Join Early Retirement Today

anybody leaving a trust/foundation behind?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

anybody leaving a trust/foundation behind?

Hi folks.

I sometimes view my possible financial situation in retirement as levels, such as this:
  1. savings run out before death
  2. savings last until death, but not much left over
  3. at death there is a tidy sum (ie. $500K - $2M) left over that could make life easier for your heirs
  4. at death this is a large amount left; more than heirs would need

Running firecalc provides a wide range of outcomes, number 4 being a distinct possibility. My wife an I are not the kind of people that will live extravagantly in retirement, regardless of how much money we have. We just aren't the yacht and $3M house type of people.

If we're fortunate enough to reach number 4, I dream of leaving a trust/foundation behind that could be self-perpetuating that does good deeds, such as donating to causes that we care about.

Anybody else have such fantasies? Has anybody here taken steps to make such a dream a reality?

Thanks.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do (day)-dream about it. In the 90's, with the market going wild, I dreamed more often. But you are right, we focus on the low running lines and failures in FIRECALC to prepare for the worst, but there are very many lines reaching to what seems like the stratosphere.

I guess if it looks likely when I get older, I might just put something in my will to split by %, with some minimum amount to heirs, and any 'excess' going towards increased amounts to charities. That could be set up as a foundation, if maybe it exceeded some base amount to make that worthwhile (I think there are some tax reporting and admin costs).

I'm not there yet (or maybe that should be )

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You have a lot of choices and opportunities to do what you would like to do.

It sounds like you need to do some estate planning either now or in the future. You can set up trusts for family members, charities, or just about anyone else. You also have to consider the enjoyment you would receive by giving while you are still here. And, you have to look at the tax consequenses of whatever you put together.

I have trusts for my kids, a trust for my wife if I pass away 1st, a trust for a friends special needs child, and am looking at a lifetime annuity with the remainder going to a charity after my death. I haven't spent a lot but I have spent a few thousand putting everything together.

If you have a favority charity or University that might be a good place to gain basic information. Every major University or charity will have an individual to meet with someone like yourself. Or, if you don't mind spending a few bucks, a CPA or estate planner might be the way to go.

It appears that your heart wants to do some good for someone with part of your wealth......that's really nice. I wish I could be more helpful but you have so many options I can't really be more specific with the info you provided. Good Luck!

finally, maybe some one can suggest a good book that would be helpful or you could spend an hour or two at Barnes and Noble and I'm sure you would find one.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have thought about it.... I would want to leave a trust that would provide scholarships to students that attended my university... since my DW just got her Master degree from the same university, we could add two degree paths to it...

But, at this time we are not even at the level where we can retire.... so it will remain a dream for now.... I am not willing to put a lot of effort into it unless I see the assets starting to spike and it looks like #4 can be a reality....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

I have no wife or kids, and am not sure whether I will want to leave much or anything to a partner or family. There is no one significantly younger than me to execute my estate, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. One option is to leave the residue of my estate to charity, but the sticky problem of who can execute it remains. I'm wondering if a charity would do this, if they will be the ones benefiting - or the main beneficiaries?

This is not really a question to other forum members; I am merely thinking aloud, as I have not begun to research this yet.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think what would typically happen is that unless you appoint an executor in your will, the probate court would appoint and executor to wind down your financial affairs and distribute the estate consistent with the provisions of your will. The executor would be compensated for their services.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've been thinking about it. No kids. No nieces or nephews on DW's side of the family. Only one on my side, but I think she'll get enough as it is from her grandparents. And a very good chance of leaving a substantial estate.

I have already funded a donor-advised charitable fund with Fidelity. So perhaps, I can simply make the fund our primary beneficiary and appoint a successor advisor to help disburse the money. I like the fact that Fidelity thoroughly vets each proposed donation, which should eliminate any risk of misappropriation by the successor advisor.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I have already funded a donor-advised charitable fund with Fidelity. So perhaps, I can simply make the fund our primary beneficiary and appoint a successor advisor to help disburse the money. I like the fact that Fidelity thoroughly vets each proposed donation, which should eliminate any risk of misappropriation by the successor advisor.
It is posts like this that illustrate why continuing to come here is a particularly valuable exercise for me. My entire portfolio is with Vanguard and thanks to your post, I just discovered that they have a company that is closely allied with them called Vanguard Charitable, for the same purposes.

Much to think about. Thank you FIREed.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Several years ago I set up a donor advised fund with my financial institution. I developed a mission statement and funding guidelines and appointed an advisory board of three (consenting) friends and relatives who have the requisite skills and are likely to outlive me. To date I have not put any money into the fund, but when I reach the age at which RMDs will dramatically increase my tax liability, I plan to make some tax deductible donations to the fund, at minimal net cost to me. My will leaves my estate to the fund, with my financial institution as the executor. Yes, they will get paid to execute the administer the fund, but that's OK. The fund should be able to operate in perpetuity if it starts with substantial assets.

Or, I could just spend it all!

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #10

If something strange happened that put me into this happy situation, I think I'd rather give most of it away while I was alive. I don't have any desire to leave some sort of "perpetual" fund.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It is posts like this that illustrate why continuing to come here is a particularly valuable exercise for me. My entire portfolio is with Vanguard and thanks to your post, I just discovered that they have a company that is closely allied with them called Vanguard Charitable, for the same purposes.

Much to think about. Thank you FIREed.
We started funding a VG DFA in 2007 and added to it in 2010; both were years when we had a spike in income and could take a substantial deduction using appreciated shares.

Our tax rate is down now. It will start to go up again in 5 years when pension starts and then red-line at 70.5 with RMD and SS.

I figure by the time we are 70 we will have a clearer view of our needs and at that time, we will start adding substantially to the DFA.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
we focus on the low running lines and failures in FIRECALC to prepare for the worst, but there are very many lines reaching to what seems like the stratosphere.
Don't forget that if we get lucky and follow the upper trending lines that folks who retired in our timeframe and with similar WR's and AA's will also be doing that. Lots of geezers will have lots of money (as compared to folks with similar timeframes, WR's and AA's all following the lines trending down). Imagine, some significant percentage of geezers all having done very, very well financially in their retirement.

Somehow, I don't see that coming......... But, who knows? I'm sure I'll be able to figure out what to do if that time comes.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Somehow, I don't see that coming......... But, who knows? I'm sure I'll be able to figure out what to do if that time comes.

I'm afraid I'll be too old to know what to do with it. But then again, every once in awhile you see a story in the paper where some old geezer seems to have figured it out. I guess you go from investing in gold miners to gold diggers.

-ERD50
Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Call me selfish, but I want to die without a dime
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
Call me selfish, but I want to die without a dime
Gotta plan for that?

-ERD50
How to die broke V 1.0
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

How to die broke V 1.0

If and when you develop a terminal illness, use all remaining funds to splurge to your heart's content. When the balance in the portfolio is approaching zero, take out a loan. Use the loan to fly to that famous tall bridge in New Zealand. sign up for bungee jumping and unhook the parachute before you leap off the bridge. Make sure to leave a suicide note so the operator will not get in trouble.

This should work well unless you are afraid of heights (which I am). Any other suggestions?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Gotta plan for that?

-ERD50

That's the problem...I'm not sure when I will die
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #18

DW and I are in the #4 category and will leave a significant estate to our kids in the form of living trusts. Our challenge is to figure out when and how to give them our estate without robbing them of their motivation to work and ruining their lives.

We don't plan on giving any money to charity. While I support charitable giving in general, I'd rather leave my money to my kids than anyone else.
luckydude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydude View Post
DW and I are in the #4 category and will leave a significant estate to our kids in the form of living trusts. Our challenge is to figure out when and how to give them our estate without robbing them of their motivation to work and ruining their lives.

We don't plan on giving any money to charity. While I support charitable giving in general, I'd rather leave my money to my kids than anyone else.
I set up trusts for my kids last year with the same objective. The trusts are substantial and they can take 1/2 of the growth in a good year or 1.5% of the trust while in their 40's. They can take 2% or 1/2 the gain in their 50's and 3% after they turn 58. The money will go to their kids upon their death. The goal is to enhance life but not rob them of their motivation. Vanguard manages them with rates starting at 70 basis points and going down to 20 if the trusts are in the 7 figures. They are age based conservative portfolios, currently 60% stock, 40% bonds.

Upon my death......many years from now I hope, the trusts will grow substantially. Vanguard approved and assisted in writing the trusts and I have a great lawyer and CPA that reviewed them. Hope this helps.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
I set up trusts for my kids last year with the same objective. The trusts are substantial and they can take 1/2 of the growth in a good year or 1.5% of the trust while in their 40's. They can take 2% or 1/2 the gain in their 50's and 3% after they turn 58. The money will go to their kids upon their death. The goal is to enhance life but not rob them of their motivation. Vanguard manages them with rates starting at 70 basis points and going down to 20 if the trusts are in the 7 figures. They are age based conservative portfolios, currently 60% stock, 40% bonds.

Upon my death......many years from now I hope, the trusts will grow substantially. Vanguard approved and assisted in writing the trusts and I have a great lawyer and CPA that reviewed them. Hope this helps.
Thanks Jerome. I didn't know that Vanguard provides trust administration and management services. I will look into it.

I was planning on giving my kids a lump sum distribution once the youngest turns 45, but I like your annual distribution idea better.
luckydude is online now   Reply With Quote