Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any Ultra High Net Worth Individual (UHNWI) here? What do you do?
Old 11-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any Ultra High Net Worth Individual (UHNWI) here? What do you do?

What Is an Ultra-High Net-Worth Individual (UHNWI)? Ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNWI) are people with investable assets of at least $30 million. They comprise the wealthiest people in the world and control a tremendous amount of global wealth.

Any Ultra High Net Worth Individual (UHNWI) here? Amazing job!

1. What do you do for fun?
2. How you get to where you are?
3. What are you doing to stay wealthy?
4. What is your splurge?
5. Do you own a jet? a yacht?
6. Do you have houses in different countries?

I am trying to visualize how UHNWI really lives? Thanks.
HawaiiShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post

4. What is your splurge?

I think you are going to have to define what an Ultra High Net Worth Individual is before anyone could respond to this. People have widely different perceptions of what makes someone wealthy.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

4. What is your splurge?

I have the vision, does that count or help?
Old 11-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Ha!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Not me. I live in a tract house.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I think you are going to have to define what an Ultra High Net Worth Individual is before anyone could respond to this. People have widely different perceptions of what makes someone wealthy.
Wikipedia says:
Quote:
Ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNWI) are defined as having a net worth of at least US$30 million in constant 2018 dollars
Old 11-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Please name a $#. Toe-tapping.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #8

In the industry I worked in for many years my clients net worth ranged anywhere from $100 million to several billion dollars. There was not one client at our company who “needed” to work to earn an income. And yet my experience with these folks was that they were some of the hardest working people I’ve ever known. They were running large companies, building new companies, investing in new markets, and competing aggressively for business against other high net worth individuals. They were completely driven by success and had no interest at all in retiring and living a “life of leisure”.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Ultra High Net Worth Individual as someone who owns a jet or a yacht?

You are talking about someone who has several hundred million, just to own a jet, let alone a yacht. A mere centimillionaire can not afford a yacht, as it would consume most of his $100M already, leaving him with no money for maintenance, staffing, and fuel.

Someone with $100M can afford a jet timeshare, or rent a yacht or a week or two. I think he would be too busy enjoying himself to post here.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #10

I split wood, butchered a deer and made a pot of home made ham & bean soup today. I had a sip of Seagrams before a slice of meatloaf & garden vegetables, homemade bread then watched a rerun of Dances with Wolves on DVD next to a roaring fire in the wood stove.

Now, what is a UHNWI ? If I can't do what I did today I don't want to be one.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes for fun I take our jet to our winery in southern France to check on things but mostly I stay on our island.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #12

You'll find we have a mix here, from those just starting out in their careers on a path to ER many years in the future, to those sharing decades of experiences after retiring.

A vast majority of those already retired are in the low-mid 7 figure NW category, based on what's shared. Some are FIRE'd on a leaner NW but quite comfortably, or have pensions, etc. Then there are some folks who identify with FAT Fire, generally in the 10M+ club.

However, I personally think the $50M+ club isn't retired. They become VC's or something else. The type of personality to drive that sort of income, not stop at $5m, or $10M, or the 3rd home, generally isn't the type that's going to be happy without the trappings of titles, status and power. ymmv.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yup, they don't post here.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You'll find we have a mix here, from those just starting out in their careers on a path to ER many years in the future, to those sharing decades of experiences after retiring.

A vast majority of those already retired are in the low-mid 7 figure NW category, based on what's shared. Some are FIRE'd on a leaner NW but quite comfortably, or have pensions, etc. Then there are some folks who identify with FAT Fire, generally in the 10M+ club.

However, I personally think the $50M+ club isn't retired. They become VC's or something else. The type of personality to drive that sort of income, not stop at $5m, or $10M, or the 3rd home, generally isn't the type that's going to be happy without the trappings of titles, status and power. ymmv.
Personally, I only know 1 UHNWI so far. NW should be $50M or above. He's an owner of a very successful escrow company in CA. His company is pretty much taken care by his staffs, so he has time to come out and shoot long rifles with me whenever he can. He got 2 houses, both fancy big homes. Drive a corvette and own 2 mercedes, that's it. As you said, he's also NOT retired yet. He doesn't have to, I suppose. "It's just not a lot of work anymore."

I guess lots of UHNWI are small business owners.
HawaiiShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Sometimes for fun I take our jet to our winery in southern France to check on things but mostly I stay on our island.
You have an island? Well, I feel sorry for you......WE have our own country. And we go to it on our 747 (with a few friends,of course)!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You have an island? Well, I feel sorry for you......WE have our own country. And we go to it on our 747 (with a few friends,of course)!
Hey - did you buy that cool Led Zeppelin 747?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A mere centimillionaire can not afford a yacht, as it would consume most of his $100M already, leaving him with no money for maintenance, staffing, and fuel.
I know nothing about the rich life but I find that hard to believe.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hey - did you buy that cool Led Zeppelin 747?
No, I leased that one to them and had Boeing build me one to my specifications. (LOL)

Fermion needs to step up his game with only a jet!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post

If you have a landing strip for your jet right inside the winery, you are doing well. I presume that the island has a landing strip also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

I dunno. Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi used to say they had their own countries.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Personally, I only know 1 UHNWI so far. NW should be $50M or above. He's an owner of a very successful escrow company in CA. His company is pretty much taken care by his staffs, so he has time to come out and shoot long rifles with me whenever he can. He got 2 houses, both fancy big homes. Drive a corvette and own 2 mercedes, that's it. As you said, he's also NOT retired yet. He doesn't have to, I suppose. "It's just not a lot of work anymore."

I guess lots of UHNWI are small business owners.

Not sure a “small business” yields $50M of net worth.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote