Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Can you imagine how excruciatingly boring that would be, after the novelty wore off? Living such a stereotypical "lifestyles of the rich and famous" life, would be such torture.

No more choices, no more free time, no more privacy. Always running from one place/house/country to another. Ugh. Well, each to his/her own, but that type of life is not something I would crave.
What about the Queen? What could be more mind numbingly boring than being forced to attend decades of rigidly structured ceremonies where you can't skip them or leave early.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
How much net worth is considered Fat F.I.R.E?

These definitions are always difficult to nail as $5M in San Fran or NYC is not what it is elsewhere.

For traditional FIRE (wealth accumulated by working), I consider fat FIRE to be <2% withdrawal rate where with a reasonable budget + some discretionary there should be no concern of outliving your means.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
What about the Queen? What could be more mind numbingly boring than being forced to attend decades of rigidly structured ceremonies where you can't skip them or leave early.
Exactly!
Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've known a couple of people who are probably worth tens of millions. None are interested in retirement in these sense of no longer w*rking for pay. A few are professionals that moved up to "partner" level while carefully controlling spending. One guy founded a sevice-industry chain that grew big locally over decades.

A few couples lived very normal lives, but with some very nice houses and typical middle-uppper middle class cars. One liked bling, but no jet setting.

None were especially generous when eating out, although they tipped solidly, but not outrageously (no $2K tips). So very comfortable, but nothing reality TV worthy.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you don't have to share a private jet with other people, especially not smelly ones. That's why it's private.
But what would I know? The closest I will ever come is business class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
For us normal folks, it would be like giving up the car and taking a bus all the time.. a transport device full of other people who smell, talk, invade your space... etc. . Horrible
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

We read in the press all the time about actors and actresses who have perhaps $100M and live like they are billionaires. And then, they wonder how they get into bankruptcy.

Not casting shade at any particular celebrity, but I hear the good drugs can be really expensive.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think you don't have to share a private jet with other people, especially not smelly ones. That's why it's private.
But what would I know? The closest I will ever come is business class.
Yes, I was trying to say giving up the jet and taking commercial planes is like giving up the car and taking the bus.

A bus all the time.. a transport device full of other people who smell, talk, invade your space... etc. . Horrible
Old 11-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

We could be in this group if my wife and I continue to work and save to our 80s and the market does like it did.

We will certainly not do that.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yup. That much dough and I'll hire a personal assistant to arrange my stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The difference in the quality of "staff" whom you and I could afford to hire, and the actual professional house staff that a billionaire can get, is night and day.

Professionals can handle just about anything that might come up without troubling you in the slightest, as long as you pay the resulting invoices. So, the billionaire just shows up in her personal helicopter at whatever house, whenever it's convenient, and everything is ready and waiting, just as if she lived there all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
As others mention, true UHNWI would just hire rafts of people to take care of all of this.

Your houses? Continuously staffed and taken care of. Your plane? Taken care of. Pilot? On staff. Vacations? Talk to your 24/7 personal assistant, who will check details with you. Language? You got a human translator for that.

And let's not forget all the security guards you'll need.

Worried about staff stealing stuff? Doesn't matter. You won't miss that crystal bowl.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #110
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes, I was trying to say giving up the jet and taking commercial planes is like giving up the car and taking the bus.

A bus all the time.. a transport device full of other people who smell, talk, invade your space... etc. . Horrible
I spent years riding the train and subway every day. After a while, it's easy to tune out all the other people. I suppose being a submariner was also helpful in defining my idea of personal space. The relatively few times I have flown privately, the thing that I valued the most was the convenience. Just drive around to the General Aviation side of the airport, park, walk from the car to the plane and get going. No lines, no searches, no waiting for the flight to board. The fact that hoi polloi were not in the plane with me was nice, but not crucial.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The relatively few times I have flown privately, the thing that I valued the most was the convenience. Just drive around to the General Aviation side of the airport, park, walk from the car to the plane and get going. No lines, no searches, no waiting for the flight to board. The fact that hoi polloi were not in the plane with me was nice, but not crucial.
Woah! Gumby, you are celebrity! You flew privately at least once. That puts you in some might rarefied air.

I presume it was some corporate thing?

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I spent years riding the train and subway every day. After a while, it's easy to tune out all the other people.
I think most people would be very surprised at how easy it is.

Through four years of college I commuted during the rush hours, morning and evening. Three different subway trains and one bus in each direction for a total of between three and four hours a day. Not only did I get much of my homework done during the commute, I often got a nice nap in as well, despite everything being full to overflowing with other commuters.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Woah! Gumby, you are celebrity! You flew privately at least once. That puts you in some might rarefied air.

Not Gumby, but I also flew privately a few times on my company's jet. It was primarily for executives, but if there were seats available they would rather let some low-level manager like me take up a seat for free rather than pay $400 for me to fly commercial.

It is really nice. The things I liked were avoiding TSA and most importantly, within reason the plane waited for you. They had a list and when everyone was there, we just took off. If you were five or ten minutes late showing up, no worries.

Oh, and the pilots were super friendly and there was a stash of candy and newspapers available which was kind of fun.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:12 PM   #114
Administrator

Quote:

8-10 times on business, only twice for pleasure.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #115

If I had that level of money (I never will), I would most likely buy a NetJets subscription, where you just buy hours of private plane time. Even Warren Buffett does it that way (although I believe he owns part of the company).
Old 11-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean56 View Post
I had to Google "Two Buck Chuck", never heard of that before.

You have not been around much, have you?

That's only in California, I think. Elsewhere, like where I live, it's $2.99 a bottle, or a "Three Buck Chuck".

I have not been to TJ's recently, else would have picked up a few bottles.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
just for kick, here how billionaires live:
I sure wouldn't fit in that crowd. I would be much happier out getting my hands dirty at the ranch. Lol
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Hey, I flew in private jets a half dozen times, when I was finishing up my BSEE at Texas A&M. Companies would fly three or four of us to their plants in other states, for a "plant trip" where we toured the plant and were interviewed for a job opening.

It was interesting to fly in a private jet, but in my case really I was just another senior that had made the final cut and so not a celebrity at all, or anything special.

Seeing the massive projects they were developing was more fun than the private jet.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #119

In my experience, flying in noncommercial jets is not always as much fun as you might think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-17.jpg (512.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-19-2020, 04:00 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ Looks like plenty of headroom.... Bet you could get out quick too...