Join Early Retirement Today

Any Reason for Short-Term Bonds Through Treasury Direct?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any Reason for Short-Term Bonds Through Treasury Direct?

As I've said before, bonds totally elude me. So I took it pretty much on faith when I was advised to keep a stash of 13-week T-bills in an account with Treasury Direct. Well, for the entire time I've had these things, they've been rolling over at somewhere between 3 and 4 percent--basically a negative return. And, unlike my short-term bond fund, I get no increase in NAV to offset what seems to be a perpetual decline in yield.

Is there any good reason to hold individual short-term bonds?

On a side note, could anyone help me to understand why are rates on short-term treasuries are remaining so low? I would think that the specter of additional rate cuts (and the resulting expectation of rising inflation), combined with the threat of international diversification of currency reserves, would be putting an upward pressure on short-term treasury yields. Has the "flight to safety" been so strong that it has overcome these factors?

Thanks in advance for your insights!
emilylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

You're buying bills, not bonds, of course you won't see any NAV increase - that's the point! If you want some capital gain or loss action buy bonds. If you had bought a 30 year bond last summer at 5%, you would now be enjoying about 2.5% in interest, and 10-12% capital gains for say 14% total gain, 30% gain annualized. Naturally there's higher risk.

Otherwise, why would rate cuts cause treasury yields to go up? Quite the opposite. Besides recessions are deflationary events, and that's quickly becoming the consensus.

As for giving you a negative return, cash outperformed the S&P last year, and bonds significantly beat them (8% for medium term and 15%ish for longer term). It all depends on how you look at it...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The reason treasury yields went DOWN is because of the flight to quality (i.e. treasuries) when the news of some fixed_income funds holding subprime assets surfaced. More folks wanted the safety of treasuries, so they bid up the NAV and the yields went down. If you graph these two bond funds over the last year VFSTX and FUSFX, can tell me which fund has exposure to subpriime?

Something similar happened with TIPS. The spector of higher inflation and performance chasing caused TIPS to have total return of about 11-13% of the last year. I can't see that happening in the next year.

So corporate and long term bonds have been left in the dust in 2007.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote