying "I had one of those. Wish I had never sold it."

42152-albums287-picture2514.jpg

42152-albums287-picture2516.jpg

42152-albums287-picture2517.jpg

AF1QipPwwcHOfLYrhmeeystwIq0Mopu_nw34YP6Ffnbu
AF1QipN0dqLt276vSg4K0o_L-wqRckjr4dLS9xEf4DyQ
AF1QipMaXAx2-tzii8Q2LUdNKTyziwXRykZhnnVSrKLV

Last edited:
What other fun stuff are you doing these days?

Sounds like I'll be following into your footsteps with the property and all. Yes a FEL with bolt-on forks and a box blade would be on my must-have list when I go shopping. I'm thinking a 35h 4wd Kubota or equivalent will do. Shooting for 2-5 acres, depending on how wooded/rocky the landscape is.
The fun stuff in the repurposed shop has been divided by walls into three areas (1) an indoor shooting range (2) game room/man cave (3) traditional 2 car garage and much smaller workshop.

Regarding your tractor plans, IMO, a 35hp Kubota is more than enough tractor for general use on 5 acres. (Unless you plan to plow, then you need a lot more) I think that was the size of my first one. 4wd is important too since tractors do get stuck, even with 4wd. (Ask me how I know) With that size tractor your FEL should be rated to lift about 1200 lbs (+ or -) which can come in handy around a shop as well as in the field.

So I am leaning toward eventually buying one. I know they are not cheap, but they also hold value well if used gently. Car-Guy, what tractor do you have? Maybe should start a "Tractor" thread.....LOL
A tractor thread would be fun but there are already a couple of excellent tractor forums out on the net. Personally I like https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ It's a very active forum with a lot of helpful folks that are willing to talk/share info about tractors, their attachments, etc. Warning, some of the guys on that forum can be almost fanatical about their tractors.

Personally I've had 3 diesel tractors in the past 15 years ranging from ~35 to ~75 HP... (Long story why I had 3) Finally settled on a Kubota 4400 which works well for me and what I want to maintain. I also have a small John Deere riding mower (can't really call that a tractor) for areas around the house and other structures.

And yes they do hold their value well and are really tough machines that only require a little simple maintenance from time to time. "So far" I have been able to fix anything that has broken on mine.

Last edited:
Porsche

Had a 1969 Alfa Romeo for years. Back when having an Italian GTV sports car with sodium filled valves, dual overhead cams, and a five-speed gear box was pretty cool. There were only about 600 of these imported in '69 and none in 1970. Lived in San Francisco and choose it over a Ferrari Daytona which was a lot more expensive but would be worth a fortune today.

I have a BMW X5 for around town and just bought a Porsche Cayenne. Loving this model of Porsche. Elegant and fast. High quality and corners like on rails.

My current ride. This was some guy I didn't meet and he posted the video on youtube.

Last edited:
Love the Karmann Ghias and the 240Z!

Had a KG coupe, lusted after Z cars in my early 20’s, but never took the plunge. Have sworn off anything with a carb and points, so I all have is memories and unrequited lust[emoji846]

Will look at the new Z next year, but not optimistic it will fit with my life anymore.

Ok, since someone started posting pics. Note the vanity plate on the Benz, it's not *really* mine...... (awarded to her for surviving 20 years of marriage to me.... that was 12 years ago...)

Attachments

• 20210609_171850.jpg
    20210609_171850.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200731_153943.jpg
    20200731_153943.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • P4040078.jpg
    P4040078.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 18
Had a 1969 Alfa Romeo for years. Back when having an Italian GTV sports car with sodium filled valves, dual overhead cams, and a five-speed gear box was pretty cool. There were only about 600 of these imported in '69 and none in 1970. Lived in San Francisco and choose it over a Ferrari Daytona which was a lot more expensive but would be worth a fortune today.

I have a BMW X5 for around town and just bought a Porsche Cayenne. Loving this model of Porsche. Elegant and fast. High quality and corners like on rails.

@boont Which model Cayenne? base, S, GTS or Turbo? The Cayenne is on my next-up list in a couple of years. Reading rennlist the 9Y0 seems to be a reliable platform.

I am in the process of building new shop. I have several collector cars, a Motorhome, two Kubota tractors, a Bobcat skid loader, ATV’s etc. etc. Besides building the perfect shop I am building a new house as well. My cars and other equipment is what I plan to “do” in retirement.

Attachments

• 36B04DEF-FF98-4281-8582-5DE6779EC144.jpg
    36B04DEF-FF98-4281-8582-5DE6779EC144.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 9C36D810-BFF0-4377-8546-1428E861D219.jpg
    9C36D810-BFF0-4377-8546-1428E861D219.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 20
Lola’s Plates

Ok, since this is a FIRE forum and this is a Car Guy thread, I thought you’d get a good chuckle from my vanity plates on my 2009 Corvette. My granddaughters call her Lola.
Cheers,
Eaglekeeper

Attachments

• 415094F9-32A4-448E-AA4C-9F17C4621660.jpeg
    415094F9-32A4-448E-AA4C-9F17C4621660.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 25
We’re a vintage and exotic and race car family.. (One of us is in the auto industry. )

Always looking for the next one and always something being worked on. Have checked most of the major boxes a few times — Porsche, Ferrari, Lotus etc plus the quirky rarer finds. Some have been longer buy and hold to enjoy cars. Others have been projects or temporary fun.

Cars always paid for in cash. I don’t see anything changing until the real slow-go or no-go years when we get pretty old.

Bought this 2001 corvette new. Had it until June 2021. Kept it stock. Traded it for the Jeep. Wanted something to drive year round and to off road places. Mods to begin at some point.

I want a second Jeep. An old one. I have my sights on a vintage one down the street but the owner is not selling.

Attachments

• corvette at wall b&W.jpg
    corvette at wall b&W.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 23
  • jeep-2.jpg
    jeep-2.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 21
Ok, since this is a FIRE forum and this is a Car Guy thread, I thought you’d get a good chuckle from my vanity plates on my 2009 Corvette. My granddaughters call her Lola.
Cheers,
Eaglekeeper
Very cool.... I had a C6 too, except mine was in Cyber Gray. I think that was my first Vette with paddle shifters... Now every vehicle (well a lot) seems to have them.

Last edited:
I am in the process of building new shop. I have several collector cars, a Motorhome, two Kubota tractors, a Bobcat skid loader, ATV’s etc. etc. Besides building the perfect shop I am building a new house as well. My cars and other equipment is what I plan to “do” in retirement.
Holy Cow! what are the dimensions of that building?

My username probably gives away my main automotive interest.
I have owned VW Karmann Ghia’s since my first 67 coupe i bought in 1975 for my school transportation.
I’ve always had at least one.
Love the simplicity and the artistic craftsmanship that is no longer available with today’s mass production.
Coincidentally, I retired after 22 years in auto manufacturing. I guess oil runs in my veins.
I currently have a slightly modified 1967 Karmann Ghia Coupe that share the garage with a bone stock 1967 Ghia Cabriolet.
I really don’t track car hobby expenses. Most of the restoration costs for the coupe were done while I was still working. The cabriolet was a “blow that dough 2021” purchase. It was turn-key.
I do all the maintenance. Costs to travel to shows and related expenses aren’t enough to really need to budget.

Great thread:cool:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2211801.jpg

Those are beautiful and I'm not even a gar guy or VW guy but I do appreciate them.

Cheers,
Eaglekeeper
Funny. Our good friends have a C7 Grand Sport convertible with the plate “OUR401K”.

The most exotic car we’ve ever owned was a 2001 Audi TT 225, not very exotic but it was a fun car…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom