Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody use the Retirement Calc on MarketWatch ??
Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anybody use the Retirement Calc on MarketWatch ??

Has anybody used the Retirement Spending Calculator on the MarketWatch website ??

Fidelity's Retirement Income Planner gave me good results based on real numbers, and I wanted a sanity check using MarketWatch's calculator. MW's input doesn't let you adjust for your true spending in Retirement (at least as far as I can find on their calculator). They simply put in a number for Housing, Medical, Transportation, etc. Their assumptions for Housing in my case are way off -- it's not going to be $11,335, but much less (mortgage is paid off, taxes less than $2K, and minimal maintenance). Their Transportation spending includes a car loan or lease payment (N/A in our case).

Unless you can enter true Retirement Spending Amounts.......this tool is useless.

Has anyone found a good Spending Calc on the Interwebs ??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FireCalc comes to mind.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDriver View Post
Has anyone found a good Spending Calc on the Interwebs ??
What would a retirement spending calculator do? I'd just build a spreadsheet, auto-increase the baseline spending for inflation (utilities, food, set-aside/escrow account for big expenses like cars, roof, etc), add/subtract any non-linear expenses (e.g. end of mortgage, start/stop payments for college, etc). A column for each year, then look at the totals at the bottom. I guess you could get fancy and build a chart with the results.
If you use the same inflation assumption as used in your acrual model (FIRECalc, etc) it will make the most sense.
Or, forget about inflation and do your accrual model in terms of real growth, use constant dollars. That makes things more intuitive in the outyears (to my way of thinking).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If you mean this one:
Retirement Planning Tool - Visual Calculator

Yes, I used it before I heard about firecalc. Both are good.

I basically ignored the housing part, knowing that it was over estimating, as I was more interested in the top line.
It would be better if you could set this value.

I did like the ability to set the inflation and return rates of various factors.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #5

Yes, that's the one on MW. Surprisingly lazy programming there, not allowing the user to set some key parameters like housing and cars.

I've used Firecalc and ******** with encouraging results. I just like playing with the numbers. Looks like I'm good. I have to be mindful when the RMD's start kicking in that I'm not boosted into a higher bracket.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If you mean this one:
Retirement Planning Tool - Visual Calculator

Yes, I used it before I heard about firecalc. Both are good.

I basically ignored the housing part, knowing that it was over estimating, as I was more interested in the top line.
It would be better if you could set this value.

I did like the ability to set the inflation and return rates of various factors.
I'm a bit confused about this calculator, I punched in the numbers with a retirement age of 56 (which for me is next year) and it said that I couldn't (or shouldn't) retire until 67. Then after looking through the the tabs, it has me spending almost twice my salary the first couple of years. Can't figure out why??

Any ideas?

I think I agree with original poster, I can't imagine how useful this tool is.

when I run my numbers on firecalc, I get a 98% chance of not running out of money for 34 years (age 90%). I did include my social security in the firecalc benefits.
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #7

As I recall, their Spending Assumptions are based on a prior year's salary. You pull down a tab that indicates a few different levels of Retired Spending as a percent of full pay check.

When you've developed an accurate budget for Retired Spending....why not let the user enter those real numbers. Again, Lazy Programming. I'll move on to use another calculator.