Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we haven't ruled that out either. We plan to make that decision for once and for all in the next few years, so that another move will not be needed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, we haven't ruled that out either. We plan to make that decision for once and for all in the next few years, so that another move will not be needed.

Well the good thing is if you move to the ozarks instead, W2R, you will not have to withdraw more money on that decision. Unless you change your mind and want to buy a mansion, I imagine your price point will be the same or less up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like you are looking at all the angles. Moves are tough (I think) so one wants to be excited about the goal. We moved only once in the last 4 decades and it was nice a way to clear out the old stuff.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Moves are very expensive, in every way, especially when multiple house buys and sells are contemplated.

IMO once someone hits age 60, there ideally will be at most one unforced move in their future.

Again, to simplify, hurricanes and flooding are the telling reasons to leave New Orleans. Crime can be avoided by living in a high security high rise, and not going into dicey areas when out. Even if you do not wish to live together you and Frank could very comfortably live in the same building.

You said you had a recent break-in. These are very unsettling, I hope you are feeling secure again.

There are many burglaries in low crime Seattle, in neighborhoods of 3-$5 million dollar homes. There are break-ins everywhere, except where it is almost impossible, and there they still happen but just not often.

Ha
Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Well the good thing is if you move to the ozarks instead, W2R, you will not have to withdraw more money on that decision. Unless you change your mind and want to buy a mansion, I imagine your price point will be the same or less up there.
So true! In that case, I can just buy the house outright before my house even sells. Then, if I need to do renovations before moving in, I will have plenty to cover that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Sounds like you are looking at all the angles. Moves are tough (I think) so one wants to be excited about the goal. We moved only once in the last 4 decades and it was nice a way to clear out the old stuff.
The older I get, the tougher the idea of moving seems to get, too. I want to be settled into my new house before I am 70, for sure.

So (you guys will understand), I kind of laid down the law about the fact that I would be moving to another house in the next 1-3 years no matter what. I am tired of waiting on this. Gettin' tough and pushy in the way that we women can sometimes be. Frank and I need to make up our minds on this and if we don't, I'll move into another house here and stay here for the duration.

He is working on his end of this decision, and we are definitely planning a road trip up north later on this spring or summer to see if we are still excited about Springfield MO. Might brave the tarantulas, snakes, and blistering heat to drive through Texas on the way back.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Moves are very expensive, in every way, especially when multiple house buys and sells are contemplated.
There's the truck rental and gas, the strong backs to hire to load and unload it, renovations on the house and landscaping, closing costs, all the new furniture since we aren't taking much or any, and so much more. But then, what's money for, party like it's 1929 I suppose. Well, once I manage to extract more from my portfolio.

Quote:
IMO once someone hits age 60, there ideally will be at most one unforced move in their future.
This will be that one unforced move. The last time I moved was in 2002, and I was only a young lass of 54.

Quote:
Again, to simplify, hurricanes and flooding are the telling reasons to leave New Orleans. Crime can be avoided by living in a high security high rise, and not going into dicey areas when out.
That will be something I will be checking out if I end up buying here. If I had a million and a half to spend, I could find a really nice one but I am looking at much lower priced accomodations. I'll have to see what if anything I can find at my price point. BTW, you have figured out the two main reasons why we want to leave New Orleans. I am impressed, especially considering that you are probably on pain killers from the surgery still.

Quote:
Even if you do not wish to live together you and Frank could very comfortably live in the same building.
We'll have to see what is available that each of us can afford.

Quote:
You said you had a recent break-in. There are many burglaries in low crime Seattle, in neighborhoods of 3-$5 million dollar homes. There are break-ins everywhere, except where it is almost impossible, and there they still happen but just not often.
I know.... Look at what happened to John Lennon. He wasn't even inside his condo and he was shot dead, which of course something to be avoided as well.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
We decided to buy the new house before selling the old one, so we sold enough stock to buy the house out right. This worked out well because we ended up with cash from the sale of the old house and dumped it into Vanguard's Wellesley fund to use as part of our early retirement money.

Just for perspective - we did the "buy before selling" thing and I'd never do it again. It was great because we were able to clear all the junk out of the original house first, so it showed well. We moved 1 month after buying (the new house needed all new flooring, a new roof, and a fresh coat of interior paint). In total it was 10 weeks between buying the new house and selling the old house but I was a basket case worrying about the roof on the old house, the 2 HVAC units and all the other things that could break / need repair / need replacement during that time. It is one of the most influential causes in my OMY (x2) syndrome ! (Thankfully that can't happen to W2R !).

W2R - I'm with you on the "no mortgage ever again" thing. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions on slow and steady withdrawals, treating this as just a larger WR than you're used to. That's the way I'd go. Since you're in no rush you could manage it in a way that keeps your tax rate relatively low but clears up enough cash for your new place.

I look forward to reading about the house hunt. How about calling the Property Brothers ! (I love those guys)
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
[...] I look forward to reading about the house hunt. How about calling the Property Brothers ! (I love those guys)
I love the Property Brothers too, and probably would even if they were ugly

I just hope I don't back out of this move, whose planning is still in its infancy. Otherwise, instead of talking about the move-that-never-happened (back in 2010), I'd have to specify: the move-that-never-happened-Part-One or the move-that-never-happened-Part-Two.... Even if all goes well, I am sure it will not be fast. Houses still are not selling in my neighborhood and who knows what the market will be like here in a few years when I am trying to sell.

Thanks for the additional perspective about buying before selling.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #69

I've been living in a condo for the last six years; I was in a single family home for 30 years before that. I'm still conflicted about condo living. The location is great, the space is lovely, it is all fixed up the way I like--but I have moments when I long for the independence of the single family home. If I do decide to move I would no doubt have to move "up" in terms of house cost. It would also kill me to assume a mortgage again.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #70

Currently have two homes. Colorado home is about 4500 sq ft over 3 levels. Arizona home is 2400 sq ft with a 500sq ft casita. Would like to sell Colorado home and move to Arizona year round. Probably buy something a bit bigger in Az...maybe 3500 sq ft. We have lots of guests, grown kids, grandkids, etc so need a few extra beds.

The money we save dumping the one house will be used to pay for extended vacations when it gets too hot in the desert during July, August. At the end of the day I expect that we'll still come out significantly ahead over owning the two places plus we'll be putting a big check into savings and no longer have any type of mortgage.

Now, if I could just get my act together and get the Colorado house ready for sale!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love the Property Brothers too, and probably would even if they were ugly

I just hope I don't back out of this move, whose planning is still in its infancy. Otherwise, instead of talking about the move-that-never-happened (back in 2010), I'd have to specify: the move-that-never-happened-Part-One or the move-that-never-happened-Part-Two....
If you are motivated this could happen fairly quickly.
Quote:
Even if all goes well, I am sure it will not be fast. Houses still are not selling in my neighborhood and who knows what the market will be like here in a few years when I am trying to sell.
At the right price houses can be sold quickly. One could put this at the top of the priority list and launch full time into making it happen.

Right now the economy seems to be making progress, rates have not gone up a lot ... maybe it's a good time to make a change?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
The money we save dumping the one house will be used to pay for extended vacations when it gets too hot in the desert during July, August.
This is a nice setup. There are many places to go in July and August. Those are great months to visit the Pacific Northwest, the Northern Midwest states and places like Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. July may be a bad mosquito month, but August is prime.

Actually, you could rent a place in Colorado for those two months too.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

If it's within your means to enjoy a balance of living for today as well as for tomorrow then you've been good and ....lucky
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #74
Gone but not forgotten

If your neighborhood is going down I would suggest moving before you lose a lot of value in the house . I saw this happen way to often in New Jersey.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently building our retirement home (have purchased lot, currently working with architect and builder on design), with an expected cost 3.5x the value of our current home. I expect to retire about the time it is finished in one year. The size will be about 12% bigger, but finishes will be much, much nicer, and floor plan configured for retirement rather than raising kids. The purchase of he house has delayed my retirement by one year, as it is going to be double what I expected to spend.

I am paying cash out of my taxable investment accounts. We are saving about 70% of our income right now, and all of that is currently going to VG Prime MM to defray as much as possible. The balance will come from selling bond funds, as I was already tilting towards bonds over the past three years in anticipation of purchasing a house with cash. I plan to leave equities alone to avoid capital gains.

Why the high cost? It was the only way we could build a house that would make me and my wife both happy. I wanted a large lot in the county with a 2000 SF shop building. She wanted to be in a nice neighborhood in the city. It turns out that large acreage lots in nice neighborhoods in the city where you can build 2000 SF shop buildings are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #76
Gone but not forgotten

W2R... Please don't try to close this thread again... am using the story line in my new novel.
Promise to share the residuals...
Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post

Why the high cost? It was the only way we could build a house that would make me and my wife both happy. I wanted a large lot in the county with a 2000 SF shop building. She wanted to be in a nice neighborhood in the city. It turns out that large acreage lots in nice neighborhoods in the city where you can build 2000 SF shop buildings are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
With our newer home in November 2013, I did not win out with the lot and big shop I wanted , BUT I SURE BOUGHT A LOT OF NEW TOOLS INSTEAD!!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
With our newer home in November 2013, I did not win out with the lot and big shop I wanted , BUT I SURE BOUGHT A LOT OF NEW TOOLS INSTEAD!!
I have included an ample tool budget in the shop budget. What use is an empty shop?
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #79

The architect insisted I give up 8' x 11.5' of shop space for a small dining area. She obviously does not understand that more toys in the shop are more important than eating!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The architect insisted I give up 8' x 11.5' of shop space for a small dining area. She obviously does not understand that more toys in the shop are more important than eating!
Women are that way. Guys can be happy eating beans out of a pot over a camp stove but a well-equipped large shop is a necessity.

Some people's priorities are indeed a mystery.