Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone 100% in Index Funds?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone 100% in Index Funds?

I don't have any index funds but after reading the following article on The Motley Fool, they sure sound good.

Index Funds | Index Mutual Funds | Investing in Index Funds

Especially of interest to me are the Vanguard S&P 500 Index and the Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index look interesting to me. Anyone invested in either of those? Happy about it?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i use about 60% managed funds and 40% index funds utilizing 2 different portfolios. for over 20 years my actively managed funds have beaten my index funds over all. i like the simplicity of the index funds, low cost is okay but not considered a priority over performance . the extra 1/2 % has brought me 1 to 2% better performance over the years.

i like the ability to trade in and out of certain etf funds if i want without waiting until the end of the day for 1 pricing.

tax wise the index funds are nice but can be quite a tax torpedo when you decide to sell or trade when very little taxes have been paid gradually all along like with active funds.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We would be 100% index... except some money in in a PST with limited fund options... so there is a sizable amount in an actively managed fund and in company stock.

We will transition everything to index funds over the next few years. Currently, we are about 70% index.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Index funds
Old 12-31-2007, 06:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Index funds

Outside of the 401k at work and some individual shares I hold that were bought in my younger days, I only invest with Vanguard and only in index funds. Besides the S&P 500 fund, they also have the Total Stock Market Index, which gives more small and mid cap holdings, and then dozens of slices and permutations of the market. If you are able to invest over $100k in a single fund, they have Admiral shares for most funds, which are a lower cost share class, otherwise identical, with costs about half of the Investor funds.

If you do not think you can beat the market, or find funds that can, or do not want to try, this is a great alternative. My thinking is that I do not need to beat the market, merely just be the market. As far as taxes, yes my capital gains will be (thankfully) huge when I sell, but I will manage that. After ER, I will live off the dividends, currently about 2%, and slowly sell some shares as I need to and pay the capital gains tax. Might even only be at 5% depending on the tax structure then in place. I would much rather have the taxes deferred, since I hold that money and it grows over the years.
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Our 401(k) plans do not have index funds in the asset classes that we want held in those plans such as fixed income, REITs and small cap value.

In our non-401(k) accounts, we only buy index funds nowadays. We will use regular index mutual funds and also index exchange-traded funds. We do have some legacy actively-managed mutual funds that we will sell whenever the taxes to do so are manageable.

If you want to really check out positive opinions of index funds, go to Guide to the Vanguard Diehards Forums
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I'm 60% in index funds all vanguard .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

over 90% in index funds.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #8

60% Index funds, S&P, Extended Market, International, all FIDO Spartan MFs. .07 ERs.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I don't have any index funds but after reading the following article on The Motley Fool, they sure sound good.

Index Funds | Index Mutual Funds | Investing in Index Funds

Especially of interest to me are the Vanguard S&P 500 Index and the Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index look interesting to me. Anyone invested in either of those? Happy about it?
Index funds are great (though no, I am not 100% in index funds or anything else... I have some cash, and TSP "G Fund" and other funds, and managed funds in my Roth IRA).

As for these two funds, I have a little Vanguard 500 in my taxable account. It, and Vanguard's Emerging Markets VEIEX are both perfectly good funds to have in your portfoliio.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Almost all index funds, almost all with Vanguard (would if I could). Very happy with all of them.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Index investing delivers at least 70% of the returns for about 5% of the effort and a fraction of the costs.

But if you don't have a U.S. mailing address then Vanguard ETFs are probably better than Vanguard index mutual funds. And ETFs from companies like Barclays' iShares or PowerShares may be even better.

We've been treated so well by Fidelity over the last couple decades that we've never had any motivation to go to Vanguard, and we don't use their funds. If an investor has to change brokers then it's a lot easier to stick with assets that can be transferred in-kind and without extra fees for buying/selling.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Trek, are you a resident of Estonia, an Expat, or are you just travelling/temporarily living there?

By the way, I'm 100% index, except for my emergency funds. Most is at Vanguard, but because of terrible 401K choices some funds our from other vendors.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I am 100% in index funds, outside of my Vanguard money markets funds and equity ownership in my small business. I am completely happy with the results.

My index funds are mostly Vanguard but because of 401(k) and 403(b) limitations, also include Fidelity (spartan funds are as good as Vanguard) and Mutual Of America (Ugg!).

The key with index funds is the asset allocation issue. I am invested in large, medium and small US indexes, short and intermediate term US bond indexes, emerging and developed overseas indexes and REIT indexes. My allocation is NOT market weighted, but is weighted toward US and Small equities, and is 65% equity and 35% cash/bonds. The only assets I do not invest in are overseas bond, precious metals and commodities. These will come when they are not overpriced (yes that is market timing).

I own no managed funds unless you consider money market funds to be managed.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM   #14

Mine is a mix of Janus, Vanguard, and cash accounts at various banks. They all have done very well for me over the years in their own ways.

I'm sticking to my investment model for now.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Other than Prime money market fund and TIPS (neither of which have index funds) at Vanguard, I am almost 100% in index funds. I prefer the Total Stock market Index fund to the S&P 500, though the LT returns are quite simular. I only hold the EM fund as part of the Total International Index fund.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I am roughly 60% in ETFs only because I do not have that choice for my 401k funds. My wife, who is retired, has 100% ETFs in her IRA. I will most likely do the same when I pull the plug.

Milkman
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #17

100% of my portfolio is invested with the following Vanguard funds:

Total Stock Market Index-50%
Total Bond Market Index-9%
Intermediate Term Treasuries-23%
Inflation-Protected Securities-12%
Prime Money Market-6%
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #18

20% index funds.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #19

Thanks for the replies, I think Index funds are in my future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But if you don't have a U.S. mailing address then Vanguard ETFs are probably better than Vanguard index mutual funds. And ETFs from companies like Barclays' iShares or PowerShares may be even better.
I do have a U.S. mailing address (street address at my mail forwarding company) and a U.S. phone number (through Skype).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko
Trek, are you a resident of Estonia, an Expat, or are you just travelling/temporarily living there?
American/Estonian dual citizen, but I'm full-time ER'd in Estonia.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 AM   #20

Though I got to thinking if I die, can my wife get my assets in the U.S. relatively trouble free or would that be a severe hassle, her not being a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident? I assume she wouldn't be able to keep the funds as they were.

Just sent an email to Vanguard about it, see what they say.