Anyone else get a job for health insurance? Officially un-retired.

EastWest Gal

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I decided to go back to work, and a non-burnout opportunity fell in my lap. The lowest cost bronze plan which wouldn't force us to change doctors and hospitals would cost us $21,600. Last year there were no bronze plans that fit the bill, so we went with the lowest cost silver plan which was about the same. If any plan was HSA compatible, we would probably be able to squeak into a MAGI of < $64,080 and get a huge premium break. But not a single plan is HSA compatible.

Last spring I got a call about doing some work at my local hospital in my old group, but working with an entirely new group of doctors who are really good. I figured I would work about 8 shifts a month or less, but they were so desperate at the start I worked 15. It is virtually all night work, which I really enjoy. Yes, it was too much. It seems every few shifts what I do makes a huge difference in a child's life, and I enjoy the detective working in diagnosing some of the unusual problems I see. Also, that health insurance premium is double what I expected to pay. I really don't want to spend so much for health insurance in the coming years, if it even will be available. If I can cut that expense for a few years and be happy, why not?

I'm actually enjoying the work immensely--it's such a different atmosphere. Our ER is so much better than it was before, and the young new ER docs are top notch. (As a peds hospitalist, working at night, a lot of the work is done in the ER). So I asked for a contract to work just enough to qualify for health insurance for the coming year, which is 11 shifts per month. The negotiation was really easy--I was offered the same salary as I was making working 20 shifts per month. And with other interesting benefits--Health insurance that will cost 4-5x less, my son can be carried on it for another year per their policy, which helps him, and a ROTH 401K, which didn't exist before, it is pretty attractive. I also have enough control over my schedule that I can travel the way I planned to anyway, build up a better cash position, help DS pay for grad school (local master's program), and do the music activities I want to do.

It's weird to be excited about working--I haven't been happy at work more than a couple of years in my career, but these past few months have been very enjoyable. I guess I'm not burned out anymore. The only problem is I need to become a much better gym rat than I've been.

Last, this is the first time I've been on salary with benefits without any debt at all. It's kind of nice to be able to pad our current and future lifestyle.

So move me out of the class of 2016 into the class of ?

My sister, an OB-Gyn, became a hospitalist a few years ago and loves it. She gets to practice medicine and avoid most of the paperwork, and her hours are predictable.

Sounds like you got a great opportunity.

Terrific, sounds so wonderful that you found a solution to your issue and it comes with a bunch of benefits (especially the ROTH 401K).

Besides you are helping out the country - easing the doctor shortage :)

I had to add, it sounds so much better than the usual thought you hear of getting a job for health benefits by working at Walmart or McD's

Last edited:
I’m happy that you’re happy. It sounds as if some radical improvements have been made at your workplace since you left. It may we’ll be that your departure was a driver of those changes.

Congrats on finding a work/life balance that works for you. Many people who leave highly technical fields for a while can't return. In my case, after 11 years self-employed I would make a dreadful employee. Pity the boss who gets me as a subordinate. 😎

I feel like I have a job just for health insurance. Work life balance isn't as good as I would like, and certainly not as good as if I could FIRE, but my health conditions and age mean too much exposure without an employer provided plan. With all the talk about changing rules, I do not believe I can take the risk that I would be unable to find adequate coverage at a reasonable price, so my best option seems to be continue to work until I'm old enough for COBRA to get me to Medicare age.

It seems every few shifts what I do makes a huge difference in a child's life, and I enjoy the detective working in diagnosing some of the unusual problems I see.

I recall some of your pre-retirement posts and this just says, Wow! I think it's great you found a way to continue to do what you love and help your own future at the same time.

I couldn't image what it would be like to help change or save a child's life.😁

The best I ever did was save online systems from crashing. It's not the same.

After I was laid off in 2013, I thought I was pretty much retired. A few months into it I decided to apply for a job at a post office a few miles down the road -- just (usually) working 3 hours on Saturday mornings, just to give me something to do.

One thing led to another, and by 2015 I was a part-time career employee, meaning I usually work 20-24 hours a week on average, but get full benefits including great health insurance.

I don't care for all the early mornings or the erratic schedules, but there are far worse deals than getting Cadillac health insurance at almost no cost for working little more than half-time.

Good for you! The key is to stay flexible and enjoy what comes your way. Good luck.

After I was laid off in 2013, I thought I was pretty much retired. A few months into it I decided to apply for a job at a post office a few miles down the road -- just (usually) working 3 hours on Saturday mornings, just to give me something to do.

One thing led to another, and by 2015 I was a part-time career employee, meaning I usually work 20-24 hours a week on average, but get full benefits including great health insurance.

I don't care for all the early mornings or the erratic schedules, but there are far worse deals than getting Cadillac health insurance at almost no cost for working little more than half-time.

When I was in college I landed a job as a substitute rural mail carrier at a small-town post office. About once a week I had to get up at 5 to be at the PO at 6, sort the mail, and head out in the countryside on my own for about half the shift.

About the time I graduated, a full-time slot opened up as a clerk. Many times early in my career I looked back at that passed-up opportunity and wondered if I had made the right decision.

The group imploded and is rebuilding without toxic relationships. All the toxic managers left, which also helped. New department chairman. No bad relationships. And the work is varied. Another nice thing about working nights is I never have to drag myself out of bed to shovel snow in the dark and face a commute. Last and best-no management around[emoji16].

No not for HI. I do a part time job but very part time for the purpose of being around some people and for the exercise only.

I feel like I have a job just for health insurance. Work life balance isn't as good as I would like, and certainly not as good as if I could FIRE, but my health conditions and age mean too much exposure without an employer provided plan. With all the talk about changing rules, I do not believe I can take the risk that I would be unable to find adequate coverage at a reasonable price, so my best option seems to be continue to work until I'm old enough for COBRA to get me to Medicare age.

I went from FT to PT work this year, and I feel like I am primarily working part-time just for the health insurance. I am 16 years from Medicare, so a lot can change regarding the ACA during that long of a time period. While my health is good now, I don't want to take the risk that I can't find decent, affordable coverage for the next 16 years. Fortunately, my DH is older and is on Medicare, so we only need to worry about coverage for me. Maybe in a couple of years, we'll re-evaluate access to affordable healthcare and I can fully retire. Another few years of working will also help our nest egg grow so that we would have more cushion to cover possibly higher health insurance premiums.

The group imploded and is rebuilding without toxic relationships. All the toxic managers left, which also helped. New department chairman. No bad relationships. And the work is varied. Another nice thing about working nights is I never have to drag myself out of bed to shovel snow in the dark and face a commute. Last and best-no management around[emoji16].

I'm really glad for you because it seemed at some level you still wanted to "serve" but were prevented by the toxic environment.

And it is a much less exhausting pace of work.

So, lemme get this straight. Fewer hours, same pay, better & enjoyable work environment, and a big discount on health insurance. I would go back to work with this conditions. Hope it works out. :)

My optimum phase into retirement plan would be to work part-time before full retirement, primarily for the health insurance. I am hoping that Megacorp makes our group eligible for a phase into retirement program that has you working 20-24 hours a week at 65-70% of your base pay, but with full medical benefits. It came up earlier this year but my division was not eligible to participate. Doing that for a year, plus a year of COBRA, then 3 or so years to use up the retire health allowance would cover us with much lower premiums until Medicare eligibility.

... I asked for a contract to work just enough to qualify for health insurance for the coming year, which is 11 shifts per month. The negotiation was really easy--I was offered the same salary as I was making working 20 shifts per month. And with other interesting benefits--Health insurance that will cost 4-5x less, my son can be carried on it for another year per their policy, which helps him, and a ROTH 401K, which didn't exist before, it is pretty attractive...

There's no shame in enjoying your work (and the pay too). :)

It so happened that I was recently contacted by a colleague at a former megacorp, who said management asked if I wanted to go back for consulting like I did on a part-time basis for some years before I quit for real. I turned them down without getting to the negotiation.

It set me in a bad mood for a few days. They had a lot of interesting work, but the politics that drove me away never changes. It was a shame, because I enjoyed the work (and the money), and they liked my work. It could have been a win-win situation, but something always happened to mess things up. My wife suggested that the stress could have caused my health problem, which is now cured. Don't know if it was true.

At this point I don't need the money, but would feel good if they value my work with a high pay. But then, is the stress worth it?

By the way, the healthcare premium skyrocketed under ACA because the coverage is expanded (unlimited lifetime benefit, no pre-existing condition exclusion, etc...). I was able to pay on my own before ACA, but it is now outrageous as you noted. Yet, this year, I have not used any service and will skip the annual check up too.

If I could not get some premium subsidy, it would hurt like crazy, even though I could still afford it. I might have to go back to work and die from stress. :)

Last edited:
So, lemme get this straight. Fewer hours, same pay, better & enjoyable work environment, and a big discount on health insurance. I would go back to work with this conditions. Hope it works out. :)

I would add: the option to quit, and FIRE again if it didn't work out, without fear of the unknown. Win, win.

Glad you found a situation that works for you. I know what you mean about night shift. I volunteer at a local hospital and had thought that post-ER, I'd move to day shift. But the nurses on nights told me how different the atmosphere is during the day so I've just continued with my 7 pm shift.

DH & I built a pretty nice contingency up for healthcare pre-ER, so I really hope it will be enough. We're still 8 years away from Medicare, and that's if they don't raise the age between now & then. After being retired for a year now, it would be very difficult for either of us to go back to j*bs. We'd rather reduce other discretionary spending if need be. But neither of us felt the same level of meaning in our careers. We certainly weren't saving any lives as corporate folks.

Kind of the same...spent 2 full years in Mexico (ER test). Moved back to TX for DW's over active safety gland problem (she's been in the insurance biz way too long)...Got a j*b at a prior employer from 10 years earlier...

Fast forward 2 years and change, DD had our first DGD, bought a house .5 mile away, j*b allows for use of tools for my hobby and lots of scraps to play with. DW insurance skyrocketed, so we put her on mine and this year they offered an HSA. Still doing 4-5 weeks / yr travel as I negotiated PTO with the boss...Seems to be going my way for the most part...still miss ER some days, therefore my post.

Latest project this week...coffee table.

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_090904.jpg
    IMG_20171111_090904.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom