Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else get a job for health insurance? Officially un-retired.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone else get a job for health insurance? Officially un-retired.

I decided to go back to work, and a non-burnout opportunity fell in my lap. The lowest cost bronze plan which wouldn't force us to change doctors and hospitals would cost us $21,600. Last year there were no bronze plans that fit the bill, so we went with the lowest cost silver plan which was about the same. If any plan was HSA compatible, we would probably be able to squeak into a MAGI of < $64,080 and get a huge premium break. But not a single plan is HSA compatible.

Last spring I got a call about doing some work at my local hospital in my old group, but working with an entirely new group of doctors who are really good. I figured I would work about 8 shifts a month or less, but they were so desperate at the start I worked 15. It is virtually all night work, which I really enjoy. Yes, it was too much. It seems every few shifts what I do makes a huge difference in a child's life, and I enjoy the detective working in diagnosing some of the unusual problems I see. Also, that health insurance premium is double what I expected to pay. I really don't want to spend so much for health insurance in the coming years, if it even will be available. If I can cut that expense for a few years and be happy, why not?

I'm actually enjoying the work immensely--it's such a different atmosphere. Our ER is so much better than it was before, and the young new ER docs are top notch. (As a peds hospitalist, working at night, a lot of the work is done in the ER). So I asked for a contract to work just enough to qualify for health insurance for the coming year, which is 11 shifts per month. The negotiation was really easy--I was offered the same salary as I was making working 20 shifts per month. And with other interesting benefits--Health insurance that will cost 4-5x less, my son can be carried on it for another year per their policy, which helps him, and a ROTH 401K, which didn't exist before, it is pretty attractive. I also have enough control over my schedule that I can travel the way I planned to anyway, build up a better cash position, help DS pay for grad school (local master's program), and do the music activities I want to do.

It's weird to be excited about working--I haven't been happy at work more than a couple of years in my career, but these past few months have been very enjoyable. I guess I'm not burned out anymore. The only problem is I need to become a much better gym rat than I've been.

Last, this is the first time I've been on salary with benefits without any debt at all. It's kind of nice to be able to pad our current and future lifestyle.

So move me out of the class of 2016 into the class of ?
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Backslider.

j/k. Congratulations on finding something you enjoy doing, even if it is work.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sister, an OB-Gyn, became a hospitalist a few years ago and loves it. She gets to practice medicine and avoid most of the paperwork, and her hours are predictable.

Sounds like you got a great opportunity.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Terrific, sounds so wonderful that you found a solution to your issue and it comes with a bunch of benefits (especially the ROTH 401K).

Besides you are helping out the country - easing the doctor shortage

I had to add, it sounds so much better than the usual thought you hear of getting a job for health benefits by working at Walmart or McD's
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I’m happy that you’re happy. It sounds as if some radical improvements have been made at your workplace since you left. It may we’ll be that your departure was a driver of those changes.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

Congrats on finding a work/life balance that works for you. Many people who leave highly technical fields for a while can't return. In my case, after 11 years self-employed I would make a dreadful employee. Pity the boss who gets me as a subordinate. 😎
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

I feel like I have a job just for health insurance. Work life balance isn't as good as I would like, and certainly not as good as if I could FIRE, but my health conditions and age mean too much exposure without an employer provided plan. With all the talk about changing rules, I do not believe I can take the risk that I would be unable to find adequate coverage at a reasonable price, so my best option seems to be continue to work until I'm old enough for COBRA to get me to Medicare age.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
It seems every few shifts what I do makes a huge difference in a child's life, and I enjoy the detective working in diagnosing some of the unusual problems I see.
I recall some of your pre-retirement posts and this just says, Wow! I think it's great you found a way to continue to do what you love and help your own future at the same time.

I couldn't image what it would be like to help change or save a child's life.😁

The best I ever did was save online systems from crashing. It's not the same.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

After I was laid off in 2013, I thought I was pretty much retired. A few months into it I decided to apply for a job at a post office a few miles down the road -- just (usually) working 3 hours on Saturday mornings, just to give me something to do.

One thing led to another, and by 2015 I was a part-time career employee, meaning I usually work 20-24 hours a week on average, but get full benefits including great health insurance.

I don't care for all the early mornings or the erratic schedules, but there are far worse deals than getting Cadillac health insurance at almost no cost for working little more than half-time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #10

Good for you! The key is to stay flexible and enjoy what comes your way. Good luck.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
After I was laid off in 2013, I thought I was pretty much retired. A few months into it I decided to apply for a job at a post office a few miles down the road -- just (usually) working 3 hours on Saturday mornings, just to give me something to do.

One thing led to another, and by 2015 I was a part-time career employee, meaning I usually work 20-24 hours a week on average, but get full benefits including great health insurance.

I don't care for all the early mornings or the erratic schedules, but there are far worse deals than getting Cadillac health insurance at almost no cost for working little more than half-time.
When I was in college I landed a job as a substitute rural mail carrier at a small-town post office. About once a week I had to get up at 5 to be at the PO at 6, sort the mail, and head out in the countryside on my own for about half the shift.

About the time I graduated, a full-time slot opened up as a clerk. Many times early in my career I looked back at that passed-up opportunity and wondered if I had made the right decision.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #12

The group imploded and is rebuilding without toxic relationships. All the toxic managers left, which also helped. New department chairman. No bad relationships. And the work is varied. Another nice thing about working nights is I never have to drag myself out of bed to shovel snow in the dark and face a commute. Last and best-no management around[emoji16].
Old 11-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #13

not yet. Still hoping I won't have to.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #14

I went back once bc I got bored but never for benefits

Glad you got what you needed
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

No not for HI. I do a part time job but very part time for the purpose of being around some people and for the exercise only.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I feel like I have a job just for health insurance. Work life balance isn't as good as I would like, and certainly not as good as if I could FIRE, but my health conditions and age mean too much exposure without an employer provided plan. With all the talk about changing rules, I do not believe I can take the risk that I would be unable to find adequate coverage at a reasonable price, so my best option seems to be continue to work until I'm old enough for COBRA to get me to Medicare age.
I went from FT to PT work this year, and I feel like I am primarily working part-time just for the health insurance. I am 16 years from Medicare, so a lot can change regarding the ACA during that long of a time period. While my health is good now, I don't want to take the risk that I can't find decent, affordable coverage for the next 16 years. Fortunately, my DH is older and is on Medicare, so we only need to worry about coverage for me. Maybe in a couple of years, we'll re-evaluate access to affordable healthcare and I can fully retire. Another few years of working will also help our nest egg grow so that we would have more cushion to cover possibly higher health insurance premiums.
FrugalLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The group imploded and is rebuilding without toxic relationships. All the toxic managers left, which also helped. New department chairman. No bad relationships. And the work is varied. Another nice thing about working nights is I never have to drag myself out of bed to shovel snow in the dark and face a commute. Last and best-no management around[emoji16].
I'm really glad for you because it seemed at some level you still wanted to "serve" but were prevented by the toxic environment.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #18

And it is a much less exhausting pace of work.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
And it is a much less exhausting pace of work.
So, lemme get this straight. Fewer hours, same pay, better & enjoyable work environment, and a big discount on health insurance. I would go back to work with this conditions. Hope it works out.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

No.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote